Steve

Default Quality of ceiling fans

I am looking at buying a few new ceiling fans. The ones currently installed
in my home are mostly geared towards children and/or in general aren't the
right fans for me.

What are the key items that one should look for in quality ceiling fans?

I am very picky on noise and wobble, vibration, hum, etc. I don't mind
paying more for these items. I am willing to pay more to eliminate these
items, but I've been many places - Lowe's, Home Depot, specialty stores, etc
and been suggested fans from $80 to $800. One sales person says a $100 Monte
Carlo is better than a $200 Casablanca. Another says a $150 AirFlow is
better than a $150 Hampton Bay. I know everyone has an opinion and though,
but what things can I look at for myself to find what would provide the
smoothest, quietest operation? Its hard to compare this in a noisy showroom
are in the middle of Home Depot.

G Henslee

Steve wrote:
I am looking at buying a few new ceiling fans. The ones currently installed
in my home are mostly geared towards children and/or in general aren't the
right fans for me.

There was a thread here regarding this exact topic last week.
Dan C

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 17:53:33 +0000, Steve wrote:

What are the key items that one should look for in quality ceiling fans?

Look back through the newsgroup a little. This question is covered (ad
nauseum) about every other week...

Linux Registered User #327951

Bruce

"Steve" wrote in
:

[...]

Try this thread:

My newsreader shows it started on Monday, 8/1/05, 7:22 PM (West Coast),
by Peter.

Good luck,
Bruce
Steve

Thanks for the info. Please forgive me starting a new thread, I did read
that one. However, I guess my question isn't which manufacturer is the best,
because frankly regardless of good or bad experiences everyone has a
different perspective of whats good or bad for them. So I wanted to stay
away from "which brand is best" and I was more looking for input on what one
should look at regardless of brand names - are there are key operating
specs to look for or avoid in a ceiling fan if one is very picky on wobble,
hum, and noise. For example, fans come with all sizes of motors and I know a
215mm x 25mm motor is larger than a 172mm x 14mm motor - does a larger motor
generally equate to smoother operation though? Same thing with RPMs, # of
blades, plade pitch, etc - I understand these will impact airflow, but
what's their impact on smoothness or noise?

"Bruce" wrote in message
7.136...
"Steve" wrote in
:

[...]

Don Wiss

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 23:40:49 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

I was more looking for input on what one
should look at regardless of brand names - are there are key operating
specs to look for or avoid in a ceiling fan if one is very picky on wobble,
hum, and noise.

If you can afford it your best is Casablanca. And you don't need to simply
buy what the store has. They have numerous styles and can be configured
whatever way you want them. Like more than a dozen different wood blades.
Many different finishes. There are a couple places that sell them on the
web.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Ceiling Fan Steve Home Repair 0 August 7th 05 05:59 PM
Vaulted Ceiling--Installing Ceiling Fans Dave Combs Home Repair 0 July 31st 05 02:24 AM
DC Fans - weird problem RR Electronics Repair 12 September 13th 03 09:19 PM
Detecting Insulation in Ceiling and Walls Paul Home Repair 6 August 18th 03 05:59 PM
Installing Ceiling Fan with Red wire on electrical box. Josh Home Repair 20 July 31st 03 11:53 AM