Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wrench set storage

I have a set or Craftsman wrenches with both metric and English standard
pieces. It came with a plastic pouch with a divider in the middle. I store
the metric on one side the English standard on the other. Doesn't really
work out all that well. I've mended the bag over the years, but realize
this is not an efficient way to store these wrenches. They fall out; get
mixed together occasionally, and it's difficult to sort them quickly.

Yes, I have a ratchet set, but for some reason I like using the old fashion
wrenches from time to time.

I put the wrench bag in the tool box and go through the same trying process
over and over again. Could use some suggestions as to how to better store
these items.

Have a similar problem with screwdrivers, Phillips vs. straight. Need to
get rid a lot of them. There is too much redundancy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie S. wrote:
I have a set or Craftsman wrenches with both metric and English standard
pieces. It came with a plastic pouch with a divider in the middle. I store
the metric on one side the English standard on the other. Doesn't really
work out all that well. I've mended the bag over the years, but realize
this is not an efficient way to store these wrenches. They fall out; get
mixed together occasionally, and it's difficult to sort them quickly.

Yes, I have a ratchet set, but for some reason I like using the old fashion
wrenches from time to time.

I put the wrench bag in the tool box and go through the same trying process
over and over again. Could use some suggestions as to how to better store
these items.

Have a similar problem with screwdrivers, Phillips vs. straight. Need to
get rid a lot of them. There is too much redundancy.

Maybe one of these dividers:
http://tinyurl.com/q42re

I use the divider racks in my box but remember the canvas roll my dad
used to use when he worked on the Hornet...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie S." wrote in message
I have a set or Craftsman wrenches with both metric and this is not an
efficient way to store these wrenches. They fall out; get
mixed together occasionally, and it's difficult to sort them quickly.

I put the wrench bag in the tool box and go through the same trying
process
over and over again. Could use some suggestions as to how to better store
these items.

You've been watching too many episodes of Monk. I just toss them into a
compartment in the tool box and take out the ones I needed when I need them.
Yes, they do get mixed up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

Charlie S. wrote:
[...]

If you can sew, make a pouch out of some old denim. I use the legs from worn
out blue jeans.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Big Al :

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use the divider racks in my box but remember the canvas roll my dad
used to use when he worked on the Hornet...

If you can sew, make a pouch out of some old denim. I use the legs from worn
out blue jeans.

Or undyed canvas from a fabric store. It's easy to make tool
rolls.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie S. wrote:
I have a set or Craftsman wrenches with both metric and English standard
pieces. It came with a plastic pouch with a divider in the middle. I store
the metric on one side the English standard on the other. Doesn't really
work out all that well. I've mended the bag over the years, but realize
this is not an efficient way to store these wrenches. They fall out; get
mixed together occasionally, and it's difficult to sort them quickly.

Yes, I have a ratchet set, but for some reason I like using the old fashion
wrenches from time to time.

I put the wrench bag in the tool box and go through the same trying process
over and over again. Could use some suggestions as to how to better store
these items.

Have a similar problem with screwdrivers, Phillips vs. straight. Need to
get rid a lot of them. There is too much redundancy.

If they are combination wrenches get two of those
big carabiners and put them on that. If they are
open end wrenchs you have to do something different.

I believe in socks and rubber bands made from
inner tubes. Get an inner tube and cut bands
about 1/2" to 1" wide and you have big heavy duty
rubber bands. But a band on each set of wrenches
and put in a sock. Or, put in a sock, fold over,
and put a band on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie S." wrote in message

I have a set or Craftsman wrenches with both metric and English standard
pieces. . . . and it's difficult to sort them quickly.

If the two sets are marked with differently
coloured tape (round the shank) sorting
into the two sets takes no time.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 14:49:20 GMT, "Charlie S."
wrote:

I have a set or Craftsman wrenches with both metric and English standard
pieces. It came with a plastic pouch with a divider in the middle. I store
the metric on one side the English standard on the other. Doesn't really
work out all that well. I've mended the bag over the years, but realize
this is not an efficient way to store these wrenches. They fall out; get
mixed together occasionally, and it's difficult to sort them quickly.

Yes, I have a ratchet set, but for some reason I like using the old fashion
wrenches from time to time.

I put the wrench bag in the tool box and go through the same trying process
over and over again. Could use some suggestions as to how to better store
these items.

Have a similar problem with screwdrivers, Phillips vs. straight. Need to
get rid a lot of them. There is too much redundancy.

Not the most elegant but I store all my wrenches in a metal tool box.
Since I have less than 20 wrenches I don't bother to sort them out.
But if I had more, I probably make a wall rack to organize them. I
made two separate wooden racks for my screwdrivers. The racks hold
the screwdrivers such that the tips can be seen and they have "L"
hooks in the back so I can hang the racks on wall pegboard.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop Pop is offline

Don Phillipson wrote:
"Charlie S." wrote in message

I have a set or Craftsman wrenches with both metric and
English standard pieces. . . . and it's difficult to
sort them quickly.

If the two sets are marked with differently
coloured tape (round the shank) sorting
into the two sets takes no time.

I cleaned mine with rubbing alcohol, then dipped each end into
some oil paint; works well and soon's you use one, the paint in
the jaws slips right off. Tried tape, taped just the SAE, don't
need to do both, but the tape doesn't stay. Plus it bothered my
hands on the larger wrenches.

FWIW,
Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

z wrote:
Heck, I just sloppily spraypainted one set white on both sides and one
yellow. Not only is it easy to tell them apart, but I never
accidentally leave one behind, in the grass, on the rug, on concrete,
under the hood, anywhere.

PS This is even more useful with Allen wrenches.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JDL JDL is offline

"Charlie S." wrote in

I have a set or Craftsman wrenches with both metric and English
standard pieces. It came with a plastic pouch with a divider in the
middle. I store the metric on one side the English standard on the
other. Doesn't really work out all that well. I've mended the bag
over the years, but realize this is not an efficient way to store
these wrenches. They fall out; get mixed together occasionally, and
it's difficult to sort them quickly.

Yes, I have a ratchet set, but for some reason I like using the old
fashion wrenches from time to time.

I put the wrench bag in the tool box and go through the same trying
process over and over again. Could use some suggestions as to how to
better store these items.

Have a similar problem with screwdrivers, Phillips vs. straight. Need
to get rid a lot of them. There is too much redundancy.

Just get a nice big toolbox and put the wrenches and sockets in order of
size -- separated by metric and standard. My dad gave me a really nice,
older Snap-On rolling toolbox that would probably cost $2500 if bought
new now. But you can get a decent one (Husky brand?)at HD for a couple
hundred. Or a Craftsman at Sears. Or a cheapie at the Harbor Freight.
Or buy a used one from Craig's List or ebay (one that's within your
local pickup distance). Make a small house set to keep in the catch-all
drawer if you have a lot of tool redundancy -- variety of screwdrivers,
pliers, common size wrenches, adjustable wrench, etc.. Then you don't
have to go out to the shed or garage to fetch a tool for common repair
tasks in the house. Make one for your truck. Make one for your child
who just moved into their own place, etc..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JDL" wrote in message
"Charlie S." wrote in

[...]

I thought of just getting a bigger toolbox, never really thought of a larger
rolling type unit. It might be a bit of overkill. I don't have a lot
tools and I'm not a craftsman.

Going to paint the metric wrenches as suggested, test out the carabiner idea
and buy a bigger tool box if needed.

Make a small house set to keep in the catch-all
drawer if you have a lot of tool redundancy -- variety of screwdrivers,
pliers, common size wrenches, adjustable wrench, etc.. Then you don't
have to go out to the shed or garage to fetch a tool for common repair
tasks in the house. Make one for your truck. Make one for your child
who just moved into their own place, etc..

Good ideas... Thanks!

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Pop wrote:

I cleaned mine with rubbing alcohol, then dipped each end into
some oil paint; works well and soon's you use one, the paint in
the jaws slips right off. Tried tape, taped just the SAE, don't
need to do both, but the tape doesn't stay. Plus it bothered my
hands on the larger wrenches.

I tried those stick on labels with size, for sockets. Didn't stick.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

George E. Cawthon wrote:

If they are combination wrenches get two of those
big carabiners and put them on that.

Oooh, that's good. Thanks.