Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI first in circuit?

I know that in order to protect all the outlets downstream the GFCI outlet
needs to be the first outlet in the chain. But I keep reading that the GFCI
must be the first outlet after the service panel. I DAGS but I can't find
anything that says it's mandatory.
So why can't I put the GFCI as the second outlet for protection there and
the 3rd outlet. I know I wouldn't have the protection in the first on but
that is going to be a major hassle to replace because I would have to rip
out the box because it is too shallow. Besides that outlet is inside the
house and the two I want to protect are outside. I know that it's probably
not up to code that way. But that is how it's been wired for at least 15
years.
Bob
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Other Funk wrote:

I know that in order to protect all the outlets downstream the GFCI
outlet needs to be the first outlet in the chain. But I keep reading
that the GFCI must be the first outlet after the service panel. I DAGS
but I can't find anything that says it's mandatory.
So why can't I put the GFCI as the second outlet for protection there
and the 3rd outlet. I know I wouldn't have the protection in the first
on but that is going to be a major hassle to replace because I would
have to rip out the box because it is too shallow. Besides that outlet
is inside the house and the two I want to protect are outside. I know
that it's probably not up to code that way. But that is how it's been
wired for at least 15 years.
Bob

I've got a couple I wired that way when I replaced unprotected outside
recepticals with GFCIs in good weatherproof boxes. I'd chopped into
enough extension cords with my old aluminum bodied B&D hedge trimmer
over the years that I figgered my luck couldn't hold out forever and I'd
better put those GFCIs in. G

I can't think of any electrical reason why those aren't "safe", as the
outlets upstream of them are in locations which wouldn't require GFCI
recepticals, but YMMV with your local inspector.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

The Other Funk wrote:
I know that in order to protect all the outlets downstream the GFCI outlet
needs to be the first outlet in the chain. But I keep reading that the GFCI
must be the first outlet after the service panel. I DAGS but I can't find
anything that says it's mandatory.
So why can't I put the GFCI as the second outlet for protection there and
the 3rd outlet. I know I wouldn't have the protection in the first on but
that is going to be a major hassle to replace because I would have to rip
out the box because it is too shallow. Besides that outlet is inside the
house and the two I want to protect are outside. I know that it's probably
not up to code that way. But that is how it's been wired for at least 15
years.
Bob
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

I **imagine** that would be perfectly OK; when they say first in the
chain, I **assume** them mean if you want all the other outlets to be
protected. After all, electrically anything upstream looks much the
same, whether it's between the GFCI and the breaker box, or connected
via another breaker, it's all in parallel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Other Funk" wrote in message
I know that in order to protect all the outlets downstream the GFCI outlet
needs to be the first outlet in the chain. But I keep reading that the GFCI
must be the first outlet after the service panel. I DAGS but I can't find
anything that says it's mandatory.
So why can't I put the GFCI as the second outlet for protection there and
the 3rd outlet. I know I wouldn't have the protection in the first on but
that is going to be a major hassle to replace because I would have to rip
out the box because it is too shallow. Besides that outlet is inside the
house and the two I want to protect are outside. I know that it's
probably not up to code that way. But that is how it's been wired for at
least 15 years.
Bob
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

Its perfectly fine to protect just part of a branch curcuit with GFCI so
long as the unportected receptacles aren't required to be GFCI for an
independent reason (outdoor, kitchen, bath, etc). You don't need to label
the unportected receptacle as being so but you should label the downstream
ones as connected to GFCI using the provided stickers if for no other reason
than to remind you to look for the reset button before going to the breaker
box.

You could also replace the breakers in your box with GFCI but they cost a
bit more than a receptacle.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You can also feel free to install GFCI outlets at each location you want or
need protected

wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:57:03 GMT, "The Other Funk"
wrote:

I know that in order to protect all the outlets downstream the GFCI outlet
needs to be the first outlet in the chain. But I keep reading that the
GFCI
must be the first outlet after the service panel. I DAGS but I can't find
anything that says it's mandatory.
So why can't I put the GFCI as the second outlet for protection there and
the 3rd outlet. I know I wouldn't have the protection in the first on but
that is going to be a major hassle to replace because I would have to rip
out the box because it is too shallow. Besides that outlet is inside the
house and the two I want to protect are outside. I know that it's
probably
not up to code that way. But that is how it's been wired for at least 15
years.
Bob
--

Just the first one you want/need to protect. It can really go anywhere
as long as you don't need upstream protection.