barry martin

Default Bad Electrical Circuit

Hi Steve!

U This is my first post to this message board but I have been lurking for
U a while. There appear to be a number of knowlegeable individuals here
U and hopefully someone can give me some advice.

Welcome!

U Here is my problem. For the last couple of nights, I noticed the light
U in the master bathroom getting brighter and darker but not actually
U going off. Then this morning the television on the same circuit did
U something similar with the picture getting normal sized and smaller.
U Apparently there has been an energy fluctuation in the circuit.

My guess would be due to a bad/failing connection. If the light and
TV are on the same circuit the problem could be an open connection
somewhere along that line, could even be at the service panel. If
your house is older could be a loosened screw in the service panel.
Personally I don't like fiddling around in there and would call an
electrician after ruling out a faulty connection in a junction box,
etc.

U Eventually the tv started turning itself off every few seconds after you
U turned it on. I unplugged the tv and plugged it back in and it would not
U turn on again. Nothing on the outlets downline from a GFCI in another
U bathroom appeared to be working. I tried to reset the GFCI outlet and
U could occasionally get electricity for a second or two down the line
U from the GFCI plugin by holding down the reset button on the GFCI
U outlet. Now nothing on the circuit works at all. No breakers in the

Failing GFCI? Is the bathroom light and TV on the same GFCI circuit?
(read on -- GFCI not failing but is detecting a difference between the
leads -- it is doing it's job and seems to verify an open in the
circuit.)

U main panel have been tripped. I reset the breakers in the main panel to
U be sure that they were not partially tripped. I tried replacing the GFCI
U plugin with another new GFCI outlet. I did that twice with new GFCI
U outlets. I then tried replacing the plug with a non-GFCI plugin. While
U replacing the GFCI outlets, I did verify that the black wires were
U indeed hot by getting a couple of "tingles" when I accidentally touched

Umm, shut off the power at the breaker before replacing switches and
outlets!

U the live wire on the outlet. Then I got frustrated and just wired the
U wires together at the outlet box and removed the outlet. I still do not
U have power on that circuit anywhere. My next step is to replace the
U breaker in the main panel. I originally thought the light in the
U bathroom had a problem because it is a recent replacement and I guessed
U that maybe I didn't have a secure connection when I wired it up. If
U replacing the breaker doesn't work, I guess I will leave the problem to
U an electrician unless someone here has a good idea of what might be
U happening in the circuit.

Recheck your wiring in the bathroom fixture. One set of wires
connected to the fixture or a lead in and a lead out plus the
fixture's wiring?

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

*
1971: Passing the drivers test
2001: Passing the vision test

---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *