Paul Ferguson

Default Plumbing vent partially blocked by fascia

I previously posted a question about a plumbing vent problem pointed
out by a home inspector. I found later that the vent I thought he was
talking about was not the one I looked at.

The plumbing vent in question serves a bathroom.The vent pipe rises
about 5 inches from the roof and about 1 inch above the flashing
assembly that fits under the shingles. The problem is that there is
another gable just above the pipe. The fascia of the top gable has
been notched a bit to accommodate the vent pipe. A small portion of
the vent pipe is blocked by the fascia.

The inside diameter of the steel vent pipe is 1 7/8 inches. If you
look straight down at the vent pipe, the diameter is effectively 1 1/4
inches, because the fascia board blocks 5/8 inches of the diameter of
the pipe opening.

It looks like a problem to change. I thought about putting in some
extra pipe with 2 right angle bends to get it away from the fascia,
but this would require ripping off the flashing assembly, cutting the
pipe near the roof and trying to get proper flashing around a pipe
that bends just an inch or two above the roof. The whole thing is just
a foot away from the roof edge and a problem to work on.

The house is 45 years old, and the vent has not caused any problems
that I am aware of. Any comments on what should be done? I can send a
couple of photos if you want to see it more clearly than I described
it.

PaulF
BobK207

In what context was the inspection done?

Are you buying or selling?

If you're buying negotiate, if your're negotiate.

Really no problems in service? then at first glance, not worth
fixing, more trouble than gain.

My only concern would be odor problem at any nearby windows.

Of course, seeing the installation might cahnge my commetns.

Cheers
Bob

Edwin Pawlowski

"Paul Ferguson" wrote in message

The inside diameter of the steel vent pipe is 1 7/8 inches. If you
look straight down at the vent pipe, the diameter is effectively 1 1/4
inches, because the fascia board blocks 5/8 inches of the diameter of
the pipe opening.

The house is 45 years old, and the vent has not caused any problems
that I am aware of. Any comments on what should be done?

I'd leave it alone. Home inspectors justify getting paid by "helping" the
buyer. This is fine and technically, this should not exist so the inspector
did his job. Reality is, there are some allowances in sizing to take care
of small blockages, additional drains on the line, etc. If this has been
working for 45 years, it is not worth the effort to make changes

Paul Ferguson

I am the seller of the house.
Four photos are posted at:
http://paulferguson.myphotoalbum.com/

Click on the first photo to see all of them.

PaulF

Why not just cut a small notch out of the fascia so that it is not
resting right on top of the vent?

Colbyt

"Paul Ferguson" wrote in message
I am the seller of the house.
Four photos are posted at:
http://paulferguson.myphotoalbum.com/

IMO you only have a problem if the buyer is concerned. I believe that it
has worked fine and will continue to do so for many years.

What does the buyer want?

Colbyt

BobK207

Good photos, the top view tells it all, true "blockage" is minimal at
worst

But if it's a sticking point with they buyer...........

A circle cut with a jig saw or keyhole saw, some primer & paint.

Glue a 45 deg dual offset elbow assembly into place & you're done.

cheers
Bob