Posted to alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©®

Default DIYer termite extermination?

Awl--

My understanding is that here in NY, termite baits etc. are not available to
non-exterminators, but that elsewhere they are.
Anyone have knowledge on this? Mebbe in NJ, CT, PA I could pick up a kit??
Over the web?
Is cordane the method of choice? Others??

Any other methods, idears, tips, etc.? Killer ants, mebbe??

The 1920 house I'm in had a slight termite problem long ago, some minor
damage, don't *think* there is one now, but I would still like some peace of
mind.
I think I found and dug up one nest when I first got the house, 10 yrs
ago--saw "swarming".
But never again.

Hey, the house is still standing!!

The goddamm termite people who initially inspected the house did not catch
the problems that were there--nor did the asshole and very expensive home
inspector catch other problems. Useless.

TIA.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

My understanding is that here in NY, termite baits etc. are not availableto
non-exterminators, but that elsewhere they are.
Anyone have knowledge on this? Mebbe in NJ, CT, PA I could pick up a kit??
Over the web? Is cordane the method of choice? Others??

Any other methods, idears, tips, etc.? Killer ants, mebbe??
[...]

I am about to tear into a possible problem here. I hope it is just
carpenter ants. Obviously the main thing is to make sure there are no
hidden paths from the soil to the wood of the house and that this can
be easily and periodically inspected.

Posted to alt.home.repair
The Reverend Natural Light

Any chemicals strong enough to be effective will never be available to
a homeowner. The bait systems are still under patent protection and
the manufacturers (Dow) only sell to professionals. The day I can buy
a functional bait system at HD is the day Terminix can kiss my ass.

-rev

Posted to alt.home.repair

Search for a product called Termidor. Great stuff.
Available too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

Chlordane ? They banned that about 10 years ago..if I could find it, I d
buy and use it !
Then they banned the replacement, now they ve even banned Diazinon.

Soon the only bug exterminator is going to be a guy with a small hammer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
larry

Rudy wrote:

Chlordane ? They banned that about 10 years ago..if I could find it, I d
buy and use it !
Then they banned the replacement, now they ve even banned Diazinon.

Soon the only bug exterminator is going to be a guy with a small hammer.

You can still buy gasoline and motor oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©®

Does that really work??
Do you have to light it?
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"larry" wrote in message
. com...
Rudy wrote:

Chlordane ? They banned that about 10 years ago..if I could find it, I d
buy and use it !
Then they banned the replacement, now they ve even banned Diazinon.

Soon the only bug exterminator is going to be a guy with a small hammer.

You can still buy gasoline and motor oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

Gasoline..
Does that really work??
Do you have to light it?

No, after the termite spends a tough day chewing thru your framing, he stops
to light a smoke and...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Rudy wrote:
Chlordane ? They banned that about 10 years ago..if I could find it, I d
buy and use it !
Then they banned the replacement, now they ve even banned Diazinon.

Soon the only bug exterminator is going to be a guy with a small hammer.

They ban all the good stuff because clueless people pour poison on
everything that moves. I've seen so many posts from people who want to
kill everything in the yard that it is scary.

Homeowners cannot, generally, buy insecticides of the same type and/or
strength that licensed applicators can. With a little luck, the
contractor will actually know what type of bug is present and use the
right treatment. Drywood termites and subterraneans take different
treatments, except for one widely advertised but unproven product
bandied about on the newsgroup. Even if contractor doesn't cure the
problem, the deal should include insurance for that event. Any
homeowner can look at a county extension website and obtain information
about prevention and inspecting their own home - not difficult to find
them, but it takes some understanding of where they go and how they get
there. Different areas of the county have different strains that are
dominant, and the local extension is probably informed about the best
means of eradication. FYI, ants also swarm, so it isn't always
indicative of termites.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ahh good ol clordane... Now that stuff was good.
Pretty easy to make is you got the balls.
(I wouldnt recommend it, but a search in yahoo was
pretty amazing)

It was considered dangerous (causes cancer) but
used properly, killed anything that moved in the
yard.

Termite Treatment Questions [email protected] Home Ownership 4 April 21st 06 12:27 PM
Termite control dino Home Repair 2 October 20th 04 10:12 PM
Buying a house with termite damage techshare Home Repair 9 March 26th 04 04:14 AM
Termite Activity Reported in Home Email Invalid Home Ownership 5 March 21st 04 05:14 PM
termite question Krystonia5 Home Repair 8 March 17th 04 04:51 AM