miamicuse

Default Vent that does not need to go thru the roof?

I have a 4" vent that exits the house through the block wall, then makes a
90 degree turn before it goes up again along the exterior wall. For some
reason the previous owner must have done some "home" remodeling and put a
window above where this vent exits and in order not to have a vent pipe in
the middle of the window, he created a "detour" for this pipe. This vent
pipe is for the master bath and is at the upstream most point of my sewer
line, all the other bathrooms, kitchen, laundry are downstream from it and
all of them have their own vent. I was told by someone that I can just cut
off this vent where it exits, and remove the entire vent line that twists
and turns along the block wall, and instead connect this special vent cover
to it that has a valve in it. Will this work? Is there a name for such a
vent?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Speedy Jim

miamicuse wrote:

I have a 4" vent that exits the house through the block wall, then makes a
90 degree turn before it goes up again along the exterior wall. For some
reason the previous owner must have done some "home" remodeling and put a
window above where this vent exits and in order not to have a vent pipe in
the middle of the window, he created a "detour" for this pipe. This vent
pipe is for the master bath and is at the upstream most point of my sewer
line, all the other bathrooms, kitchen, laundry are downstream from it and
all of them have their own vent. I was told by someone that I can just cut
off this vent where it exits, and remove the entire vent line that twists
and turns along the block wall, and instead connect this special vent cover
to it that has a valve in it. Will this work? Is there a name for such a
vent?

http://www.studor.net/
(No guarantees that it will work in this application.)
SQLit

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

Generally 90 degree bends in vents are not allowed where I live. You can use
45's but that take planning and a lot of area. Vents are supposed to be
sloped not a flat run.

Please call a pro or the building department where you live.

miamicuse

yes that's it. Is there any reason I cannot replace the current PVC pipe
(which is a 4" PVC pipe reduced to 2" then turn 90 degrees then two 45
degrees) contraption with this?

Is there a possibility that it does nor provide as much air as the regular
open vent pipe?

Heck should I not put one of these to every vent on the roof? It will
prevent rodents or debris from entering the vents.

MC

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
miamicuse wrote:

[...]

miamicuse

"SQLit" wrote in message

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

I know it's not done right, that thing is an eyesore. It makes a 90 degree
turn and at the same time reduces from 4" to 2" then it makes a 45 degree
and another 45 degree before reaching the roof line.

MC

Roof vent with an open/close switch for cathedral ceiling? Joey Goldstein Home Repair 4 July 15th 05 05:05 PM
Need to replace power vent when new roof installed? jay Home Repair 1 June 3rd 05 07:39 PM
Accessing roof vent Peter Wells Home Repair 1 February 6th 05 03:04 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM