Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Default opinions on painting pine wall

We have a 1950's ranch and almost everything has been updated thus far,
except for what we call the mud room. This is about a 15x15 foot
heated room between the garage and rest of house that has glossy pine
tongue and groove walls and ceiling. Originally I was planning on
tearing out the walls and ceiling and replacing with standard drywall,
but I'm starting to wonder if that would be a big mistake (maybe we
should keep it for character). I'm starting to think I could paint the
panelling white (using a strong primer then oil based paint). This
would sort of give the beach house/cabin look I think. Does this sound
doable? Do you think this will look all right or cheesey, or am I
convincing myself that it will look decent knowing it will save a lot
of time/money? Would you do BOTH walls and ceiling white, or just
walls leaving the ceiling a glossy pine?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 1 Jun 2006 13:02:31 -0700, "grodenhiATgmailDOTcom"
wrote:

We have a 1950's ranch and almost everything has been updated thus far,
except for what we call the mud room. This is about a 15x15 foot
heated room between the garage and rest of house that has glossy pine
tongue and groove walls and ceiling. Originally I was planning on
tearing out the walls and ceiling and replacing with standard drywall,
but I'm starting to wonder if that would be a big mistake (maybe we
should keep it for character). I'm starting to think I could paint the
panelling white (using a strong primer then oil based paint). This
would sort of give the beach house/cabin look I think. Does this sound
doable? Do you think this will look all right or cheesey, or am I
convincing myself that it will look decent knowing it will save a lot
of time/money? Would you do BOTH walls and ceiling white, or just
walls leaving the ceiling a glossy pine?

I wouldn't mess with it at all. DOn't you have anything
better to spend the money on? Beer? A trip to
niagra? Just build storage benches or overhead
cabinets, and put all the crap you keep there in those.
It will then look so much better you won't need to
change it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

We would like to "modernize it" in that this is the room that almost
everyone entesr from the outside and all the glossy wood looks very
dated. We are also planning on openning the kitchen up into this
space. Not so much taking out a wall but making a large openning in
the existing wall to open the area up. This is also the room that
heads out to the back patio, so it does get a lot of use and is not
simply used as a storage area.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

You will probably have to break the gloss with sandpaper or solvents
made for that purpose (wil-bond was a common brand) hit it with sanding
sealer and apply paint.
Might look good as a wiped or pickled finish with some wood grain
showing through.
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

[...]

Your house, your taste, but I think you'll find that a lot of people
would prefer the wood look. If it's just the glossy finish that's
bothering you, take some steel wool to it and rub it down to a satin
sheen.

If you're going to paint it, use some Benjamin Moore Fresh Start
primer. It's made to adhere to all sorts of surfaces that would
normally require sanding, such as glossy varnish. Make sure there's
not a wax finish on the wood as that will interfere with any coating's
adhesion. Then paint as usual. I would think long and hard about
painting the ceiling and the walls. Leaving the wood ceiling might be
a nice compromise and less work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article .com,
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom says...

We have a 1950's ranch and almost everything has been updated thus far,
except for what we call the mud room. This is about a 15x15 foot
heated room between the garage and rest of house that has glossy pine
tongue and groove walls and ceiling. Originally I was planning on
tearing out the walls and ceiling and replacing with standard drywall,
but I'm starting to wonder if that would be a big mistake (maybe we
should keep it for character). I'm starting to think I could paint the
panelling white (using a strong primer then oil based paint). This
would sort of give the beach house/cabin look I think. Does this sound
doable? Do you think this will look all right or cheesey, or am I
convincing myself that it will look decent knowing it will save a lot
of time/money? Would you do BOTH walls and ceiling white, or just
walls leaving the ceiling a glossy pine?

I would leave the ceiling, possibly knocking down the gloss a bit with steel
wool, and then prime (Bin or Ben Moore Fresh Start) and paint the walls either
off white (if it were me, it'd be Ben Moore's White Dove) or a neutral that
works well with neighboring rooms. Might take more than two coats. IMO,
painted panelling looks quite nice.

Besides, if you try the paint first, find you don't like it, then you can knock
it out and go for drywall. You can't go the other way around. Worth trying
first.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

There are very noticable grooves between the "planks". While we are
kind of openning it up to the kitchen, it will be n no means the same
room. Currently there is a door between the two rooms and a window. I
plan to take out the door and make it like a standard interior doorway
(doorway with no door in it that is), and take out and enlarge the
window spot. While I know the walls would not match the kitchen, I was
thinking leaving it a sitting room with a beach house feel (wicker
etc), and thought white solid panelling would maybe look alright. I
never thought of it until we started looking at the Pottery Barn
catalog for something else and noticed MANY of the rooms they showed
had a beach cottage look with white panelled walls. I was wondering
the best proactice to do this, and before attempting what people's
opinions were on if it would look nice, or a cheap way to cover
panelling. The panelling up is real wood, not the 70's style made of
particle board. We are thinking of leaving the ceiling as it is, but
the oragny shiney wood on walls and celing is too much.

wrote:
I picture noticable grooves in the siding.
If that is true, painiting is going to look strange.
Since you are considering joining the space to the kitchen, I'd take
clues from the kitchen finishes.
TB

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS

On 1 Jun 2006 16:50:41 -0700, "grodenhiATgmailDOTcom"
wrote:

[...]

This will look just fine, in my view. Go for it. Just make sure to
clean the walls thoroughly with something like Soilax, scuff up the
surface, and put down a good primer (oil based would give the best
results, I imagine) and then paint it. My parents did something
similar with their one wall of paneling in our old family room, and I
thought the results were great. You get texture and depth and an
interesting result.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 1 Jun 2006 16:47:40 -0700, Banty wrote:

[...]

Find a local artist, buy a couple of really big paintings from them,
and hang them in that room. That will cover enough of the wood so
that the remainder won't be overpowering, support a local artist,
be cheaper, and is easier to change, later. FAiling that, try
tapestries. Tapestries are cool.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

[...]

I'd work with what you've got. A moose head would probably be too large, but
just antlers or smaller critters (badger, beaver, skunk, etc.), along with a
couple of rifles and an Indian blanket would add some flavor.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Painting a new plaster wall Brian UK diy 2 November 10th 04 08:26 PM
Painting a plasterd wall Sparks UK diy 5 February 24th 04 08:52 AM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Repair 46 October 26th 03 01:53 PM
How to Remove Painted Wallpaper from Wall & Painting Paneling tom Home Repair 6 June 29th 03 07:17 AM