Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two dryers - one vent?

First of all, thanks to all who responded to my previous question about
basement floors, your responses were extremely informative. Thank you
guys, you're awesome!

I have one more quick question: I am installing a second dryer in the
laundry room, and my HVAC guy tells me that he can't attach the new
dryer to the vent for the existing dryer and will need to run a new
separate vent. I'm curious as to what the reasons would be for not
sharing a vent between two dryers. (The HVAC guy couldn't give me an
explanation). Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnH

separate vent. I'm curious as to what the reasons would be for not
sharing a vent between two dryers.

Because you will be blowing lint and moisture from one dryer back into
the other.

(out of curiousity, why does someone need 2 dryers?)

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

JohnH wrote:
separate vent. I'm curious as to what the reasons would be for not
sharing a vent between two dryers.

Because you will be blowing lint and moisture from one dryer back into
the other.

I concur. There isn't a *check valve* that will seal tight enough and
still open under the pressure from a dryer blower. BTDT.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

wrote in message
oups.com...
First of all, thanks to all who responded to my previous question about
basement floors, your responses were extremely informative. Thank you
guys, you're awesome!

I have one more quick question: I am installing a second dryer in the
laundry room, and my HVAC guy tells me that he can't attach the new
dryer to the vent for the existing dryer and will need to run a new
separate vent. I'm curious as to what the reasons would be for not
sharing a vent between two dryers. (The HVAC guy couldn't give me an
explanation). Thanks!

My cheap boss once tried this with rest room exhaust vents - the men fouled
the ladies' room and vice versa.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

JohnH wrote in message
. com...

separate vent. I'm curious as to what the reasons would be for not
sharing a vent between two dryers.

Because you will be blowing lint and moisture from one dryer back into
the other.

(out of curiousity, why does someone need 2 dryers?)

Big family? I recently toured a model home and they had two of
everything in it, 2 dishwashers (the theory being one dishwasher could
have clean dishes, and one could have dirty dishes so the family
wouldn't have to unload before loading) two washing machines (no sorting
clothes whites and colors), two dryers (to get laundry done quickly),
etc. Seems like a bit much to me, but it's whatever a person wants I
guess.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
jtees4

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:57:34 -0500, "PanHandler"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
First of all, thanks to all who responded to my previous question about
basement floors, your responses were extremely informative. Thank you
guys, you're awesome!

I have one more quick question: I am installing a second dryer in the
laundry room, and my HVAC guy tells me that he can't attach the new
dryer to the vent for the existing dryer and will need to run a new
separate vent. I'm curious as to what the reasons would be for not
sharing a vent between two dryers. (The HVAC guy couldn't give me an
explanation). Thanks!

My cheap boss once tried this with rest room exhaust vents - the men fouled
the ladies' room and vice versa.

Yeah...but which one smeller worse???
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

jtees4 wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:57:34 -0500, "PanHandler"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
First of all, thanks to all who responded to my previous question
about basement floors, your responses were extremely informative.
Thank you guys, you're awesome!

I have one more quick question: I am installing a second dryer in
the laundry room, and my HVAC guy tells me that he can't attach the
new dryer to the vent for the existing dryer and will need to run a
new separate vent. I'm curious as to what the reasons would be for
not sharing a vent between two dryers. (The HVAC guy couldn't give
me an explanation). Thanks!

My cheap boss once tried this with rest room exhaust vents - the men
fouled the ladies' room and vice versa.

Yeah...but which one smeller worse???

Even I can answer that. It is always the other one.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am into redundancy. I have 2 washers, 2 dryers, and next kitchen
remodel 2 dishwashers. Have spare satellite dish all wired up on my
home. ZERO NITE swap cables and sit back and relax. Have 2 vans too.

Unless you have the bucks for everything brand new, or replace on a
moments notice redundant things make for much less stress

2 washers and dryers speed up laundry a LOT. although ideally it would
be 2 washers and 4 dryers, since it takes twice as long to dry clothes
as wash them

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am into redundancy. I have 2 washers, 2 dryers, and next kitchen
remodel 2 dishwashers. Have spare satellite dish all wired up on my
home. ZERO NITE swap cables and sit back and relax. Have 2 vans too.
Unless you have the bucks for everything brand new, or replace on a
moments notice redundant things make for much less stress
2 washers and dryers speed up laundry a LOT. although ideally it would
be 2 washers and 4 dryers, since it takes twice as long to dry clothes
as wash them

Do you wear a belt AND suspenders also? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a couple times

Hey when any single item breaks its no big deal...

Did have BOTH dryers break the same nite once, for different reasons.

