Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling Fans

Hi, looking for some advice here. I would like to replace my ceiling
light fixture with a ceiling fan w/light. Is there anything I should
be aware of as far as power is concerned? Will I need to upgrade my
electrical since I'm replacing lights with two motors? I don't want to
keep resetting my circuit breakers. I don't know much about electrical
systems so any advice would be helpful. I think the fans would both be
on a 20 amp circuit. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Couple of issues in doing this. Currently, there is only one wire from your
switch feeding the ceiling box, so unless you get a fan with electronic
controls,or remote controls, you'll have to use the wall switch and pull
chains to control fan and lights separately. The ceiling box is not made for
fan support, so it'll have to be replaced with one that is. I'd also
recommend any fan brand but "Hunter" as they tend to be real heavy, and many
need additional support. The existing power to the box should be sufficient.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, looking for some advice here. I would like to replace my ceiling
light fixture with a ceiling fan w/light. Is there anything I should
be aware of as far as power is concerned? Will I need to upgrade my
electrical since I'm replacing lights with two motors? I don't want to
keep resetting my circuit breakers. I don't know much about electrical
systems so any advice would be helpful. I think the fans would both be
on a 20 amp circuit. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, looking for some advice here. I would like to replace my ceiling
light fixture with a ceiling fan w/light. Is there anything I should
be aware of as far as power is concerned? Will I need to upgrade my
electrical since I'm replacing lights with two motors? I don't want to
keep resetting my circuit breakers. I don't know much about electrical
systems so any advice would be helpful. I think the fans would both be
on a 20 amp circuit. Thanks.

Lighting circuits can be 15 amp. Where I live they are 15 amp almost
exclusively.

I have never seen a ceiling fan with 2 motors. Or do you mean 2 fans with
one motor each?
Unless your using something out of the ordinary the motors should pose no
problem.

HOWEVER, the support of the fan might be a issue. There are special fan
boxes, with 10-24 screws that are attached to the structure. Hanging a fan
from a regular box is just asking for trouble. Home stores have several
kinds available.

Check to see how the boxes are supported, before you buy anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks everyone for their replies. I think I got the answer I was
looking for. Basically I will not have to worry about tripping my
circuit breaker. I will most likely use some kind of fan brace that
they sell at home depot.

SQLit wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Multiple Ceiling Fans, One Controller? Antony N. Lord Home Repair 12 March 13th 06 04:29 AM
Quality of ceiling fans Steve Home Repair 5 August 8th 05 10:58 AM
Ceiling Fan Steve Home Repair 0 August 7th 05 05:59 PM
Vaulted Ceiling--Installing Ceiling Fans Dave Combs Home Repair 0 July 31st 05 02:24 AM
Installing Ceiling Fan with Red wire on electrical box. Josh Home Repair 20 July 31st 03 11:53 AM