Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Floating a deck on a flat roof

Ok, I have a great flat roof that would make an Awesome deck, it's got
a great view and once we put a dormer and french door in, we will be
golden. I heard tat this Old House "Floated" a deck over a roof. Does
anyone know how this works? We have to get the roof re-done at some
point, so if i'm going ot have to tie things in i'd rather do it then.
I als might make it so it is easy to access under the deck, just
incase.

Can anyone be any help?

Thanks,

Adam

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

I think they did a conventional rubber membrane roof and placed special pads
down on the roof that the deck sections rested on.

I don't think any roofer would give you any warranty at all if you wanted to
put any kind of tie in that would penetrate the membrane to attach the deck
to the roof. I don't think any amount of flashing and sealant would keep
your roof leak free.

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, I have a great flat roof that would make an Awesome deck, it's got
a great view and once we put a dormer and french door in, we will be
golden. I heard tat this Old House "Floated" a deck over a roof. Does
anyone know how this works? We have to get the roof re-done at some
point, so if i'm going ot have to tie things in i'd rather do it then.
I als might make it so it is easy to access under the deck, just
incase.

Can anyone be any help?

Thanks,

Adam

Posted to alt.home.repair

My only question is what happens in a VERY strong wind / Hurricane. Is
there any chance it would blow-off, etc/ it's in a fairly sheltered
area, back side of a LARGE roof, and i think any big hurricane would
come from teh south / east which would be protected.. I coudl some how
"bolt" it to the house.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are some other issues associated with putting a deck on a roof.
Even a "flat" roof is sloped slightly so it will drain. You'll have to
allow the new deck to follow the roof slope or shim the support points
to level the deck. Don't place members on the deck that could dam or
otherwise obstruct water flow as water could build up and flood the
roof. Water weighs a lot and it is common to collaspe roofs if the
water builds up. The added weight of the deck will also make the roof
sag a little more and potentially increase the ponding effect (and
load).

Additionally, depending on where you live, a roof is not sized to take
the additional load of a deck and the added people/furniture associated
with the deck. Typically, a roof is designed for 12 to 20 pounds per
square foot additional live load (not including the existing material
load). A deck could weigh 10 psf plus the live load of 40 psf, well
you can quickly overload the roof. If the roof was designed for a
heavy snow load, then the 40 psf live load won't be there when the big
snow hits.

Lastly, high winds actually try to lift up items off a roof, especially
around the edges and corners. Not tieing down the deck could damage
the roof during high winds and cause a public hazard if it actually
clears the roof parapet.

You may want to contact a local structural engineer is address the load
capacities of your roof before preceeding.

Paul.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 9 May 2006 11:06:34 -0700, "
wrote:

Ok, I have a great flat roof that would make an Awesome deck, it's got
a great view and once we put a dormer and french door in, we will be
golden. I heard tat this Old House "Floated" a deck over a roof. Does
anyone know how this works? We have to get the roof re-done at some
point, so if i'm going ot have to tie things in i'd rather do it then.
I als might make it so it is easy to access under the deck, just
incase.

Can anyone be any help?

This is very common in NYC. I don't know how that helps you but maybe
it will.

A friend's 3-story 20 aparment building had a deck on the roof with
wooden lawn furniture, electricity, etc., and the roof door was
unlocked so that anyone could go up there. But aiui someone was
actually paying rent for the roof and others didn't use it, at least
not when the tenants wanted to. My friend never used it, but she
burned in the sun, so maybe that was why. A lot of buildings from
private homes to large apartment buildings have roof decks.

Thanks,

Adam

Leaking Corrugated Roof Over Deck [email protected] Home Repair 2 May 5th 06 11:57 PM
help - leaking flat roof boaz Home Repair 11 January 4th 06 01:20 AM
Flat roof repair Lobster UK diy 1 November 2nd 04 01:49 PM
Fibreglass flat roof Peter Balcombe UK diy 10 January 30th 04 09:56 PM
Flat roof Peter Balcombe UK diy 0 January 25th 04 12:27 PM