Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus5766 Ignoramus5766 is offline

Default Effective, baby friendly way to get rid of flies

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:22:00 -0400, Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:41:07 +0000 (UTC), Ignoramus5766
wrote:

On 21 Jul 2006 10:25:24 -0400, Philip Lewis wrote:
Ignoramus5766 writes:
I will indeed buy fly paper. I am thinking of making some "fly
attractant", by, say, wrapping a jar with fly paper and putting a
small light bulb inside, or some such.

You can also make a funnel trap with a 2l plastic bottle.
cut the bottle off just below where the flare at the top ends.
Remove the top. Which should look like a funnel.
(works well as one, btw.
Place some sort of attractant in the bottle.
Place the top back on the bottle, with the narrow part "inside".

here are instructions for a fruit fly trap:
http://www.smm.org/sln/tf/t/2literbo...terbottle.html
only they cut the bottom off and use a butter container.
Perhaps easier to empty.

You know, it sounds very interesting and educational and I think that
I will do it for my son's education, but it seems to be geared for
fruit flies, not house flies. Good idea though, thanks.

I've used soda botle traps such as that for houseflies (omit the cap
completely) and it worked okay. It won't usually catch them by the
hundreds, though. If you put something like pig poop in it, it would
attract more business, but I don't think that would be so good for
indoor use! I put sugar mixed with fruit juice in them and they worked
okay to keep the fly population at bay after I got rid of the masses.
Cluster flies are a big problem in the northeast for vacation homes.
When you arrive and turn the heat up after the house has been cold for
a while, the flies come to life and hundreds come out. It has nothing
to do with leaving food out, or how clean you keep things.

The reason the bottle trap traps the flies is that they are unable to
take off going straight up. They can only take off at an angle.

OK, I have nothing to lose and will make a bottle trap today! I will
put some juice there etc.