Posted to alt.home.repair
JDL JDL is offline

Default Wrench set storage

"Charlie S." wrote in
news:QjQqg.5555$J47.347@trndny02:

I have a set or Craftsman wrenches with both metric and English
standard pieces. It came with a plastic pouch with a divider in the
middle. I store the metric on one side the English standard on the
other. Doesn't really work out all that well. I've mended the bag
over the years, but realize this is not an efficient way to store
these wrenches. They fall out; get mixed together occasionally, and
it's difficult to sort them quickly.

Yes, I have a ratchet set, but for some reason I like using the old
fashion wrenches from time to time.

I put the wrench bag in the tool box and go through the same trying
process over and over again. Could use some suggestions as to how to
better store these items.

Have a similar problem with screwdrivers, Phillips vs. straight. Need
to get rid a lot of them. There is too much redundancy.

Just get a nice big toolbox and put the wrenches and sockets in order of
size -- separated by metric and standard. My dad gave me a really nice,
older Snap-On rolling toolbox that would probably cost $2500 if bought
new now. But you can get a decent one (Husky brand?)at HD for a couple
hundred. Or a Craftsman at Sears. Or a cheapie at the Harbor Freight.
Or buy a used one from Craig's List or ebay (one that's within your
local pickup distance). Make a small house set to keep in the catch-all
drawer if you have a lot of tool redundancy -- variety of screwdrivers,
pliers, common size wrenches, adjustable wrench, etc.. Then you don't
have to go out to the shed or garage to fetch a tool for common repair
tasks in the house. Make one for your truck. Make one for your child
who just moved into their own place, etc..