Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default Putting a storage tank on my compressor?

I have a little 2gal Senco compressor. Needless to say, the 2gal is
exhausted pretty fast, and it doesn't build very fast either.

I also have a 5gal Harbor Freight storage tank. I would like to take the
pressure gauge off the storage tank and use that opening as an inlet from
the compressor. The compressor gauge will show the pressure in the storage
tank, so I really don't need the one on the storage tank; and the compressor
won't go over 125psi, so there is no risk of over pressurizing the tank.

Yeah, I know it takes 5 minutes to pump up the storage tank, but once full I
would have a fair amount of air; well, at least enough for my needs.

Is there anything inherently wrong with this scheme? I could pull the 1/4"
inlet and connect there, but I don't see much need for the gauge.

There is no drain on the storage tank. Is that because all the moisture
winds up in the compressor tank?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Toller wrote:

[...]

That's a workable scheme. You may get some condensate carry-over;
just tip the carry tank upside down and disconnect the line to drain
once in a while.
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

very workable, I did that obce years ago, with a small compressor using
a pair of discarded propane cyclinders. later replaced by a lightweight
compressor with better capacity. one with a rubber diaphram, they were
brand new at the time

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Rusling

"Toller" wrote:

[...]

I did that until I got a larger compress and tank. I got a T and put
a male quick connect on the middle and two females on the ends of the
T. I already had a female quick connect on the compressor. I also
had a female quick connect on the portable tank. I made a double male
quick connect and could hook it up with any air hose.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"Toller" wrote in message
Yeah, I know it takes 5 minutes to pump up the storage tank, but once
full I would have a fair amount of air; well, at least enough for my
needs.

Is there anything inherently wrong with this scheme? I could pull the
1/4" inlet and connect there, but I don't see much need for the gauge.

It will work. Whether or not it solves your problem is another matter.
Storage is good, but once used up, the compressor capacity is the same as
it was before adding storage. You have more volume available than you
had, but if you deplete it, the recovery time is going to be longer. If
the stored air fills your needs, it is a good solution.

There is no drain on the storage tank. Is that because all the moisture
winds up in the compressor tank?

Usually. Depends on temperature and humidity.

it's also possible that the compressor head will overheat because of the
extended run times necessary to charge both tanks.