Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Effective, baby friendly way to get rid of flies

Somehow we have a house fly invasion going on right now.

What would be a safe way to kill them all, that would be child and
baby friendly. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus10329 wrote:
Somehow we have a house fly invasion going on right now.

What would be a safe way to kill them all, that would be child and
baby friendly. Thanks.

Hi,
Stick strips. Hang couple of them here and there in the house.
Can find them at Dolor stores.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ignoramus10329" wrote in message
Somehow we have a house fly invasion going on right now.

What would be a safe way to kill them all, that would be child and
baby friendly. Thanks.

hardware stores sell "flies bait" that looks like a translucent plastic cup
with small holes on top and a powder "drink" mix to attract flies into the
cup

just make sure the baby and anyone else cannot reach this and drink it. The
drink mix is not toxic, but after flies died in it...

if you find a large concentration of flies at a particular spot, just vacuum
them

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 04:37:31 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
qualm, Ignoramus10329 quickly
quoth:

Somehow we have a house fly invasion going on right now.

What would be a safe way to kill them all, that would be child and
baby friendly. Thanks.

4,763 rolls of fly paper, Ig.
Jewelcome.

P.S: Stop leaving food around. The single fly which landed in that
left thousands of his buddies to clean up after you.

--
Heard of the Frisbee Religion? They believe that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope I'm not the only one here old enough to remember fly paper and
fly swatters, both of which are still sold in hardware stores and are
child-friendly in the right hands, LOL!

Jo Ann

Ignoramus10329 wrote:
Somehow we have a house fly invasion going on right now.

What would be a safe way to kill them all, that would be child and
baby friendly. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:08:35 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 04:37:31 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
qualm, Ignoramus10329 quickly
quoth:

Somehow we have a house fly invasion going on right now.

What would be a safe way to kill them all, that would be child and
baby friendly. Thanks.

4,763 rolls of fly paper, Ig.
Jewelcome.

P.S: Stop leaving food around. The single fly which landed in that
left thousands of his buddies to clean up after you.

I do not know what happened, suddenly we have flies all over.

I will indeed buy fly paper. I am thinking of making some "fly
attractant", by, say, wrapping a jar with fly paper and putting a
small light bulb inside, or some such.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fly swatter.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"Ignoramus10329" wrote in message
Somehow we have a house fly invasion going on right now.

What would be a safe way to kill them all, that would be child and
baby friendly. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Jul 2006 06:50:29 -0700, Jo Ann wrote:
I hope I'm not the only one here old enough to remember fly paper and
fly swatters, both of which are still sold in hardware stores and are
child-friendly in the right hands, LOL!

I will definitely buy both today. The fly paper, though, does not work
well, but it is better than nothing.

Jo Ann

Ignoramus10329 wrote:
Somehow we have a house fly invasion going on right now.

What would be a safe way to kill them all, that would be child and
baby friendly. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus5766 writes:
I will indeed buy fly paper. I am thinking of making some "fly
attractant", by, say, wrapping a jar with fly paper and putting a
small light bulb inside, or some such.

You can also make a funnel trap with a 2l plastic bottle.
cut the bottle off just below where the flare at the top ends.
Remove the top. Which should look like a funnel.
(works well as one, btw.
Place some sort of attractant in the bottle.
Place the top back on the bottle, with the narrow part "inside".

here are instructions for a fruit fly trap:
http://www.smm.org/sln/tf/t/2literbo...terbottle.html
only they cut the bottom off and use a butter container.
Perhaps easier to empty.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Jul 2006 10:25:24 -0400, Philip Lewis wrote:
Ignoramus5766 writes:
I will indeed buy fly paper. I am thinking of making some "fly
attractant", by, say, wrapping a jar with fly paper and putting a
small light bulb inside, or some such.

You can also make a funnel trap with a 2l plastic bottle.
cut the bottle off just below where the flare at the top ends.
Remove the top. Which should look like a funnel.
(works well as one, btw.
Place some sort of attractant in the bottle.
Place the top back on the bottle, with the narrow part "inside".

here are instructions for a fruit fly trap:
http://www.smm.org/sln/tf/t/2literbo...terbottle.html
only they cut the bottom off and use a butter container.
Perhaps easier to empty.

You know, it sounds very interesting and educational and I think that
I will do it for my son's education, but it seems to be geared for
fruit flies, not house flies. Good idea though, thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:22:00 -0400, Charlie Morgan wrote:

Ignoramus5766 writes:
I will indeed buy fly paper. I am thinking of making some "fly
attractant", by, say, wrapping a jar with fly paper and putting a
small light bulb inside, or some such.

You can also make a funnel trap with a 2l plastic bottle.
cut the bottle off just below where the flare at the top ends.
Remove the top. Which should look like a funnel.
(works well as one, btw.
Place some sort of attractant in the bottle.
Place the top back on the bottle, with the narrow part "inside".

here are instructions for a fruit fly trap:
http://www.smm.org/sln/tf/t/2literbo...terbottle.html
only they cut the bottom off and use a butter container.
Perhaps easier to empty.

You know, it sounds very interesting and educational and I think that
I will do it for my son's education, but it seems to be geared for
fruit flies, not house flies. Good idea though, thanks.

I've used soda botle traps such as that for houseflies (omit the cap
completely) and it worked okay. It won't usually catch them by the
hundreds, though. If you put something like pig poop in it, it would
attract more business, but I don't think that would be so good for
indoor use! I put sugar mixed with fruit juice in them and they worked
okay to keep the fly population at bay after I got rid of the masses.
Cluster flies are a big problem in the northeast for vacation homes.
When you arrive and turn the heat up after the house has been cold for
a while, the flies come to life and hundreds come out. It has nothing
to do with leaving food out, or how clean you keep things.

The reason the bottle trap traps the flies is that they are unable to
take off going straight up. They can only take off at an angle.

OK, I have nothing to lose and will make a bottle trap today! I will
put some juice there etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 04:56:42 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Ignoramus10329 wrote:
Somehow we have a house fly invasion going on right now.

What would be a safe way to kill them all, that would be child and
baby friendly. Thanks.

Hi,
Stick strips. Hang couple of them here and there in the house.
Can find them at Dolor stores.

Is that REALLY what they sell there (notice the spelling/typing
error)?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus10329 wrote:
Somehow we have a house fly invasion going on right now.

What would be a safe way to kill them all, that would be child and
baby friendly. Thanks.

Some rodent probably died somewhere in your house.

Anyway, in addition to what's been suggested, those electric fly
swatters are kinda fun.

If you want to impress people and don't mind a little fly on your hand,
use the Boston Swat (I think that's what it is called). Hold your
hands about 2 feet apart palms facing each other centered a couple
inches over and just a little behind a fly.

When you slap your hands together, the fly will seeming jump right into
your hands. Once you get the technique down, you'll have a near 95%
kill rate and no mess on the walls. Just wash your hands afterwards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cleaning up the dog mess helps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:52:03 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
qualm, Ignoramus5766 quickly
quoth:

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:08:35 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 04:37:31 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
qualm, Ignoramus10329 quickly
quoth:

Somehow we have a house fly invasion going on right now.

What would be a safe way to kill them all, that would be child and
baby friendly. Thanks.

4,763 rolls of fly paper, Ig.
Jewelcome.

P.S: Stop leaving food around. The single fly which landed in that
left thousands of his buddies to clean up after you.

I do not know what happened, suddenly we have flies all over.

I will indeed buy fly paper. I am thinking of making some "fly
attractant", by, say, wrapping a jar with fly paper and putting a
small light bulb inside, or some such.

I'm in Grants Pass, Oregon and my neighbor had an infestation of what
seems to have been cluster flies last winter. One day there were no
flies in the house, the next day there were over 200 in one window
alone. Very strange. Happily, I've never seen them.

--
Heard of the Frisbee Religion? They believe that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down.
----
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have used electronic Bug Zappers indoors. They are meant for
outside, but work just fine indoors and are harmless unless you stick
your finger inside and get zapped. Hang from ceiling and baby cant
get to it unless baby climbs ladders

Be sure to put some sort of pan under it, or there will be dead bugs
all over the floor. I modified a cat litter box to hang below the
zapper. It aint pretty but it does the job. Of course you do get to
listen to them fry SNAP SNAP SNAP....

Mark

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 04:37:31 +0000 (UTC), Ignoramus10329
wrote:

Somehow we have a house fly invasion going on right now.

What would be a safe way to kill them all, that would be child and
baby friendly. Thanks.

Building Ground (long-...sorry) jakdedert Electronics Repair 32 May 19th 06 05:03 AM
Drain flies Rod UK diy 14 May 7th 06 06:11 PM
Little tiny flies around sinks and toilet Curly Sue Home Repair 3 July 5th 05 02:41 PM
OT-: Mexican Woman Performs Own Caesarean to Save Baby Gunner Metalworking 4 April 9th 04 03:22 AM