Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mansfield toilet: incomplete flush

I am getting incomplete flushes on my Mansfield 1.6gpf toilet. The float
valve drops after only a few seconds. When I take the cover off and watch a
flush, it only lets out about 10% of the water before the float valve drops
and stops the flush. There does not seem to be anything pulling down on the
valve. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

The water level is set properly and I have the supply water valve open all
the way.

Tod

Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

I consider that a feature, depress the handle once for liquids and hold it
down longer for solids.

"Tod DeBie" wrote in message
. ..
I am getting incomplete flushes on my Mansfield 1.6gpf toilet. The float
valve drops after only a few seconds. When I take the cover off and watch
a flush, it only lets out about 10% of the water before the float valve
drops and stops the flush. There does not seem to be anything pulling down
on the valve. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

The water level is set properly and I have the supply water valve open all
the way.

Tod

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tod DeBie" wrote in message
. ..
I am getting incomplete flushes on my Mansfield 1.6gpf toilet. The float
valve drops after only a few seconds. When I take the cover off and watch
a flush, it only lets out about 10% of the water before the float valve
drops and stops the flush. There does not seem to be anything pulling down
on the valve. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

The water level is set properly and I have the supply water valve open all
the way.

Tod

I had such a problem one time. The cause was the washer at the bottom of
the "plunger", the part that raises, had popped loose. I simply reached
into the tank, raised the plunger by hand a couple of inches and pressed the
little sucker back in place. Two fingers on each side of the bottom of the
plunger and press up. I have 3 of them in this house and that one time with
the one plunger is the only problem I have had in 11 years.

Larger loads do require a hold of the lever with just about all of the 1.6
gallon units.

Let me know if this works for you.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 18:58:12 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Tod DeBie" wrote in message
I am getting incomplete flushes on my Mansfield 1.6gpf toilet. The float
valve drops after only a few seconds. When I take the cover off and watch
a flush, it only lets out about 10% of the water before the float valve

Are you talking about the flapper? It doesn't float.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 18:58:12 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Tod DeBie" wrote in message
m...
I am getting incomplete flushes on my Mansfield 1.6gpf toilet. The float
valve drops after only a few seconds. When I take the cover off and
watch
a flush, it only lets out about 10% of the water before the float valve

Are you talking about the flapper? It doesn't float.

Unless the design has changed the Mansfield line does not use a flapper.
They have a part that resembles a household plunger. There is a gasket or
washer inside the plunger that stops the water flow when it sits down on the
seat of flush valve. This entire part is raised no more than 2" when the
handle is depressed. When the washer is properly seated it continues to
hover long enough for a flush to take place. When the washer pops loose it
closes much more quickly.

I just went looking for a picture to post or refer to so I am going to
modify my statement. First the pictu

http://www.plumbingworld.com/mansfield.html

From the picture it appears that the washer is attached to the bottom
portion of the valve. Whatever I pressed back into place was inside the
bell shaped part. Maybe that piece is made in two parts and snaps together.
I inserted my fingers on each side and slightly above the pointer line for
#M001. The entire plunger can be removed by un-screwing the small cap at
the very top of the tube. That way you could remove it and see what you are
doing. I have never taken one apart and am not willing to start this
morning.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Thanks for the correction. I'll drop out of this thread now.

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 09:01:00 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 18:58:12 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Tod DeBie" wrote in message
om...
I am getting incomplete flushes on my Mansfield 1.6gpf toilet. The float
valve drops after only a few seconds. When I take the cover off and
watch
a flush, it only lets out about 10% of the water before the float valve

Are you talking about the flapper? It doesn't float.

Unless the design has changed the Mansfield line does not use a flapper.
They have a part that resembles a household plunger. There is a gasket or
washer inside the plunger that stops the water flow when it sits down on the
seat of flush valve. This entire part is raised no more than 2" when the
handle is depressed. When the washer is properly seated it continues to
hover long enough for a flush to take place. When the washer pops loose it
closes much more quickly.

I just went looking for a picture to post or refer to so I am going to
modify my statement. First the picture

http://www.plumbingworld.com/mansfield.html

From the picture it appears that the washer is attached to the bottom
portion of the valve. Whatever I pressed back into place was inside the
bell shaped part. Maybe that piece is made in two parts and snaps together.
I inserted my fingers on each side and slightly above the pointer line for
#M001. The entire plunger can be removed by un-screwing the small cap at
the very top of the tube. That way you could remove it and see what you are
doing. I have never taken one apart and am not willing to start this
morning.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Colbyt, Mick wrote:
I just installed a new Mansfield yesterday and it still has a flapper.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...sh-124523-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 18:44:02 GMT, Mick
m wrote:

replying to Colbyt, Mick wrote:
I just installed a new Mansfield yesterday and it still has a flapper.

You got a really good deal. Otherwise; without the flapper, the water
bill would skyrocket.
--
"Dumb is local...As soon as you go 15 miles away from your dumbness, you see how dumb you are." -- Sherrod Small
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mick, Jim I wrote:
The plunger type valve is on all the older Mansfields, we have three of them.
They work fine if you don't mind holding the handle down for fuller flushes;
if you don't like the system, it isn't too hard to buy a flapper and convert.
I personally do not really like the system, but it does save quite a bit of
water.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...sh-124523-.htm