Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Hello all, question about locks

Gwen Morse wrote:
Hello, I've been lurking in the group a few weeks. It's interesting
reading to be sure!

I'm having a professional replace my front door, and along with that,
I'm getting new handle/locks. In the past, I had a special lock that I
loved. It was "always" locked. That lock was replaced in the past,
but, I still miss it.

If you opened the door from the outside with a key and then closed the
door, it was automatically locked (without having to hand-turn the
little tab to lock it again). If you opened the door from the inside,
it was always unlocked.

So, basically, you never had to remember to lock the door, but, you
always had to carry your key. If you wanted to be able to leave the
door unlocked (say, if moving furniture in and out or having guests
over), you could turn the little tab in the inner handle and the
outside would be unlocked as well. As soon as you turned the tab back
to 'locked', it would work the way I originally described.

When I asked the hardware guy in home depot, he didn't know of any
locks that definately worked this way. Looking at the "Lock functions"
at Schlage's web site
(http://consumer.schlage.com/products...asp?StyleID=48) ,
it shows that "Storeroom locks" work a bit like what I want, but, it
doesn't appear to have a function to leave it unlocked.

Anyone updates on what I'm looking for would be appreciated.

Gwen

Stop at a lock smith's shop. I'll bet they will have what you want.
You will also find much higher quality locks that you are going to find at
Home Depot.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit