Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Default opinions on painting pine wall

We would like to "modernize it" in that this is the room that almost
everyone entesr from the outside and all the glossy wood looks very
dated. We are also planning on openning the kitchen up into this
space. Not so much taking out a wall but making a large openning in
the existing wall to open the area up. This is also the room that
heads out to the back patio, so it does get a lot of use and is not
simply used as a storage area.

Goedjn wrote:
On 1 Jun 2006 13:02:31 -0700, "grodenhiATgmailDOTcom"
wrote:

We have a 1950's ranch and almost everything has been updated thus far,
except for what we call the mud room. This is about a 15x15 foot
heated room between the garage and rest of house that has glossy pine
tongue and groove walls and ceiling. Originally I was planning on
tearing out the walls and ceiling and replacing with standard drywall,
but I'm starting to wonder if that would be a big mistake (maybe we
should keep it for character). I'm starting to think I could paint the
panelling white (using a strong primer then oil based paint). This
would sort of give the beach house/cabin look I think. Does this sound
doable? Do you think this will look all right or cheesey, or am I
convincing myself that it will look decent knowing it will save a lot
of time/money? Would you do BOTH walls and ceiling white, or just
walls leaving the ceiling a glossy pine?

I wouldn't mess with it at all. DOn't you have anything
better to spend the money on? Beer? A trip to
niagra? Just build storage benches or overhead
cabinets, and put all the crap you keep there in those.
It will then look so much better you won't need to
change it.