Posted to alt.home.repair
Buck Turgidson

Default Alternative To Shoe Polish

I stopped by the local drugstore today to pick up some shoe polish.
They want $2.99 for a tiny little can of this stuff. And the can looks
suspiciously smaller than the last one I bought. It weighs almost
nothing.

This seems like a ripoff to me. Anyone have a cheaper way to polish
shoes? I know in the big scheme of things it's not a big deal. I just
don't like feeling had.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I stopped by the local drugstore today to pick up some shoe polish.
They want $2.99 for a tiny little can of this stuff. And the can looks
suspiciously smaller than the last one I bought. It weighs almost
nothing.

This seems like a ripoff to me. Anyone have a cheaper way to polish
shoes? I know in the big scheme of things it's not a big deal. I just
don't like feeling had.

$2.99 wow what are they thinking? You could get about a min. of 25 shoe
polishing out of that can. Look on the back of the can dose it say EXXON??
What do laces cost now? I need new work boots should I get a pre approved
loan first?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well you can visit the library and perhaps they'll have one of those
chemical formulary books with recipies for lots of things as well as
shoe polish. But the cost and availability of raw materials, as well
as your time and trouble, might make that $2.99 seem a bargain.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I stopped by the local drugstore today to pick up some shoe polish.
They want $2.99 for a tiny little can of this stuff. And the can looks
suspiciously smaller than the last one I bought. It weighs almost
nothing.

This seems like a ripoff to me. Anyone have a cheaper way to polish
shoes? I know in the big scheme of things it's not a big deal. I just
don't like feeling had.

What do you think it costs to make the metal tin, the polish,
packaging, and shipping? $3 seems like a pretty good deal. Probably
last you at least a year, even with regular polishing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I stopped by the local drugstore today to pick up some shoe polish.
They want $2.99 for a tiny little can of this stuff. And the can looks
suspiciously smaller than the last one I bought. It weighs almost
nothing.

This seems like a ripoff to me. Anyone have a cheaper way to polish
shoes? I know in the big scheme of things it's not a big deal. I just
don't like feeling had.

First hold your shoe over a candle and let the soot collect on the leather,
then spit on it and wipe that off with your shirt tail.

Tip: I use the stuff (shoe polish) to polish the black plastic door handles
on my car, gets rid of the whitish look the sun does to it (car is 1993)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

Buck Turgidson wrote:
This seems like a ripoff to me. Anyone have a cheaper way to polish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_polish

Try your local dollar store for a cheaper alternative.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have used spray furniture polish in a pinch, gives glossy shine, dont
get on shoe bottom very slippery. Sorry doesnt help color...

bet shoe polish sales way off, with so many dressing down daily.

I really miss seeing women wearing dresses and high heels for work
daily.....

things have gone downhill A LOT!

I am 49 in school back then girls were never allowed to wear pants, in
fact they would be sent home with a note from the principal...

in high school some girls wore pants but many were dressed up every
day.... high heels were the norm even for pants wearers...

Posted to alt.home.repair
RakeKiller

"PipeDown" wrote in message
. net...

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I stopped by the local drugstore today to pick up some shoe polish.
They want $2.99 for a tiny little can of this stuff. And the can looks
suspiciously smaller than the last one I bought. It weighs almost
nothing

Tip: I use the stuff (shoe polish) to polish the black plastic door
handles on my car, gets rid of the whitish look the sun does to it (car is
1993)

Now THATS and idea...how long does an application usually last?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Felt tip magic marker. Works fairly well, but low gloss.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I stopped by the local drugstore today to pick up some shoe polish.
They want $2.99 for a tiny little can of this stuff. And the can
looks
suspiciously smaller than the last one I bought. It weighs almost
nothing.

This seems like a ripoff to me. Anyone have a cheaper way to polish
shoes? I know in the big scheme of things it's not a big deal. I
just
don't like feeling had.

Posted to alt.home.repair
wayne

Buck Turgidson wrote:

I stopped by the local drugstore today to pick up some shoe polish.
They want $2.99 for a tiny little can of this stuff. And the can
looks suspiciously smaller than the last one I bought. It weighs
almost nothing.

This seems like a ripoff to me. Anyone have a cheaper way to polish
shoes? I know in the big scheme of things it's not a big deal. I
just don't like feeling had.

Well do you just need to polish or fill in the color? What color are
the shoes? You could try car wax there is some that have colorants to
fix scratches? Also any leather protection product should work?

if you just want a shine? Spray lacquer or poly coating?
Posted to alt.home.repair
LurfysMa

On 20 Apr 2006 14:28:35 -0700, "
wrote:

I have used spray furniture polish in a pinch, gives glossy shine, dont
get on shoe bottom very slippery. Sorry doesnt help color...

bet shoe polish sales way off, with so many dressing down daily.

I really miss seeing women wearing dresses and high heels for work
daily.....

things have gone downhill A LOT!

I am 49 in school back then girls were never allowed to wear pants, in
fact they would be sent home with a note from the principal...

You're 49 and still in high school?

in high school some girls wore pants but many were dressed up every
day.... high heels were the norm even for pants wearers...

I thought they weren't allowed to wear pants...

--
For email, use