Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default GFCI first in circuit?

The Other Funk wrote:

I know that in order to protect all the outlets downstream the GFCI
outlet needs to be the first outlet in the chain. But I keep reading
that the GFCI must be the first outlet after the service panel. I DAGS
but I can't find anything that says it's mandatory.
So why can't I put the GFCI as the second outlet for protection there
and the 3rd outlet. I know I wouldn't have the protection in the first
on but that is going to be a major hassle to replace because I would
have to rip out the box because it is too shallow. Besides that outlet
is inside the house and the two I want to protect are outside. I know
that it's probably not up to code that way. But that is how it's been
wired for at least 15 years.
Bob

I've got a couple I wired that way when I replaced unprotected outside
recepticals with GFCIs in good weatherproof boxes. I'd chopped into
enough extension cords with my old aluminum bodied B&D hedge trimmer
over the years that I figgered my luck couldn't hold out forever and I'd
better put those GFCIs in. G

I can't think of any electrical reason why those aren't "safe", as the
outlets upstream of them are in locations which wouldn't require GFCI
recepticals, but YMMV with your local inspector.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia