Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A few questions about DEHUMIDIFIERS... ???

We live in an apartment and for reasons to long to go into cannot have
air conditioning. All we have are fans which do an OK job of moving
the air around. Better than nothing I guess.

Now... If we were to add a DEHUMIDIFIER to the mix, would that help us
feel any cooler? Sometimes, especially at night the humidity outside
is like 80, 90% or even higher. We have the windows open and although
the air is a little cooler at night it is just so damn sticky.

What if we got a dehumidifier or two, closed the windows and let the
fans run. Would it FEEL cooler? Also... do dehumidifiers have any
COOLING capability at all?

Thanks in advance

DAVID

Posted to alt.home.repair

It will be warmer with a dehumidifier, they use alot of energy and don`t
exuast it outside. My basement is 2-3f warmer when I turn my
dehumidifier on in summer. If you have a window you can have AC, there
are floor standing units that vent the hot exuast out a window, get AC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

z wrote:

it sounds like you live in a wettish state, where it might help. As
everybody says, you will be exchanging cooler and wetter for warmer and
dryer, and they are expensive to run, but particularly at night might
feel less sticky...

A dehumidifier might help in an airtight house with no insulation
in a place like Florida, when outdoor and indoor air temps are
about the same but outdoor air is more humid, but an air conditioner
would help more, with dehumidification plus indoor cooling vs heating.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
gg gg is offline

I have lived in apartments with the same problem and people would try this,
guess it works some what.
But if your upstairs the people below will hear it humming and they always
complained guess its loud below?
get one of those AC. that vent with a dryer hose and make a easy to place
and remove vent for the window if you use it at night who will ever see
it.it could even just be heavy cardboard. and place the AC. on a piece of
carpet with allot of padding under carpet so it cant be heard below if
that's an issue.

wrote in message
oups.com...
We live in an apartment and for reasons to long to go into cannot have
air conditioning. All we have are fans which do an OK job of moving
the air around. Better than nothing I guess.

Now... If we were to add a DEHUMIDIFIER to the mix, would that help us
feel any cooler? Sometimes, especially at night the humidity outside
is like 80, 90% or even higher. We have the windows open and although
the air is a little cooler at night it is just so damn sticky.

What if we got a dehumidifier or two, closed the windows and let the
fans run. Would it FEEL cooler? Also... do dehumidifiers have any
COOLING capability at all?

Thanks in advance

DAVID

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the replies. See, the problem is, all we have is a sliding
glass door. BTW, can any window unit operate vertically instead of
horizontally?

Thanks

DAVID

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the replies. Another question. Would an extension cord
rated for 13amps safely be able to handle a small window AC unit that
uses about 1000w?

Thanks

DAVID

Posted to alt.home.repair

It depends how long the cord is, look up ratings, the longer the cord
the less it can handle.