Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default Mysterious Water on Carpet

wrote in message
ups.com...
I came home from a week-long vacation to find the carpet in the doorway
to my bedroom wet. It didn't appear wet at first, but when you step on
it, water would seem to seep up from the carpet pad. I discovered by
stomping around a bit that the water seems to continue a few feet down
the wall. I have no idea where it came from. There is a bathroom on the
other side of the wall, but I see no signs of any leakage in there.
Could a leaking pipe in the wall cause the carpet in the bedroom to be
wet, but show no signs in the bathroom?

And where do I go from here? I have no idea if the problem is still
happening or if it was a one time thing. I guess need to get a wet vac
and dry the carpet as best as I can and then see if it gets wet again.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? If this is a sign of a larger
problem, I know I need to get it taken care of as soon as possible.

Twice over a two year period, I had a hot water supply line break under the
slab of my Arizona house. The first time I noticed the sound of water
running and a lack of hot water. All of the water stayed under the slab
however there was enough damage under the slab that I began to get some
serious wall cracks very soon from settling. Insurance company said "no
water above the slab, no claim". The second time the water came up into
the kitchen between the slab and the outer foundation wall. This time
insurance company paid for damage to kitchen cabinets but that's all. Both
times I had to eat the cost of re-routing the water lines around the leak.
The first time the insurance agent came out and checked the carpet
throughout the house, in the closets, everywhere looking for some water. If
I had know ahead of time what he was going to be looking for, a bucket of
water thrown in a closet would have saved me some money. The plumber was
able to locate the leaks with the use of a very sensitive listening device.
One word of caution....I had a 40 year history with my insurance company so
there were no repercussions from filing a water damage claim but I've heard
of some horror stories that have happened to people who have made claims.
Even by asking their agent about water damage a red flag will be put in
their file. This can stay with the house making later sale difficult as the
house can become un insurable except through "high risk" insurance
companies.
Sorry for the long post,
Tom G.