Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Hello all, question about locks

Gwen Morse wrote:
Hello, I've been lurking in the group a few weeks. It's interesting
reading to be sure!

I'm having a professional replace my front door, and along with that,
I'm getting new handle/locks. In the past, I had a special lock that I
loved. It was "always" locked. That lock was replaced in the past,
but, I still miss it.

If you opened the door from the outside with a key and then closed the
door, it was automatically locked (without having to hand-turn the
little tab to lock it again). If you opened the door from the inside,
it was always unlocked.

So, basically, you never had to remember to lock the door, but, you
always had to carry your key. If you wanted to be able to leave the
door unlocked (say, if moving furniture in and out or having guests
over), you could turn the little tab in the inner handle and the
outside would be unlocked as well. As soon as you turned the tab back
to 'locked', it would work the way I originally described.

When I asked the hardware guy in home depot, he didn't know of any
locks that definately worked this way. Looking at the "Lock functions"
at Schlage's web site
(http://consumer.schlage.com/products...asp?StyleID=48) ,
it shows that "Storeroom locks" work a bit like what I want, but, it
doesn't appear to have a function to leave it unlocked.

Anyone updates on what I'm looking for would be appreciated.

Gwen

Stop at a lock smith's shop. I'll bet they will have what you want.
You will also find much higher quality locks that you are going to find at
Home Depot.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

You will also find much higher quality locks that you are going to find at
Home Depot.

At a much higher price I bet too. If a ne'er do well wants in bad
enough a lock wont stop him.. Save your money

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
ups.com...
You will also find much higher quality locks that you are going to find
at

Home Depot.

At a much higher price I bet too. If a ne'er do well wants in bad
enough a lock wont stop him.. Save your money

How much higher?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
You will also find much higher quality locks that you are going to
find at

Home Depot.

At a much higher price I bet too. If a ne'er do well wants in bad
enough a lock wont stop him.. Save your money

How much higher?

It depends on what you want. You get what you pay for. You may find
that you are not paying much more at all and are getting a much better
lockset. Stop by and see what they have and what they charge. They will not
force you to buy it. :-)

BTW my father, who was a locksmith, had a good saying. No one will stop
someone who really wants into your home, but all you need do is make your
home look less attractive than the home next door. Better locks, and less
affluent looking properly are both parts of that deal.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
You will also find much higher quality locks that you are going to
find at
Home Depot.

At a much higher price I bet too. If a ne'er do well wants in bad
enough a lock wont stop him.. Save your money

How much higher?

It depends on what you want.

I didn't expect bigjim to answer the question, Joseph. If he actually could
provide a dollar figure, it would only be accurate based on the one
transaction which produced the number. And, it wouldn't matter to me anyway.
There have been times when I've needed a locksmith, and I had no problem
paying for the service. Last time was when I wanted 3 locks keyed alike, and
Home Despot didn't have 3 of the same style, with the same keys. They sell a
"re-key it yourself" kit. Right. Just what I need - being unable to work my
locks because I screwed them up. A locksmith charged me $30 to do 3 locks,
with a total of 8 keys. That was a bargain.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Joseph Meehan wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
You will also find much higher quality locks that you are going to
find at
Home Depot.

At a much higher price I bet too. If a ne'er do well wants in bad
enough a lock wont stop him.. Save your money

How much higher?

It depends on what you want. You get what you pay for. You may
find that you are not paying much more at all and are getting a much
better lockset. Stop by and see what they have and what they charge. They
will not force you to buy it. :-)

I should add that my experience with locksmiths and locks is too far out
of date to give any meaningful information about specific pricing.

BTW my father, who was a locksmith, had a good saying. No one will
stop someone who really wants into your home, but all you need do is
make your home look less attractive than the home next door. Better
locks, and less affluent looking properly are both parts of that deal.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Really? A bargain? Every Home Depot and Lowe's I've ever shopped at
(several of each) has rekeyed locks for free. Granted several times I've
had to offer them a little guidance, but each time it got done just fine
at no charge beyond the regular cost of the locksets. This includes one
time with four leverset / deadbolt combos, 8 cylinders total. These were
all decent midrange Schlage units, not cheap junk.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

"Pete C." wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

For certain transactions, I want to be able to actually find the person who
did the work later, just in case. Big box stores do not guarantee that
option. And, if you had to offer some guidance, then you've provided further
insight into why I wouldn't want to deal with those people.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Alrighty though I can't imagine any reason you'd need to find the one
specific person who rekeyed a lock. It's not like it's any particular
advantage for burglars or anything and you as a customer should be
pretty anonymous. Also not like rekeying a lock has any bearing on
failures or warrantee coverage.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

"Pete C." wrote in message

Alrighty though I can't imagine any reason you'd need to find the one
specific person who rekeyed a lock. It's not like it's any particular
advantage for burglars or anything and you as a customer should be
pretty anonymous. Also not like rekeying a lock has any bearing on
failures or warrantee coverage.

Pete C.

Simple: In case something's wrong. It would be worthwhile to me to have a
locksmith come to my house to fix the problem, rather than my having to
waste my time trying to find the so-called "expert" at Home Depot, who's
hiding in a corner picking his nose, or playing expert in some other
department he knows nothing about. I shop at the store, but never if I need
assistance with my purchase.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 04:19:06 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
On 30 May 2006 16:21:16 -0700, wrote:

You will also find much higher quality locks that you are going to find
at
Home Depot.

At a much higher price I bet too. If a ne'er do well wants in bad
enough a lock wont stop him.. Save your money
But she's not looking for quaility, as you seem to assume. She's
looking for a design she likes. It may just happen to have higher
quality and cost more, but you have to spend money to get what you
want.

As far as wants in bad enough, you're right, someone could dynamite
the wall of my house. But a cheap lock keeps out most people, and a
lock with screws that go deep into the jam keep out a few others.

My best friend's parents never locked their doors, up until they moved
2 years ago. But they never got burgled either. Locks work, and most
people need them.

You need locks for two reasons:

1) You'll feel like a moron if you get robbed and the house wasn't locked.

2) If you tell the cops the place wasn't locked, they'll make a note of that
in their report. You will be given the usual 17th pink copy, totally
illegible, except for the words "house not locked", and your insurance
company will use that as an excuse not to honor the claim.

You're kidding! I'll bet if your car is unlocked
and it is stolen, that the insurance company won't
honor the insurance for theft and fire. Not!

I'm too old to understand your last sentence. You're saying they will
or they won't pay a claim if the car isn't locked?

I think they will, and for things stolen from an unlocked house, but
it would depend on what the policy says. Sometimes insurance policies
start off good, adn when they are renewed, the terms are changed. I
certainly don't read my policies in full everytime they are renewed.
Some states, maybe most or all, have laws, I think, requiring changes
to be listed on a separate sheet, so one only has to read the changes.

If a roommate is suing another for losses to a thief, if the other
roommate left the door unlocked, when it was normally locked, he's
likely liable to first roommate. And after payment he would have a
claim against the thief.

But the general meaning of an "insurer" is a guarantor of
reimbursement. How often do policies change that, I don't know. But,
for example, if everything is done right, a house fire will almost
never occur. Someone has been negligent almost every time. Does that
mean insurance almost never pays for house fires? I don't think so,
but I welcome correction.