Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default GFCI first in circuit?

You can also feel free to install GFCI outlets at each location you want or
need protected

wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:57:03 GMT, "The Other Funk"
wrote:

I know that in order to protect all the outlets downstream the GFCI outlet
needs to be the first outlet in the chain. But I keep reading that the
GFCI
must be the first outlet after the service panel. I DAGS but I can't find
anything that says it's mandatory.
So why can't I put the GFCI as the second outlet for protection there and
the 3rd outlet. I know I wouldn't have the protection in the first on but
that is going to be a major hassle to replace because I would have to rip
out the box because it is too shallow. Besides that outlet is inside the
house and the two I want to protect are outside. I know that it's
probably
not up to code that way. But that is how it's been wired for at least 15
years.
Bob
--

Just the first one you want/need to protect. It can really go anywhere
as long as you don't need upstream protection.