Posted to uk.d-i-y
thankyousam

Default Mains Smoke Alarm

I'm adding a couple of mains fed smoke alarms to my lighting circuit.
The first one is simple enough as there is a run of cable above the
location in the hallway. I'm intending to "loop in" the smoke alarm as
you would with a ceiling rose - allbeit without a switch

I'm not sure how to build the second alarm (upstairs) into the circuit.
Can I simply spur it off the downstairs smoke alarm using three+earth
(for the interconnect)? Or do I need to "loop in" the second alarm as
well? I've tried to illustrate both. I can't see why the first method
would be a problem, just wanted to check.

Spurred: ( = T&E, ||| 3&E Interconnect)

Rose ==== Smoke Alarm 1 ==== Rose
Smoke Alarm 2

Full Loop In: ( = T&E, =~= 3&E Interconnect)

Rose ==== Smoke Alarm 1 =~=~= Smoke Alarm 2 ==== Rose

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh

"thankyousam" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm adding a couple of mains fed smoke alarms to my lighting circuit.
The first one is simple enough as there is a run of cable above the
location in the hallway. I'm intending to "loop in" the smoke alarm as
you would with a ceiling rose - allbeit without a switch

I'm not sure how to build the second alarm (upstairs) into the circuit.
Can I simply spur it off the downstairs smoke alarm using three+earth
(for the interconnect)? Or do I need to "loop in" the second alarm as
well? I've tried to illustrate both. I can't see why the first method
would be a problem, just wanted to check.

Spurred: ( = T&E, ||| 3&E Interconnect)

Rose ==== Smoke Alarm 1 ==== Rose
Smoke Alarm 2

Full Loop In: ( = T&E, =~= 3&E Interconnect)

Rose ==== Smoke Alarm 1 =~=~= Smoke Alarm 2 ==== Rose

You can just spur it off the first alarm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

"rrh" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

That's a bit dodgy innit? If your lighting is set up as one circuit to cover
the whole house, it may be OK but if the downstairs lights are on one fuse
and the upstairs lights a different fuse, someone could pull the fuse for
the upstairs and expect the smoke alarm to be safe to work on when it's not.

Steve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham

I must admit that my instinct would always be to supply any sort of
alarm in a seperate manner to anything else. Disaster scenarios are
always "well thats's unlikely !" - but that's why you do a risk
analysis.

Let's say a fault develops in the lights circuit the OP is talking
about - it might generate adequate smoke for the alarm to sound before
the fuse blows, but what if it was the other way round - OK the fuse
has protected the system but the heat generated might by then have
ignited something else which will now not be detected by the alarm -
because it / has / no power !!

I woudl suggest if you can that you supply them both off a seperate
circuit from the CU.
And if you want to be really secure, you have a couple of battery ones
as well and exercise a bit of discipline in changing the batteries
regularly.
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh

"Steve" wrote in message

"rrh" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

Can't lay my hands on the regs just now but they insist that interconnected
alarms are wired to one circuit only. Mains-powered alarms without battery
backup ("Grade E") should have their own dedicated (and preferably
non-RCD-protected) circuit from the consumer unit; mains-powered alarms with
battery backup ("Grade D") may be wired either that way or to a regularly
used local lighting circuit that is separately electrically protected.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sat, 27 May 2006 17:51:58 UTC, Owain
wrote:

Ones that are supplied from a separate circuit don't have to have
battery back-up; this, and the liklihood that loss of power on a
separate circuit is less likely to be noticed, makes exclusively-powered
alarms *less* reliable, IMHO.

I fitted battery-backed ones on a separate circuit, but included a very
visible (halfway up the stairs) non-maintained emergency light on the
same circuit (thus making it 'not exclusively powered', I'll admit..)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill

In message , Owain
writes

Ones that are supplied from a separate circuit don't have to have
battery back-up;

They can have.
this, and the liklihood that loss of power on a separate circuit is
less likely to be noticed,

This is easy to overcome.
makes exclusively-powered alarms *less* reliable, IMHO.

Just a thought, I have mains powered, battery backed up, smoke detectors
in most rooms of the house and they are fed from one supply and also
inter linked so that if one goes then they all sound, plus an isolating
switch so that it is possible to turn off all bar the one that
activated. The other thing I have done is to fit some emergency light
units to the same circuit, this has the advantage of indicating if the
circuit has tripped for any reason.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"Owain" wrote in message
robgraham wrote:
I must admit that my instinct would always be to supply any sort of
alarm in a seperate manner to anything else. Disaster scenarios are
always "well thats's unlikely !" - but that's why you do a risk
analysis.
Let's say a fault develops in the lights circuit the OP is talking
about - it might generate adequate smoke for the alarm to sound before
the fuse blows, but what if it was the other way round - OK the fuse
has protected the system but the heat generated might by then have
ignited something else which will now not be detected by the alarm -
because it / has / no power !!

Smoke alarms which are supplied from lighting circuits have inbuilt
battery or capacitor back-up power for several hours.

How long the batteries will last without ac power varies. Try 4 years not
several hours.eg.
http://www.alertelectrical.com/product.asp?typeID=127&subID=250&prodID=2598&refId =4

For what it is worth IMHO smoke alarms should be connected to the power for
the TV in most houses as any disruption in that supply would be noticed
first.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

That's a bit dodgy innit? If your lighting is set up as one circuit to
cover
the whole house, it may be OK but if the downstairs lights are on one fuse
and the upstairs lights a different fuse, someone could pull the fuse for
the upstairs and expect the smoke alarm to be safe to work on when it's

not.

