Longashes

Default Cushions sink in leather sofa - repair help!

I have a nice leather sofa that's about 2 years old. The fabric that
covers the springs beneath the cushions has ripped and the cushions
sink too far down. Do I simply replace the fabric? Any suggestions
on repair?

Thanks in advance.

Rich
Steve

This shouldn't have happened.. I would suspect there is some defect in the
webbing that is over the springs and beneath the fabric.

Take a look at what else has failed under the fabric and fix that before you
replace the fabric.

Steve

Gini

"Longashes" wrote in message
om...
I have a nice leather sofa that's about 2 years old. The fabric that
covers the springs beneath the cushions has ripped and the cushions
sink too far down. Do I simply replace the fabric? Any suggestions
on repair?

==
Gosh that didn't last long. Anyway, my solution for sinking springs was to
store
the extra leaf to my oak dining table under the cushions of my loveseat. I
never use
it anywayand it fits perfectly.
For your sofa, a heavy plywood board should work. You can cover it
with batting and fabric so there are no sharp edges to damage your sofa.
You can also buy boards for the same purpose. I believe I saw them in
the "Home Improvements" ? or similar catalog.
==
==

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Longashes

To clarify, the leather cushions sit on top of the fabric which
protects the "springs". The fabric ripped so I pulled it back some.
Looks like the "springs" are actually heavy wires that go from the
front to the back of the sofa. They will spread far enough apart that
they are separating when you sit down. Hence, you sit lower than you
should. I may take some wiring and strap them together better.

Pretty poor design if you ask me.

Thanks again.

Rich
Gini

"Longashes" wrote in message
om...
To clarify, the leather cushions sit on top of the fabric which
protects the "springs". The fabric ripped so I pulled it back some.
Looks like the "springs" are actually heavy wires that go from the
front to the back of the sofa. They will spread far enough apart that
they are separating when you sit down. Hence, you sit lower than you
should. I may take some wiring and strap them together better.

Pretty poor design if you ask me.

==
That sounds awful. Is it still under warranty? It certainly should be.
==

Thanks again.

Rich

Steve

There is normally some canvas webbing, about 1.5" wide the runs the long way
over these springs. There should also be some wire links between adjacent
springs to form a web of support.

I agree with others, maybe you should contact the store with a complaint.

Steve

wayne

Are the spring zig zag springs as opposed to coil? If so they should be
tied together about every 6-12". Like I said turn the sofa over and look
how it is in the are where it is not damaged. Some parachute cord should
work fine. As for the top part that is torn that will be tough to repair
best you can do is put a folded blanket over the tear. you may want to
contact MFG they may be willing to do something if the unit is not too old
and has not been abused!

Wayne

om...