Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

lls8000

Default underlayment for tile install

I'm planning to tile a kitchen and dining room area, it's about 600
sq'. There is currently a 1/4" plywood underlayment over particle
board. What type of mortar and grout is best to lay over plywood?
I am not willing to replace the plywood with a cement board.
I've done multiple bathroom tile jobs, but this area is much larger,
I'm more concerned about the base.
Thanks, lls8000

Charles Spitzer

"lls8000" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm planning to tile a kitchen and dining room area, it's about 600
sq'. There is currently a 1/4" plywood underlayment over particle
board. What type of mortar and grout is best to lay over plywood?
I am not willing to replace the plywood with a cement board.
I've done multiple bathroom tile jobs, but this area is much larger,
I'm more concerned about the base.
Thanks, lls8000

what was there before? do you know how much the floor flexes? if not, then
you can't tell if it's stable enough to tile on.

lls8000

There is currently vinyl on the floor.

Donna

"lls8000" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm planning to tile a kitchen and dining room area, it's about 600
sq'. There is currently a 1/4" plywood underlayment over particle
board. What type of mortar and grout is best to lay over plywood?
I am not willing to replace the plywood with a cement board.
I've done multiple bathroom tile jobs, but this area is much larger,
I'm more concerned about the base.

If the problem is that you're afraid the tile will pop from the floor
flexing, the guys who just fixed that problem in my kitchen used a product
called (and here I'm having to spell it phonetically, because I didn't see
the packaging) "deetra". They seem to feel that it is very good at allowing
a full quarter inch of flex without the tiles popping.

HTH,

Donna

G Henslee

lls8000 wrote:
I'm planning to tile a kitchen and dining room area, it's about 600
sq'. There is currently a 1/4" plywood underlayment over particle
board.

And what are those installed over? You don't give enough specifics to
warrant precise advivce. fwiw, neither of those are acceptable
substrates for ceramic tile.

What type of mortar and grout is best to lay over plywood?
I am not willing to replace the plywood with a cement board.
I've done multiple bathroom tile jobs, but this area is much larger,
I'm more concerned about the base.
Thanks, lls8000

I recommend you call a pro and get first hand advice and have them
perform the work.