Old April 12th 06, 09:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair
webnba

Default Should I try to install tile in my master bathroom?

My wife really wants new tile in our master bathroom. I told her that I
would install the tile myself so we can save the money (We just got
married almost a year ago so I'm trying to prove myself in the "home
improvement dept."). The only problem is that I have absolutely no
experience installing tile.

Do you think it's possible for me to get the job done well even though I've
never done this type of job before? If so, what are the most important
things I need to know going into this job, and what tools will I need.

Thanks for thoughts!

Walt B.

Old April 12th 06, 09:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair
mikeytag

I would recommend grabbing a one of those "how to tile" booklets at your
local Home Depot. You can also check out http://www.diy.com they usually
have good tutorials.

Mike

Old April 12th 06, 09:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair
No

webnba wrote:
My wife really wants new tile in our master bathroom. I told her that I
would install the tile myself so we can save the money (We just got
married almost a year ago so I'm trying to prove myself in the "home
improvement dept."). The only problem is that I have absolutely no
experience installing tile.

Do you think it's possible for me to get the job done well even though I've
never done this type of job before? If so, what are the most important
things I need to know going into this job, and what tools will I need.

Thanks for thoughts!

Walt B.

Is there tile in there already? I'm not a fan of tile over tile due to
the changes in thickness that arise. Is there vinyl sheet floor? You
most likely will want to rip that out too. Just something to think about.

I think anyone can do a tile job although I have never been one to shy
away from almost any job. There are good books and videos on how to do
tile. Pick one up and see whats involved. Watch the shows (Hometime or
others). You will get some ideas.

Use a tile saw for cuts. The $88 one at lowes is fine for small tiles
and a small job. Plan your job around the capabilities of the saw. If
your layout requires diagonal cuts on 16" tiles then you are not going
to be able to do that with the cheap saw.

lets see - Other tools you will need.

Must haves
1- notched trowel $10 Get one for the tile you use. bigger tile =
bigger notch
2 - Sponge
3 - bucket
4 - electric screw gun (drill) You will likely need a backer board for
the tile. This is installed with screws and a driver typically.
5 - Wrench - You will need to temporarily remove the toilet. The wrench
is to remove the bolts and disconnect the water supply.

There are probably a few more - Again, get a book. Also, HomeCheapo or
that Blue store will also have classes from time to time. (Don't tell
your wife you are going to a class like that though, you should already
know how to do it grin)

Post back if you have specific questions along the way.
Old April 12th 06, 09:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair
webnba2

Thanks Mike!

I will give that a try. Does anyone else have any other thougts?

Walt B.

Old April 12th 06, 09:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman

webnba2, 4/12/2006, 4:39:46 PM,
om wrote:

Thanks Mike!

I will give that a try. Does anyone else have any other thougts?

Yeah, don't let her help you. There will be too many arguments. Tell
her to go away for the weekend to her friend's house and you will
present her with the new floor.

Old April 12th 06, 10:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Donna

"webnba2" [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected] ve.com...
Thanks Mike!

I will give that a try. Does anyone else have any other thougts?

Our local home depot has free hands-on weekend classes to learn to DIY.
Check with yours and see when (if?) they're doing a tile workshop. That's
what I would do. Although only you know your wife, I would suggest,
contrary to the other suggestions you have received, that you see if she
wants to take the class with you, and you can both learn at the same time.
DH and I have a great time doing things like this.

Donna

Old April 12th 06, 10:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I just finished tiling my bath, and it came out pretty well. Plan on
spending a lot of time and wading through a great deal of confusion.
Get used to the fact that when the job is complete, you will always see
your own numerous flaws even when no one else claims to.

Take your time, do lots of research, and ask lots of questions in this
group. There are some very smart people here.

I can't wait to do my next tile job. I've learned a lot of lessons
the hard way.

BTW, what is the group's opinion on mastic vs. thin-set and
cement/fiber board vs. greenwall for dry tile walls?

Old April 13th 06, 12:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair
webnba

WOW! Thanks so much everyone for all of the great information. It seems
like if I spend some more time researching "how to", pay attention to the
details, and take my time, I should be able to do a great job installing
tile in our master bathroom.

Now, all I have to do is get this job done really well so my wife doesn't
say, ...."maybe you should call my Dad, or ask our neighbor..." I hate
that

Thanks again!

Walt B.

Old April 13th 06, 12:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy,

I believe a demolition hammer (power tool such as:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013)
would do the job nicely.

I used a hammer and chisel on my floor which was tile in a 3 inch
mortar bed. Slow and tedious. Also pop the nails heads on the ceiling
below. I removed both the tile and mortor.

If the floor is in good shape and level, I would seriously consider
tiling over it. If you remove the current floor, there is no guarantee
that the sub-floor is level (mine wasn't). You wil also need to lay
down CBU and possible plywood to gain stiffness and height assuming the
tile was set in a mortor bed. In my second bathroom. I tiled over it
and raise my door saddle 1/2". Turn out nice and level without the work
and resulting tile to dispose of. Just use a high quality thinest.

Also go to www.johnbridge.com which has a great forum for tile work.

Old April 13th 06, 02:32 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Pat

Here is a great site for tile questions
http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php