Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Mains Smoke Alarm

Christian McArdle wrote:
A centralised 'hush' switch is very useful if the installation is prone
to nuisance alarms.

That is bad design. The alarm system should be designed not to have nuisance
alarms, as they seriously damage the usefulness of the system. My system has
gone off just once since it was installed 3 years ago. This was when the
toaster set on fire. If my smoke alarm system went off, I would be
immediately convinced that there was a fire. Compare with a poorly designed
system with inappropriately chosen locations and sensor types that goes off
every time someone has the full English and is completely ignored by
residents.

Christian.

Up till two days ago I would have said the same...4 a.m. Alarms go off.
I paddle round the house in the altogether prodding at each one. No sign
of smoke or fire. After about 5 minutes they stopped..weird..

Wasn't sure how to ID which one was the one that set the others a going..