Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mysterious Water on Carpet

I came home from a week-long vacation to find the carpet in the doorway
to my bedroom wet. It didn't appear wet at first, but when you step on
it, water would seem to seep up from the carpet pad. I discovered by
stomping around a bit that the water seems to continue a few feet down
the wall. I have no idea where it came from. There is a bathroom on the
other side of the wall, but I see no signs of any leakage in there.
Could a leaking pipe in the wall cause the carpet in the bedroom to be
wet, but show no signs in the bathroom?

And where do I go from here? I have no idea if the problem is still
happening or if it was a one time thing. I guess need to get a wet vac
and dry the carpet as best as I can and then see if it gets wet again.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? If this is a sign of a larger
problem, I know I need to get it taken care of as soon as possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The doorway with the wet carpet is nowhere near the AC drain pan. And
the drywall and basebard etc. next to the affected carpet is in perfect
condition. They show no signs of water damage. And again, the bathroom
on the other side of the wall has no signs of water damage or leaking.
I hate to bust open the wall unnecessarily. If I was to vacuum up the
water and wait to see if the problem persists, and it does, what type
of expert should I call? A plumber?

Is there any chance this could be a foundation problem? The only reason
I ask is because recently a nearby door has started sticking. I hope it
is just coincidence, but again, if there is a major problem, I'd rather
take care of it sooner rather than later.

chuckster wrote:
AC condensate drain pan clogged? Pierced water line or waste line by a
drywall screw that finally rusted away? Leaking bowl gasket? Need more
info. I would suggest opening the wall since you want everything to dry
out, thus preventing mold. I would also suggest spraying a 10% bleach
and water solution on the affected area, to cut down on mold growth.
Mold is LETHAL if it gets growing.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

You got water soaking up the carpet and think you don't "have a major
problem" and expect it to go away on its own yet "take care of it
sooner rather than later"? Somehow, those don't go together.

1. You already have a problem--how "major" it is is yet to be
determined. It is almost certainly not going to fix itself.
2. Do you know where the A/C condensate drain runs? It certainly isn't
unheard of for one to have been run through an interior "wet wall" to
an existing drain
3. It is quite possible for something like the stool flange to be
seeping and running under the baseplate to be sucked up by the carpet
pad and show no other sign. It's also quite possible it could be a
pinhole similar to the other suggestion running down a stud or a supply
line and wicking along the baseplate as noted. It undoubtedly isn't a
big leak in supply lines or it would have shown something on the
wallboard as you note, but there could be something deflecting it from
hitting the wallboard directly.
4. If you aren't going to investigate on your own, better call the
plumber Monday AM
5. The door is _probably_ a red herring wrt to the leak, but
anything's possible.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

OPEN THE WALL! Any one who comes out will do this and charge you a
fee, even if they can't fix it. Is the foundation wet? Clogged gutters?
Missing some flashing? Dry the area and spray some water in the area
with a garden hose. Roof leaks will find their way to the floor this
way too. HUGE TIP! Open the wall, spray with bleach solution, and let
it dry to prevent mold growth. I feel your pain on opening the wall but
mold will take over and you will have MORE problems, and then you will
have to open the entire room to remove it. Mold loves dark, damp areas,
and grows fast. Wall repair is cheap and easily done if you make neat
cuts, with a jab saw.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chuckster" wrote in message
ups.com...
OPEN THE WALL! Any one who comes out will do this and charge you a
fee, even if they can't fix it. Is the foundation wet? Clogged gutters?
Missing some flashing? Dry the area and spray some water in the area
with a garden hose. Roof leaks will find their way to the floor this
way too. HUGE TIP! Open the wall, spray with bleach solution, and let
it dry to prevent mold growth. I feel your pain on opening the wall but
mold will take over and you will have MORE problems, and then you will
have to open the entire room to remove it. Mold loves dark, damp areas,
and grows fast. Wall repair is cheap and easily done if you make neat
cuts, with a jab saw.

Yes, unless you spot the cause of that leak immediately and it is outside
the wall, open the wall. Wet Vac that water up! Put a fan or blower on it
to get air moving briskly. spray a little bleach water on the inside wall
if you want to, but be careful that stuff will discolor most carpets.

It could be a leaking shower pan. It could be any number of things
suggested by others here. You must deal with this immediately. Notify your
insurance agent; you don't have to make a claim. He'll tell you what to do.
You have a responsibility to mitigate the damages that are happening. If
you let them go your insurance may not cover damage that might have
otherwise been covered. It is probably minor right now, but it will get
worse.

If you can dry it up, watch it! If the water comes back immediately, it's
probably a leak in the water line. Feel it! Is it hot or cold. Smell it!
If the new water smells bad, then that might tell you something. If it gets
worse after a bath or shower, that tells you something. If it gets worse
after you flush the toilet.... If it only happens on very hot humid days
when the compressor is working overtime....all these things can tell you
something. The plumber charges by the hour and the more you can tell him,
the less time it will take........if it is plumbing. It could be a leak in
a roof, or even in a pipe in the slab where a plate was fastened to the
floor by a Hilti or Ramset and the fastener nicked a pipe in the slab, but
it only now broke through all the way.

You caught this thing in the early stage. Don't delay. Get it repaired
quickly.

Randy R. Cox

Posted to alt.home.repair

you've gotten many good suggestions.

Wet vac he carpet thoroghly. At the very least, peel back the
carpet and pad so you get look at the slab. (assuming slab foundation).
dry floor well and look for leaks. Likely there is a seam in the
carpet at the door. cut the threads of this seam to allow pulling
carpet and pad back.

lee h

Posted to alt.home.repair

The ORIGINAL poster will be posting next month about a SERIOUS mold
problem and wants help on how to deal with it without opening the wall.
Just wait and see. He recieved many tips but no response back yet.

lee houston wrote:
you've gotten many good suggestions.

Wet vac he carpet thoroghly. At the very least, peel back the
carpet and pad so you get look at the slab. (assuming slab foundation).
dry floor well and look for leaks. Likely there is a seam in the
carpet at the door. cut the threads of this seam to allow pulling
carpet and pad back.

lee h

Posted to alt.home.repair

I gotta agree with the poster who suggested a leak in a slab line,
especially since no one was home for a week. You should probably pull
the carpet and pad up anyway. The pad will have to be replaced or
thoroughly dried before the carpet can be reinstalled after the leak is
found and fixed. Once the carpet is up, you can vac the floor as dry as
you can and if /when more water appears, you should be able to see where
it is coming from. If it is indeed a leak in the slab, the best bet
would be to have them rerouted and bypass the slab lines. If both hot
and cold are in the affected area, do both, not just the one that is
leaking. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Jul 2006 12:32:45 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Release the carpet from the base edge and see if you can trace the
water. Often a baseboard nail will get driven into a pipe where it
comes up through the bottom plate. This can be fairly easily repaired
by a plumber. You can remove a small piece of sheetrock after pulling
a section of the base to a joint and feel for wetness. Cut the paint
line at the base top with a sharp knife to prevent peeling the paint
up the rock.
Measure from the door to bath faucets/supplies to locate wall piping
areas to narrow your search.
--
Mr.E

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chuckster" wrote in message
oups.com...
The ORIGINAL poster will be posting next month about a SERIOUS mold
problem and wants help on how to deal with it without opening the wall.
Just wait and see. He recieved many tips but no response back yet.

let's see, he posted at about 1530, and you post the above
a few hrs later ?

dayyuum ! All that "LETHAL" mold must have done him in !

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Twice over a two year period, I had a hot water supply line break under the
slab of my Arizona house. The first time I noticed the sound of water
running and a lack of hot water. All of the water stayed under the slab
however there was enough damage under the slab that I began to get some
serious wall cracks very soon from settling. Insurance company said "no
water above the slab, no claim". The second time the water came up into
the kitchen between the slab and the outer foundation wall. This time
insurance company paid for damage to kitchen cabinets but that's all. Both
times I had to eat the cost of re-routing the water lines around the leak.
The first time the insurance agent came out and checked the carpet
throughout the house, in the closets, everywhere looking for some water. If
I had know ahead of time what he was going to be looking for, a bucket of
water thrown in a closet would have saved me some money. The plumber was
able to locate the leaks with the use of a very sensitive listening device.
One word of caution....I had a 40 year history with my insurance company so
there were no repercussions from filing a water damage claim but I've heard
of some horror stories that have happened to people who have made claims.
Even by asking their agent about water damage a red flag will be put in
their file. This can stay with the house making later sale difficult as the
house can become un insurable except through "high risk" insurance
companies.
Sorry for the long post,
Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote:
Please post a reference to an authoritative study saying mold is
lethal. I don't believe you'll find one. Just an urban myth.

Would you consider the National Institutes of Health authoritative?

"Aflatoxin is the best characterized of the potential human mycotoxin
carcinogens. While it is acutely lethal in large amounts, chronic low-level
exposure produces cancer, particularly hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) in
many animal species. It is thought to be the most potent liver carcinogen
for a variety of species including humans..."

Other molds also considered.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=145304

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Please post a reference to an authoritative study saying mold is
lethal. I don't believe you'll find one. Just an urban myth.

Would you consider the National Institutes of Health authoritative?

"Aflatoxin is the best characterized of the potential human mycotoxin
carcinogens. While it is acutely lethal in large amounts, chronic low-level
exposure produces cancer, particularly hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) in
many animal species. It is thought to be the most potent liver carcinogen
for a variety of species including humans..."

Other molds also considered.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=145304

Thank you. I will forward to Dr. Dean Edell, the TalkRadio doctor that
constantly challenges the mold crowd. In all fairness, we need to see
may studies that reach the same conclusion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Please post a reference to an authoritative study saying mold is
lethal. I don't believe you'll find one. Just an urban myth.

Would you consider the National Institutes of Health authoritative?

"Aflatoxin is the best characterized of the potential human mycotoxin
carcinogens. While it is acutely lethal in large amounts, chronic low-level
exposure produces cancer, particularly hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) in
many animal species. It is thought to be the most potent liver carcinogen
for a variety of species including humans..."

Other molds also considered.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=145304

Actually, you need to read the report thoroughly.... I found the
following in the section on "problems with the reports....

"Thus, despite the claim that there was a causal association between
moldy houses and wheezing, there was no supporting objective evidence.
Some studies which claim that moisture and mold were associated with
respiratory infections, cough, and wheezing (again with no objective
measures) also fail to show differences in asthma prevalence between
case and control schools (409, 410). Other authors report that despite
claims of symptoms being more prevalent in case groups (reporting
exposure to fungi, pets, mold odor, and dampness), actual asthma
prevalence was no different (177)."
Posted to alt.home.repair

My 1970 slab ranch house started producing blue spots in the white
kitchen linoleum. The cause was leakage from the radiant heating pipes
in the concrete slab where the lime was attacking the copper producing
pinhole leaks.

I installed baseboard (SlantFin) radiators around the perimeter of the
house and abandoned the old radiant heating system. (GF unhappy
because the floor is not warm during winter!) I also replaced the fresh
water system because the hot water runs were destined to be attacked
similarly.

I used a hammer drill to chisel a slot in the slab to get passed the
doorways. Going up and over would produce a risk of freezing in the
attic. It has worked well for several years, heating bills have
decreased because were not warming the globe with heat below the slab
anymore. In 1970 they didn't insulate below the slab because oil was
cheap.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you to all who have posted helpful tips and advice and not just
dire warnings. I now have a better understanding of the potential
causes of this problem. I do not have the time, tools, or skills to
begin cutting holes in my wall, removing baseboards, or pulling back
carpet. I have a plummer coming tomorrow to assess the situation. Some
of you may consider that unnecessary at this point, but there are
certain things I will just leave to the pro's. At least now I will have
some knowledge of this type of situation going into it, and will know
the right questions to ask. Thanks again for the help. I will try to
post back after I know more.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Am I going to put my health in the hands of a "Radio Expert"? - I think
not! Mold is hazardous to most of the population, and some "experts"
think that is what killed the explorerers who entered King Tuts Tomb.
Try to sell a house with mold. There are many links to mold, so don't
just listen to one person. Does anyone remember when Asbestos was
considered safe??

Stubby wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Please post a reference to an authoritative study saying mold is
lethal. I don't believe you'll find one. Just an urban myth.

Would you consider the National Institutes of Health authoritative?

"Aflatoxin is the best characterized of the potential human mycotoxin
carcinogens. While it is acutely lethal in large amounts, chronic low-level
exposure produces cancer, particularly hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) in
many animal species. It is thought to be the most potent liver carcinogen
for a variety of species including humans..."

Other molds also considered.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=145304

Thank you. I will forward to Dr. Dean Edell, the TalkRadio doctor that
constantly challenges the mold crowd. In all fairness, we need to see
may studies that reach the same conclusion.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 9 Jul 2006 12:54:31 -0700, "chuckster" wrote:

AC condensate drain pan clogged? Pierced water line or waste line by a
drywall screw that finally rusted away? Leaking bowl gasket? Need more
info. I would suggest opening the wall since you want everything to dry
out, thus preventing mold. I would also suggest spraying a 10% bleach
and water solution on the affected area,

Bleach is very likely to bleach his carpeting, which will look bad
forever.

to cut down on mold growth.
Mold is LETHAL if it gets growing.

I've had plenty of wet carpets in my house, from little spills to
bathtub overflows, without ever any mold growing. I've also had
plenty of wet basements, with mold growing only once. It stopped
growing when the basement dried out, and didn't cause any medical
problems at all, not even sneezing.

I suppose we don't know what molds cause the most problems or who
reacts badly to mold, but I also suspect there are mold killers other
than bleach, that don't damage carpet, and that in most cases, nothing
needs to be applied immediately. He can wait to see if he actually
gets mold.
wrote:
I came home from a week-long vacation to find the carpet in the doorway
to my bedroom wet. It didn't appear wet at first, but when you step on

I have to admit it. My friends and I had a big party at your house.
We didn't intend to cause damage.

it, water would seem to seep up from the carpet pad. I discovered by
stomping around a bit that the water seems to continue a few feet down
the wall. I have no idea where it came from. There is a bathroom on the
other side of the wall, but I see no signs of any leakage in there.
Could a leaking pipe in the wall cause the carpet in the bedroom to be
wet, but show no signs in the bathroom?

Sure. Can a garden hose spray to the west without spraying to the
east?

And where do I go from here? I have no idea if the problem is still
happening or if it was a one time thing. I guess need to get a wet vac
and dry the carpet as best as I can and then see if it gets wet again.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? If this is a sign of a larger
problem, I know I need to get it taken care of as soon as possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chuckster" wrote in message

Does anyone remember when Asbestos was
considered safe??

It still is safe if handled properly. Just touching it won't do any harm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you to all who have posted helpful tips and advice and not just
dire warnings. I now have a better understanding of the potential
causes of this problem. I do not have the time, tools, or skills to
begin cutting holes in my wall, removing baseboards, or pulling back
carpet. I have a plummer coming tomorrow to assess the situation.

Thanks for the reply. I do hope you follow up with the findings.

So many people post here asking for help and then just disappear and we
never know the outcome. You good manners are welcomed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Stubby wrote:
[...]

They have to put those disclaimers in government reports. All they're saying
is that there is no evidence. Absence of evidence is not evidence of
absence. Anyway, your original question questioned the lethality of mold,
not wheezing in dank dungeons. It is possible, evidently, to keel over dead
without wheezing, respiratory infection, cough, asthma, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well... I guess the toxic mold "got the best of" the "original poster",
since he never got back to us. I wish people would get back to
the group and let us know what the outcome was, he had many great
suggestions given to him.

Goedjn wrote:
On 9 Jul 2006 18:39:54 -0700, "chuckster" wrote:

Am I going to put my health in the hands of a "Radio Expert"? - I think
not! Mold is hazardous to most of the population, and some "experts"
think that is what killed the explorerers who entered King Tuts Tomb.
Try to sell a house with mold. There are many links to mold, so don't
just listen to one person. Does anyone remember when Asbestos was
considered safe??

I still consider asbestos safe. My house is covered in it.