Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet Ring, Above or flush with the Floor?

Its been a while since I took a toilet apart and replaced the Wax Ring, I
forget if the Mounting Ring is flush with the Floor or sits on the floor?

We are putting in a new bathroom and putting in Tile. Should the Ring sit on
the backer board or be flush with the tile surface?

Thanks,
Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair
sky sky is offline

Scott Townsend wrote:
Its been a while since I took a toilet apart and replaced the Wax Ring, I
forget if the Mounting Ring is flush with the Floor or sits on the floor?

We are putting in a new bathroom and putting in Tile. Should the Ring sit on
the backer board or be flush with the tile surface?

Thanks,
Scott-

sits on the floor
flush with the tile surface

Ideally, the wax ring should sit flush with the waste pipe mounting
flange.
And that should be roughed in flush with the finished floor.
a wax ring that comes with a funnel type collar, will allow you some
leeway.

Depends on how thick you make the new floor, and that's usually more
than the
collar type will allow

Check original mounting flange 'some' were adjustable, but if yours
is
rusted tooo much, plumbing suppliers have adapters that can bring you
up to new rough-in dimensions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:05:43 GMT, "Scott Townsend"
wrote:

Its been a while since I took a toilet apart and replaced the Wax Ring, I
forget if the Mounting Ring is flush with the Floor or sits on the floor?

We are putting in a new bathroom and putting in Tile. Should the Ring sit on
the backer board or be flush with the tile surface?

Thanks,
Scott-

I have a closet flange that sits below the floor, and didn't like
stacking rings to make it work(leak free), so I was told to extend it
to flush with the floor.

So from this advice, I guess you can be flush to below, but best to
check with manufacturer's instructions.

imho,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

plumbing suppliers have adapters that can bring you up to new rough-in dimensions.

http://www.quickfixplumbingproducts....0extenders.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Its a New bathroom and new floor, so right now there is a 3" ABS Pipe that
is Flush with the plywood subfloor. When we put the Backer board down we
didn't leave room for the flange figuring that it would sit on the
Backerboard and then be pretty close to flush with the finished floor.

Thanks!
"sky" wrote in message
ups.com...

Scott Townsend wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
sky sky is offline

I have seen no more than two wax rings stacked, but then you usually
have to trim one of the rings (messy), use too much compression when
seating rings, and they will crack.

Adapters are the way to go, besides, anything more than two rings, and
your getting into rube goldberg's territory.

wrote:

Its been a while since I took a toilet apart and replaced the Wax Ring, I
forget if the Mounting Ring is flush with the Floor or sits on the floor?

We are putting in a new bathroom and putting in Tile. Should the Ring sit on
the backer board or be flush with the tile surface?

Thanks,
Scott-

I have a closet flange that sits below the floor, and didn't like
stacking rings to make it work(leak free), so I was told to extend it
to flush with the floor.

So from this advice, I guess you can be flush to below, but best to
check with manufacturer's instructions.

imho,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair
sky sky is offline

Ahhhh.....Scott, Not to cast dispersions on your project.....But.
Is 3" allowed in your area? I always thought waste pipe for toilets
had to be 4"
maybe I'm getting old, and not keeping up with the times????g

Scott Townsend wrote:
Its a New bathroom and new floor, so right now there is a 3" ABS Pipe that
is Flush with the plywood subfloor. When we put the Backer board down we
didn't leave room for the flange figuring that it would sit on the
Backerboard and then be pretty close to flush with the finished floor.

Thanks!
"sky" wrote in message
ups.com...

Scott Townsend wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
says...

plumbing suppliers have adapters that can bring you up to new rough-in dimensions.

http://www.quickfixplumbingproducts....0extenders.htm

I didn't want to move the plumbing so cut the hardibacker around
the current flange and use a similar spacer (from Home Despot). My
problem now is that the floor is 7/8" higher than it was and can't
find closet bolts long enough. They have long enough 1/4" bolts
everywhere but they just spin in the flange. The flange wants
5/16" bolts and I can only find them 2-1/4" long. :-(

....one more place to try this afternoon.

--
Keith

Junior Member

Location: SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Townsend
Its been a while since I took a toilet apart and replaced the Wax Ring, I
forget if the Mounting Ring is flush with the Floor or sits on the floor?

We are putting in a new bathroom and putting in Tile. Should the Ring sit on
the backer board or be flush with the tile surface?

Thanks,
Scott-
What is always best is the toilet should be as close the closet flange as possible. Also consider using a wax ring with Polyethylene sleeve extends discharge opening for a more positive seal assuring proper bowl alignment.

Click here to view….
http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/sh...0&prodgrpid=36
Posted to alt.home.repair

County Already passed the plumbing/venting. Not my fault if they didn't
catch it. (-;
Both Toilets are that way.

All that is left is the Final, so the Toilet will be on the flange when they
come back again.. (-; hehehe

ups.com...

Scott Townsend wrote:
Its a New bathroom and new floor, so right now there is a 3" ABS Pipe
that
is Flush with the plywood subfloor. When we put the Backer board down we
didn't leave room for the flange figuring that it would sit on the
Backerboard and then be pretty close to flush with the finished floor.

Thanks!
"sky" wrote in message
ups.com...

Scott Townsend wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
sky sky is offline

Copy that....Enjoy your new throne's....ketch 'ya later.
Scott Townsend wrote:
County Already passed the plumbing/venting. Not my fault if they didn't
catch it. (-;
Both Toilets are that way.

All that is left is the Final, so the Toilet will be on the flange when they
come back again.. (-; hehehe

ups.com...

Scott Townsend wrote:
Its a New bathroom and new floor, so right now there is a 3" ABS Pipe
that
is Flush with the plywood subfloor. When we put the Backer board down we
didn't leave room for the flange figuring that it would sit on the
Backerboard and then be pretty close to flush with the finished floor.

Thanks!
"sky" wrote in message
ups.com...

Scott Townsend wrote:
[...]

increasing the force of a flush in a toilet Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 13 May 7th 05 03:48 AM
Lazy toilet flush tflfb Home Repair 2 July 8th 04 01:53 AM
toilet makes other toilet flush Spitfire 1500 Home Repair 3 June 7th 04 03:28 AM
Power Flush toilet problems William Lee Home Repair 1 December 25th 03 11:23 PM
Woodstove Hearth, Flush to Floor? John W. Wells Home Repair 10 July 31st 03 02:49 AM