Posted to alt.home.repair
kheffner

Default Corian sink repair

How do I buff out or repair a corian sink edge that has been burned
slightly by a hot pan rested on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

www.corian.com

"kheffner" wrote in message
news:99db5244c5bf149f9a3a9c28b5e55c72@homerepairli ve.com...
How do I buff out or repair a corian sink edge that has been burned
slightly by a hot pan rested on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Did you even look at your lame link to find out it has no information about
repair. Closest it comes to answering the OP question is to say not to put
hot pots on the surface. I think he already knows that.

The general wisdom on countertops is that once you buy all the required
abrasives and power buffer needed to remove the defect and then polish the
surface, you will have spent as much as a pro and have lots of leftovers.
Then there is the issue of skill, do you think you can make it look good the
first and only time you will do it. Corian also has the option of color
matched fillers if required, you'll never get that in the retail world.

If it is a real shallow burn, you might try some rubbing compound but even
this might dull the finish.

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
www.corian.com

"kheffner" wrote in message
news:99db5244c5bf149f9a3a9c28b5e55c72@homerepairli ve.com...
How do I buff out or repair a corian sink edge that has been burned
slightly by a hot pan rested on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I guess you didn't look deep enuf:

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_U...rian_care.html

Beyond that he will indeed have to call a pro.

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...
Did you even look at your lame link to find out it has no information
about repair. Closest it comes to answering the OP question is to say not
to put hot pots on the surface. I think he already knows that.

The general wisdom on countertops is that once you buy all the required
abrasives and power buffer needed to remove the defect and then polish the
surface, you will have spent as much as a pro and have lots of leftovers.
Then there is the issue of skill, do you think you can make it look good
the first and only time you will do it. Corian also has the option of
color matched fillers if required, you'll never get that in the retail
world.

If it is a real shallow burn, you might try some rubbing compound but even
this might dull the finish.

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
www.corian.com

"kheffner" wrote in message
news:99db5244c5bf149f9a3a9c28b5e55c72@homerepairli ve.com...
How do I buff out or repair a corian sink edge that has been burned
slightly by a hot pan rested on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

I found that, it still has nothing about repair. It is strictly care and
maintenence. This is the page that says not to put hot pots on the counter I
referred to.

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
I guess you didn't look deep enuf:

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_U...rian_care.html

Beyond that he will indeed have to call a pro.

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...
Did you even look at your lame link to find out it has no information
about repair. Closest it comes to answering the OP question is to say
not to put hot pots on the surface. I think he already knows that.

The general wisdom on countertops is that once you buy all the required
abrasives and power buffer needed to remove the defect and then polish
the surface, you will have spent as much as a pro and have lots of
leftovers. Then there is the issue of skill, do you think you can make it
look good the first and only time you will do it. Corian also has the
option of color matched fillers if required, you'll never get that in the
retail world.

If it is a real shallow burn, you might try some rubbing compound but
even this might dull the finish.

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
www.corian.com

"kheffner" wrote in message
news:99db5244c5bf149f9a3a9c28b5e55c72@homerepairli ve.com...
How do I buff out or repair a corian sink edge that has been burned
slightly by a hot pan rested on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

"PipeDown" writes:

I found that, it still has nothing about repair. It is strictly care and
maintenence. This is the page that says not to put hot pots on the counter I
referred to.

Right near the end it discussed sanding pads.

In my opinion, you're wasting your time.
Contact Corian. They'll fix the counter.

I don't know how old yours is, but mine exploded (cracked) a couple of years
after I got it. (Microwave heated the counter.) Corian fixed it no
questions asked. Total cost ZERO.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

You gave up too early. Sanding instructions are on that page.

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...
I found that, it still has nothing about repair. It is strictly care and
maintenence. This is the page that says not to put hot pots on the counter
I referred to.

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
I guess you didn't look deep enuf:

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_U...rian_care.html

Beyond that he will indeed have to call a pro.

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...
Did you even look at your lame link to find out it has no information
about repair. Closest it comes to answering the OP question is to say
not to put hot pots on the surface. I think he already knows that.

The general wisdom on countertops is that once you buy all the required
abrasives and power buffer needed to remove the defect and then polish
the surface, you will have spent as much as a pro and have lots of
leftovers. Then there is the issue of skill, do you think you can make
it look good the first and only time you will do it. Corian also has
the option of color matched fillers if required, you'll never get that
in the retail world.

If it is a real shallow burn, you might try some rubbing compound but
even this might dull the finish.

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
www.corian.com

"kheffner" wrote in message
news:99db5244c5bf149f9a3a9c28b5e55c72@homerepairli ve.com...
How do I buff out or repair a corian sink edge that has been burned
slightly by a hot pan rested on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Darrell Dorsey

"Art" wrote in message
.net...
You gave up too early. Sanding instructions are on that page.

Art, maybe he wanted you to cut and paste the instructions for him???

Removing Minor Cuts and Scratches*
Because the solid beauty of Corian® goes all the way through, Corian®
surfaces are completely renewable. You can remove minor cuts and scratches
yourself by following these instructions.

Judge the severity of the scratch and start with the finest grit sanding pad
to remove the scratch. (The color of the pads from roughest to smoothest
a White, Yellow, Green, Peach, Lilac, Blue, Gray.) Rub over scratch in a
straight line to remove it. Periodically switch rubbing direction 90°. Be
sure all of the scratch is removed. If this first step takes too long, try
the next heavier grit sanding pad. To minimize dust during sanding, wet the
surface. Rinse pad periodically to clean residue.

Clean top with water. Select next lighter grit and repeat process. Rub over
a larger area to blend in sanding.

Continue process using successively finer grits until desired gloss level is
achieved. Rinse out all pads used and air dry before putting them away.

Sources for materials mentioned above:

Cleaner for DuPont™ Corian®
SCI (800) 839-1654

Clean EnCounters®
SCI (800) 839-1654

Abrasive pads
Micro-Surface Finishing Products, Inc.
(800) 225-3006

Countertop Magic®
Magic America Corp.
(800) 321-6330

Hope’s Countertop Polish
The Hope Co. (800) 325-4026

Enhance Countertop Polish
EMS – (800) 643-8818

Hope’s Countertop Polish
The Hope Co. (800) 325-4026

SoftScrub®
Local supermarkets

Green Scotch-Brite®
Local supermarkets

*For large defects and repairs or for complete routine professional
refurbishing service, contact your local Corian® sales expert.

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...
I found that, it still has nothing about repair. It is strictly care and
maintenence. This is the page that says not to put hot pots on the counter
I referred to.

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
I guess you didn't look deep enuf:

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_U...rian_care.html

Beyond that he will indeed have to call a pro.

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...
Did you even look at your lame link to find out it has no information
about repair. Closest it comes to answering the OP question is to say
not to put hot pots on the surface. I think he already knows that.

The general wisdom on countertops is that once you buy all the required
abrasives and power buffer needed to remove the defect and then polish
the surface, you will have spent as much as a pro and have lots of
leftovers. Then there is the issue of skill, do you think you can make
it look good the first and only time you will do it. Corian also has
the option of color matched fillers if required, you'll never get that
in the retail world.

If it is a real shallow burn, you might try some rubbing compound but
even this might dull the finish.

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
www.corian.com

"kheffner" wrote in message
news:99db5244c5bf149f9a3a9c28b5e55c72@homerepairli ve.com...
How do I buff out or repair a corian sink edge that has been burned
slightly by a hot pan rested on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Well I could give him a fish or I could give him a fishing rod. I did the
latter.

"Darrell Dorsey" wrote in message
ervers.com...

"Art" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

Cleaner for DuPontT Corian®
SCI (800) 839-1654

Clean EnCounters®
SCI (800) 839-1654

Abrasive pads
Micro-Surface Finishing Products, Inc.
(800) 225-3006

Countertop Magic®
Magic America Corp.
(800) 321-6330

Hope's Countertop Polish
The Hope Co. (800) 325-4026

Enhance Countertop Polish
EMS - (800) 643-8818

Hope's Countertop Polish
The Hope Co. (800) 325-4026

SoftScrub®
Local supermarkets

Green Scotch-Brite®
Local supermarkets

*For large defects and repairs or for complete routine professional
refurbishing service, contact your local Corian® sales expert.

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...
I found that, it still has nothing about repair. It is strictly care and
maintenence. This is the page that says not to put hot pots on the
counter I referred to.

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
I guess you didn't look deep enuf:

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_U...rian_care.html

Beyond that he will indeed have to call a pro.

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...
Did you even look at your lame link to find out it has no information
about repair. Closest it comes to answering the OP question is to say
not to put hot pots on the surface. I think he already knows that.

The general wisdom on countertops is that once you buy all the
required abrasives and power buffer needed to remove the defect and
then polish the surface, you will have spent as much as a pro and have
lots of leftovers. Then there is the issue of skill, do you think you
can make it look good the first and only time you will do it. Corian
also has the option of color matched fillers if required, you'll never
get that in the retail world.

If it is a real shallow burn, you might try some rubbing compound but
even this might dull the finish.

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
www.corian.com