Posted to alt.home.repair

Default smoke in lawnmower

I have a question. I'm new to mowing grass. Today I was mowing my lawn
mower and it cut off. I checked the oil and gas. They were both low. So I
added more gas and more oil (type 30) and when I started up my lawn mower
after walking about 2 yards smoke started coming out of the little round
thingy. I guess that is the blower or engine. It has a bunch of holes and
is silver and was really hot. Did I add the wrong oil or is there
something else wrong? I know I put the oil and gas in the right holes. Did
I add too much oil? Can anyone help me? Or is this a problem that I need to
take to a shop? Thanks for your help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cece e." wrote in message
news:94f73b22443a9ab776fd5955179128e6@homerepairli ve.com...
I have a question. I'm new to mowing grass. Today I was mowing my lawn
mower and it cut off. I checked the oil and gas. They were both low. So I
added more gas and more oil (type 30) and when I started up my lawn mower
after walking about 2 yards smoke started coming out of the little round
thingy. I guess that is the blower or engine. It has a bunch of holes and
is silver and was really hot. Did I add the wrong oil or is there
something else wrong? I know I put the oil and gas in the right holes. Did
I add too much oil? Can anyone help me? Or is this a problem that I need
take to a shop? Thanks for your help.

Lawn mowers run on smoke. When the smoke gets out, they stop running.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"cece e." wrote in message
news:94f73b22443a9ab776fd5955179128e6@homerepairli ve.com...
I have a question. I'm new to mowing grass. Today I was mowing my lawn
mower and it cut off. I checked the oil and gas. They were both low. So I
added more gas and more oil (type 30) and when I started up my lawn mower
after walking about 2 yards smoke started coming out of the little round
thingy. I guess that is the blower or engine. It has a bunch of holes and
is silver and was really hot. Did I add the wrong oil or is there
something else wrong? I know I put the oil and gas in the right holes. Did
I add too much oil? Can anyone help me? Or is this a problem that I need to
take to a shop? Thanks for your help.

You either added too much oil, or tipped the mower the wrong
way at some point. If the latter, it will stop smoking after a few
minutes operation.
Does it have a dipstick? If so check the oil level - Take the dipstick out,
wipe it clean, put it back in all the way, take it out again. Holding
it level, the oil line should be between the two lines on the dipstick.
The mower should be on a level spot when doing this.

Bob

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:36:28 -0500, "cece e."
wrote:

I have a question. I'm new to mowing grass. Today I was mowing my lawn
mower and it cut off. I checked the oil and gas. They were both low. So I
added more gas and more oil (type 30) and when I started up my lawn mower
after walking about 2 yards smoke started coming out of the little round
thingy. I guess that is the blower or engine. It has a bunch of holes and
is silver and was really hot. Did I add the wrong oil or is there
something else wrong? I know I put the oil and gas in the right holes. Did
I add too much oil? Can anyone help me? Or is this a problem that I need to
take to a shop? Thanks for your help.

The smoke is OK as long as it eventually stops. Let it run for five
minutes or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a question. I'm new to mowing grass. Today I was mowing my lawn
mower and it cut off. I checked the oil and gas. They were both low. So I
added more gas and more oil (type 30) and when I started up my lawn mower
after walking about 2 yards smoke started coming out of the little round
thingy. I guess that is the blower or engine. It has a bunch of holes and
is silver and was really hot. Did I add the wrong oil or is there
something else wrong? I know I put the oil and gas in the right holes. Did
I add too much oil? Can anyone help me? Or is this a problem that I need to
take to a shop? Thanks for your help.

The smoke is OK as long as it eventually stops. Let it run for five
minutes or so.

overfilling the oil can do this big time.

check oil level again carefully

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop Pop is offline

Are you sure you used the right oil? For a 4-cycle engine, 30W
would be OK, but if it's a 2-cycle engine with an oil reservioir,
that requires a different type of oil that is NOT the same as
30W!

It sounds like you used automotive oil in a 2-cycle engine.
Don't just "try it", you'll have to figure out what it needs.
Usually there will be a label nearby. Otherwise, ask someone,
maybe a neighbor?

With a brand, model, size, etc., it's possible someone here could
tell you. Get all the info off the plates you can find and post
it here.

Pop`

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

You trollably put the gas in the oil and oil in the gas tank, Use a
match to burn it off

Mains Smoke Alarm thankyousam UK diy 17 June 6th 06 04:53 PM
question about interconnected smoke detectors autonut843 Home Repair 13 December 17th 05 12:44 AM
Briggs & Stratton lawnmower: smoke from oil filler Ulysses Home Repair 0 August 14th 05 11:59 PM
Smoke smell from A/C? Eyes burning. jan Home Repair 7 November 18th 03 03:04 AM