Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default DIYer termite extermination?

Rudy wrote:
Chlordane ? They banned that about 10 years ago..if I could find it, I d
buy and use it !
Then they banned the replacement, now they ve even banned Diazinon.

Soon the only bug exterminator is going to be a guy with a small hammer.

They ban all the good stuff because clueless people pour poison on
everything that moves. I've seen so many posts from people who want to
kill everything in the yard that it is scary.

Homeowners cannot, generally, buy insecticides of the same type and/or
strength that licensed applicators can. With a little luck, the
contractor will actually know what type of bug is present and use the
right treatment. Drywood termites and subterraneans take different
treatments, except for one widely advertised but unproven product
bandied about on the newsgroup. Even if contractor doesn't cure the
problem, the deal should include insurance for that event. Any
homeowner can look at a county extension website and obtain information
about prevention and inspecting their own home - not difficult to find
them, but it takes some understanding of where they go and how they get
there. Different areas of the county have different strains that are
dominant, and the local extension is probably informed about the best
means of eradication. FYI, ants also swarm, so it isn't always
indicative of termites.