They shouldn't expect any such thing, as to connect them up in that manner
would be against the regulations, which requires all smoke alarms to be
interconnected and on the same circuit (either a regularly used lighting
circuit, or a dedicated alarm circuit).

If they are expecting smoke alarms to be distributed across multiple alarm
circuits, then they aren't competent to work on an electrical installation.
They are also not competent to work on electrical installations if they
think that flicking an SP MCB is enough to consider a circuit to be
deenergised, let alone isolated.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

A centralised 'hush' switch is very useful if the installation is prone
to nuisance alarms.

That is bad design. The alarm system should be designed not to have nuisance
alarms, as they seriously damage the usefulness of the system. My system has
gone off just once since it was installed 3 years ago. This was when the
toaster set on fire. If my smoke alarm system went off, I would be
immediately convinced that there was a fire. Compare with a poorly designed
system with inappropriately chosen locations and sensor types that goes off
every time someone has the full English and is completely ignored by
residents.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:
A centralised 'hush' switch is very useful if the installation is prone
to nuisance alarms.

That is bad design. The alarm system should be designed not to have nuisance
alarms, as they seriously damage the usefulness of the system. My system has
gone off just once since it was installed 3 years ago. This was when the
toaster set on fire. If my smoke alarm system went off, I would be
immediately convinced that there was a fire. Compare with a poorly designed
system with inappropriately chosen locations and sensor types that goes off
every time someone has the full English and is completely ignored by
residents.

Christian.

Up till two days ago I would have said the same...4 a.m. Alarms go off.
I paddle round the house in the altogether prodding at each one. No sign
of smoke or fire. After about 5 minutes they stopped..weird..

Wasn't sure how to ID which one was the one that set the others a going..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On Tue, 30 May 2006 17:18:06 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

A centralised 'hush' switch is very useful if the installation is prone
to nuisance alarms.

That is bad design. The alarm system should be designed not to have nuisance
alarms, as they seriously damage the usefulness of the system. My system has
gone off just once since it was installed 3 years ago. This was when the
toaster set on fire. If my smoke alarm system went off, I would be
immediately convinced that there was a fire. Compare with a poorly designed
system with inappropriately chosen locations and sensor types that goes off
every time someone has the full English and is completely ignored by
residents.

I agree that Nuisance alarms seriously damage their usefulness.
However I have never managed to find alarms that do not have false
alarms. About a year ago we had some mains smoke alarms
professionally fitted (I have checked they have been fitted correctly)
and they still go off occasionally when we cook or when I do some DIY.

The false alarms have gradually increased in frequency since they were
fitted. And we do vacuum them out regularly.

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

About a year ago we had some mains smoke alarms professionally
fitted (I have checked they have been fitted correctly) and
they still go off occasionally when we cook or when I do some
DIY.

What type of alarms are on the same floor as the kitchen
(ionisation/optical/thermal) and where are they installed?

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On Wed, 31 May 2006 16:03:45 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

About a year ago we had some mains smoke alarms professionally
fitted (I have checked they have been fitted correctly) and
they still go off occasionally when we cook or when I do some
DIY.

What type of alarms are on the same floor as the kitchen
(ionisation/optical/thermal) and where are they installed?

I'll need to check on the type. There is one installed on the ground
floor in a hallway near the bottom of the stairs. It's about 2m from
the Kitchen door.

Mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I'll need to check on the type. There is one installed on the ground
floor in a hallway near the bottom of the stairs. It's about 2m from
the Kitchen door.

Do all rooms on the ground floor lead from the hall? What rooms are there?
How large is the hall?

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:40:10 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I'll need to check on the type. There is one installed on the ground
floor in a hallway near the bottom of the stairs. It's about 2m from
the Kitchen door.

Do all rooms on the ground floor lead from the hall? What rooms are there?
How large is the hall?

On the ground floor the Lounge and Kitchen lead off the hall. The
Hall is about 3m x 2m approx.

Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Do all rooms on the ground floor lead from the hall? What rooms are
there?
How large is the hall?

On the ground floor the Lounge and Kitchen lead off the hall. The
Hall is about 3m x 2m approx.

Some possible solutions:

1. Replace existing hall ionisation alarm with optical type and move away
from kitchen door, if at all possible. An optical alarm is less likely to be
set off by a few cooking fumes.

2. Remove hall alarm. Install heat sensed alarm in kitchen. Install
ionisation alarm in lounge.

The second solution probably doesn't quite match building regulations as
there would be no detector in the downstairs circulation space. However, in
my opinion it would be safer, as it would reduce false alarms, which are
dangerous, whilst still maintaining detection in all rooms likely to have
fires. A fire in the hall itself is unlikely and will set off your upstairs
detector in any case.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 10:28:07 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Do all rooms on the ground floor lead from the hall? What rooms are

there?
How large is the hall?

On the ground floor the Lounge and Kitchen lead off the hall. The
Hall is about 3m x 2m approx.

Some possible solutions:

1. Replace existing hall ionisation alarm with optical type and move away
from kitchen door, if at all possible. An optical alarm is less likely to be
set off by a few cooking fumes.

Thanks. I might try this.

2. Remove hall alarm. Install heat sensed alarm in kitchen. Install
ionisation alarm in lounge.

Regards,
Mark

faulty smoke alarm nigmyk UK diy 9 April 12th 06 08:00 AM
How do I block a (mains) smoke alarm (so my steam cleaner doesn't trigger it) [email protected] UK diy 52 December 21st 05 11:45 AM
smoke alarm question oreo123 Home Repair 9 March 13th 05 08:36 PM
Prewiring alarm for a new house John Smith Home Repair 119 May 1st 04 04:31 PM
Alarm advice with cats in mind. Mortimer UK diy 73 January 19th 04 08:39 AM