Vinnie Boombotts

Default Install Tile over plywood - how Do I?

I am remodeling my bathroom in my 100 year old house. I removed the old
tile and degraded particle board sub-floor that was installed by the last
homeowner. (Can't believe it lasted over 25 years)

I have installed 1/2" plywood over the existing 3/4" flooring. I would like
to pour a thin layer of self-leveling cement, because the entire floor is
tilting to one side.

How can I do this? I have purchased metal lathe and the cement.
Should I install a membrane under the cement? What do I use to fasten the
lathe? Is there a better way to do this?

I am not using cement board because it would raise the floor greater than I
would like, and cause problems with my steam radiator.

Thank you, answers are greatly appreciated.

calhoun

"Vinnie Boombotts" wrote in message
I am remodeling my bathroom in my 100 year old house. I removed the old
tile and degraded particle board sub-floor that was installed by the last
homeowner. (Can't believe it lasted over 25 years)

I have installed 1/2" plywood over the existing 3/4" flooring. I would
like
to pour a thin layer of self-leveling cement, because the entire floor is
tilting to one side.

How can I do this? I have purchased metal lathe and the cement.
Should I install a membrane under the cement? What do I use to fasten the
lathe? Is there a better way to do this?

I am not using cement board because it would raise the floor greater than
would like, and cause problems with my steam radiator.

Thank you, answers are greatly appreciated.

Return the metal lath and cement it is going to be thicker than cement
board. (You do know you can get 1/4" thick cement board).
If floor is less than 1/2" off than just apply more thinset to the low side
and feather to nothing when installing the cement board.
If less than 1" mix up some floor leveler. You mix it thin and just pour it
on, it flows level. It sets up quick, than do the above step when installing
the cement board.

G Henslee

calhoun wrote:

If floor is less than 1/2" off than just apply more thinset to the low side
and feather to nothing when installing the cement board.

And you've done this, right?
calhoun

Yes,
Works great. If you don't have a good "eye" use a length of 2x on top of the
cement board and tap the board level into the thinset.

"G Henslee" wrote in message
calhoun wrote:

If floor is less than 1/2" off than just apply more thinset to the low
side and feather to nothing when installing the cement board.

And you've done this, right?

Vinnie Boombotts

Thank you for the advice. The floor is off almost 1".

I am using 1/2 cement board for the lowest side and mesh and floor-leveler
for the high side. The do not sell 1/4 board at my Home Depot. I can use
leveler from the base of the tub and feather to the cement board.
The mesh is a little over 1/8" high.

Thanx again.