Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Floating a deck on a flat roof

On 9 May 2006 11:06:34 -0700, "
wrote:

Ok, I have a great flat roof that would make an Awesome deck, it's got
a great view and once we put a dormer and french door in, we will be
golden. I heard tat this Old House "Floated" a deck over a roof. Does
anyone know how this works? We have to get the roof re-done at some
point, so if i'm going ot have to tie things in i'd rather do it then.
I als might make it so it is easy to access under the deck, just
incase.

Can anyone be any help?

This is very common in NYC. I don't know how that helps you but maybe
it will.

A friend's 3-story 20 aparment building had a deck on the roof with
wooden lawn furniture, electricity, etc., and the roof door was
unlocked so that anyone could go up there. But aiui someone was
actually paying rent for the roof and others didn't use it, at least
not when the tenants wanted to. My friend never used it, but she
burned in the sun, so maybe that was why. A lot of buildings from
private homes to large apartment buildings have roof decks.

Thanks,

Adam