Posted to alt.home.repair

Default opinions on painting pine wall

You will probably have to break the gloss with sandpaper or solvents
made for that purpose (wil-bond was a common brand) hit it with sanding
sealer and apply paint.
Might look good as a wiped or pickled finish with some wood grain
showing through.
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:
We have a 1950's ranch and almost everything has been updated thus far,
except for what we call the mud room. This is about a 15x15 foot
heated room between the garage and rest of house that has glossy pine
tongue and groove walls and ceiling. Originally I was planning on
tearing out the walls and ceiling and replacing with standard drywall,
but I'm starting to wonder if that would be a big mistake (maybe we
should keep it for character). I'm starting to think I could paint the
panelling white (using a strong primer then oil based paint). This
would sort of give the beach house/cabin look I think. Does this sound
doable? Do you think this will look all right or cheesey, or am I
convincing myself that it will look decent knowing it will save a lot
of time/money? Would you do BOTH walls and ceiling white, or just
walls leaving the ceiling a glossy pine?