I fix most stuff myself so its nice to not have to hurry!

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a couple times

Hey when any single item breaks its no big deal...

Did have BOTH dryers break the same nite once, for different reasons.

I fix most stuff myself so its nice to not have to hurry!

You are a true paradox ;-) You don't like to hurry yet you would like to
have 4 driers to do laundry faster. Hope your house has 2 floors

Posted to alt.home.repair

I repair office machines for a living my life is hurrying for others.
Whenm my junk breaks I dont want to have to hurry

I have 3 identical electric chainsaws bought at flea markets about 10
bucks each. When a saw has a problem like hit nail I just swap saws and
keep going

I have hoover elite vacuums, all identical buy at flea markets garage
sales, 10 bucks or less each. I canibalize for parts and keep 2 running
at all times one on each floor....

hoover parts are expensive, buy sweepers cheap parts.

I guess I could just buy new every time something breaks but dont
believe in tossing good stuff, and this way saves lots of money

I do admit I dont like spending lots of time doing laundry, multiple
machines helps thats a lot

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

wrote in message
ups.com...
I repair office machines for a living my life is hurrying for others.
Whenm my junk breaks I dont want to have to hurry

I have 3 identical electric chainsaws bought at flea markets about 10
bucks each. When a saw has a problem like hit nail I just swap saws and
keep going

I have hoover elite vacuums, all identical buy at flea markets garage
sales, 10 bucks or less each. I canibalize for parts and keep 2 running
at all times one on each floor....

hoover parts are expensive, buy sweepers cheap parts.

I guess I could just buy new every time something breaks but dont
believe in tossing good stuff, and this way saves lots of money

I do admit I dont like spending lots of time doing laundry, multiple
machines helps thats a lot

Just kidding, Kinda reminds me of Norm Abram (TOH) who has a cordless driver
for each drill bit

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 23:41:58 GMT, "PipeDown"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It's definitely good to have at least two drills, one to drill the
holes and one to drive the screws. Even I have that.

One bought at Sears, a long time ago.
One given to me by the clerk at Black and Decker, after the guy who
brought it in didn't want to pay for repair. I had it repaired 15
minutes after I got home, by adding another washer on the armature.
And one I found lying in the grass at a street corner.

Oh, yeah, I have 6 lawnmowers, but after two were fixed, I couldn't
get the energy or spend even 20 dollars in parts to fix the others.
And I can't manage to give them away, because no one wants them if
they don't work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I try to avoid buying 2 identical washers or dryers at the same time,
it spreads the cost and avoids everything dying together.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

Hope your house has 2 floors

Sure. One is a backup.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mrsgator88

wrote in message
oups.com...
First of all, thanks to all who responded to my previous question about
basement floors, your responses were extremely informative. Thank you
guys, you're awesome!

I have one more quick question: I am installing a second dryer in the
laundry room, and my HVAC guy tells me that he can't attach the new
dryer to the vent for the existing dryer and will need to run a new
separate vent. I'm curious as to what the reasons would be for not
sharing a vent between two dryers. (The HVAC guy couldn't give me an
explanation). Thanks!

Well, I actually did do what you're thinking of. When running one dryer, a
lot of exhaust got blown into the second dryer. There was a flap that
looked like it would block the exhaust from entering the other dryer, but,
it didn't block nearly enough. That caused enough condensation that it
leaked out of the second dryer and onto the floor. All that condensation
corroded the rollers on the second dryer, and one day they just froze up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mrsgator88

"JohnH" wrote in message
ups.com...

separate vent. I'm curious as to what the reasons would be for not
sharing a vent between two dryers.

Because you will be blowing lint and moisture from one dryer back into
the other.

(out of curiousity, why does someone need 2 dryers?)

You don't need 2 dryers. But, many loads (like towels) take a lot longer to
dry than to wash. So it just speeds up the whole process.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shaun Eli

If I have a lot of laundry I do the towels separately, later. I have
enough towels that there's never any rush. And in the winter I
sometimes just hang them inside because the extra humidity is nice.

It's 2006. Detergent research has come a long way since 1950. There's
not a lot of need to wash anything in anything but cold water, and thus
no need to separate the laundry. Nobody's ever told me my white
t-shirts aren't white enough... because they're still as bright as new.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

It's 2006. Detergent research has come a long way since 1950. There's
not a lot of need to wash anything in anything but cold water, and thus
no need to separate the laundry. Nobody's ever told me my white
t-shirts aren't white enough... because they're still as bright as new.

Not quite... Warm/hot still does a better job on grease spots.