oreo123

Default smoke alarm question

What is the difference between photoelectric and ionization smoke alarms?

I know that ionization is used within 15 or 20 feet of steamy bathroom or
kitchen cooktop.

TIA.

HorneTD

oreo123 wrote:
What is the difference between photoelectric and ionization smoke alarms?

I know that ionization is used within 15 or 20 feet of steamy bathroom or
kitchen cooktop.

TIA.

Ionization detectors use a small particle of nuclear waste to ionize the
smoke particles so that they will conduct a small current. When enough
particles are present in the detectors sensing chamber the detector goes
into alarm.

A photoelectric smoke detector can take two forms one works on
obscuration and the other works on back scatter or reflection. In the
obscuration type the smoke blocks or obscures the light source from the
photoelectric detection cell and the associated circuit drives the alarm
after detecting the loss of light on the photocell. In the back scatter
type the smoke reflects the light from the light source back onto a
photo cell that drives the detector into alarm.

In general the ionization type, which detects the smaller invisible
products of combustion, is quicker to respond to free flaming fuel
limited fires. The photoelectric type, which detects the larger visible
products of combustion, is faster to respond to smoldering or oxygen
limited fires.

Ionization detectors are much more prone to nuisance alarms caused by
cooking, painting, and similar activities.
--
Tom H
The Real Tom

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:41:30 GMT, HorneTD
wrote:

oreo123 wrote:
What is the difference between photoelectric and ionization smoke alarms?

I know that ionization is used within 15 or 20 feet of steamy bathroom or
kitchen cooktop.

TIA.

Ionization detectors use a small particle of nuclear waste to ionize the

"nuclear waste"? You are not selling the idea of ionization POC
detectors for the home. :-P

[...]

oreo123

I am about to get smokes for an apt. Electrician told me to just pick them
up. Found out that local code is within 20 feet of cooking apparatus or
steam from a bathroom that its photo type. I was wondering which one was
more sensitive for the rest of the apt so I went ionzation.

Oreo

wrote:

oreo123 wrote:
[...]

Gel

In hard wired models, battery only providing back up in case of AC
power loss.
Alkalines are fine in smoke alarms, and my data shows with good makes
ie Duracell Ultra they'll last nearly 4 years; so well worth cost.

Manufacturers manual will list recommended types; lithium batteries
may also be usable provided their use sanctioned in user guide.

Wouldn't suggest otherwise as these alarms have extra component to
allow for mis fitting of lithium battery ie reversed polarity;
they have potential to explode so why this is so important.

Never use rechargeable loose batteries, as have wrong dischange
characteristics, and would not activate low battery beep as
required [for min 30 days in UK].
Low battery triggered when voltage hits 7.4V.

Difference in Ion & Optical {Photo} been explained by other posters;
Ion now banned most of Europe, except UK & Eire.

Useful info on type selection/location at
www.smoke-alarms.co.uk

"oreo123" wrote in message ...
What is the difference between photoelectric and ionization smoke alarms?

I know that ionization is used within 15 or 20 feet of steamy bathroom or
kitchen cooktop.

TIA.

The Real Tom

wrote:

oreo123 wrote:

[...]

Products Of Combustion

One of the ways to detect a fire. Others include IR/UV and
Heat(Setpoint and Rate of Rise) detectors.

hth,

tom @ www.BookmarkAdmin.com

The Real Tom

On 13 Mar 2005 00:52:40 -0800, (Gel) wrote:

[...]

Now that is a shame about ION. I know why, cause I remember how it
was a serious concern here in the US about 2 decades ago. I believe
the manufactures addressed the problem with documented proof about
Americaium after 10 operating life, and offering a recycling program,
but consumer's still might not be using them.

Just hear too many problems with Photos getting dirty and not working,
but then if you clean them too when you vaccum, that shouldn't be a
problem. But anyone here regularly vacuum their smoke detectors?

later,

tom @
www.Love-Calculators.com

"oreo123" wrote in message ...
What is the difference between photoelectric and ionization smoke alarms?

I know that ionization is used within 15 or 20 feet of steamy bathroom or
kitchen cooktop.

TIA.

Main Man

Yes you're right Tom about need for more TLC, and answer is NO!

The Real Tom

On 13 Mar 2005 11:57:59 -0800, "Main Man"
wrote:

Yes you're right Tom about need for more TLC, and answer is NO!

Well I confess, i forget too.

tom