DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ceiling Fans (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/164494-ceiling-fans.html)

[email protected] June 4th 06 05:42 AM

Ceiling Fans

Hi, looking for some advice here. I would like to replace my ceiling
light fixture with a ceiling fan w/light. Is there anything I should
be aware of as far as power is concerned? Will I need to upgrade my
electrical since I'm replacing lights with two motors? I don't want to
keep resetting my circuit breakers. I don't know much about electrical
systems so any advice would be helpful. I think the fans would both be
on a 20 amp circuit. Thanks.

RBM June 4th 06 12:02 PM

Ceiling Fans

Couple of issues in doing this. Currently, there is only one wire from your
switch feeding the ceiling box, so unless you get a fan with electronic
controls,or remote controls, you'll have to use the wall switch and pull
chains to control fan and lights separately. The ceiling box is not made for
fan support, so it'll have to be replaced with one that is. I'd also
recommend any fan brand but "Hunter" as they tend to be real heavy, and many
need additional support. The existing power to the box should be sufficient.

oups.com...

SQLit June 4th 06 06:01 PM

Ceiling Fans

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, looking for some advice here. I would like to replace my ceiling
light fixture with a ceiling fan w/light. Is there anything I should
be aware of as far as power is concerned? Will I need to upgrade my
electrical since I'm replacing lights with two motors? I don't want to
keep resetting my circuit breakers. I don't know much about electrical
systems so any advice would be helpful. I think the fans would both be
on a 20 amp circuit. Thanks.

Lighting circuits can be 15 amp. Where I live they are 15 amp almost
exclusively.

I have never seen a ceiling fan with 2 motors. Or do you mean 2 fans with
one motor each?
Unless your using something out of the ordinary the motors should pose no
problem.

HOWEVER, the support of the fan might be a issue. There are special fan
boxes, with 10-24 screws that are attached to the structure. Hanging a fan
from a regular box is just asking for trouble. Home stores have several
kinds available.

Check to see how the boxes are supported, before you buy anything.

[email protected] June 5th 06 06:05 AM

Ceiling Fans

thanks everyone for their replies. I think I got the answer I was
looking for. Basically I will not have to worry about tripping my
circuit breaker. I will most likely use some kind of fan brace that
they sell at home depot.

SQLit wrote:
oups.com...

[email protected] June 5th 06 02:29 PM

Ceiling Fans

wrote:
thanks everyone for their replies. I think I got the answer I was
looking for. Basically I will not have to worry about tripping my
circuit breaker. I will most likely use some kind of fan brace that
they sell at home depot.

The advice about there only being a single circuit going to the light
is a good one. One solution would be to use the wireless remotes
that are available. You could remove/bypass the existing switch, then
use the remote to control the fan/lights. If you want the lights to
still be controlled by the wall switch, then things get more
complicated. You'd have to get a new hot wire run to the fans. If
there is attic above, that could be fairly easy. If not, it's a real
pain. You could then use a wireless for the fan and the wall switch
for the lights.

Kyle June 6th 06 07:17 PM

Ceiling Fans

wrote:
I will most likely use some kind of fan brace that
they sell at home depot.

Two bits of advice:
(1) don't buy a Hampton Bay fan (Home Depot's private label) as they
tend to be noisy fans - humming from the fan motors, particularly at
low speeds. It's worth the extra dollars in lifespan and quietness to
buy Hunter, particularly for bedrooms.
(2) if you get the heavy Hunter, make sure you get the highest quality
box and brace. HD and Lowe's sell DIY electric box kits that MIGHT do
the job. But if you have access to the ceiling joists, you're better
off putting in 2x4 braces and attaching the electrical box to them. It
might even be worth the effort to cut into the ceiling, if you're a bit
adventurous and the ceiling already needs painting...