Vinnie Boombotts

Default Cement Board -Where to install in bathroom?

I just ripped out everything from an outdated bathroom, tile walls, tile
floor and tile shower.
I discovered severe water damage to the plaster - lathe and sheetrock in the
shower area. I would like to repair the damage and install new tile.

Where does cement board go in a bathroom? If shower, how high? Should I
install cement board on the floor before installing tile? Would plywood and
metal lathe work just fine on the floor?

Thank you.

Rudy

Where does cement board go in a bathroom? If shower, how high?

As high as the tile. Ours is tiled right to the top of the walls and ceiling
so its cement board, all round.
Our bath has sheetrock walls, textured and painted where there isn't any
water.

Should I install cement board on the floor before installing tile?
Would plywood and
metal lathe work just fine on the floor?

No. What is the floor right now ..Ply ? How thick ? Is it in good shape ?

If so, I might add a layer of 1/2" ply screwed and glued to the existing
floor and tile over that ..unless you expect a lot of water on the floor.
Is the "floor" of the shower a "pan" or tile or ??

Vinnie Boombotts

Thank you for your response.

The sub-floor I removed was particle board. You can imagine how bad it was
after years of water damage. The floor tiles came up with no effort.
Under that is typical thick boards used in old houses.

I guess 1 " plywood would do the trick.

Thanx

On 7/3/05 1:48 AM, in article 0%Kxe.1859128$6l.901982@pd7tw2no, "Rudy"
wrote:

Where does cement board go in a bathroom? If shower, how high?

As high as the tile. Ours is tiled right to the top of the walls and ceiling
so its cement board, all round.
Our bath has sheetrock walls, textured and painted where there isn't any
water.

Should I install cement board on the floor before installing tile?
Would plywood and
metal lathe work just fine on the floor?

No. What is the floor right now ..Ply ? How thick ? Is it in good shape ?

If so, I might add a layer of 1/2" ply screwed and glued to the existing
floor and tile over that ..unless you expect a lot of water on the floor.
Is the "floor" of the shower a "pan" or tile or ??

G Henslee

Vinnie Boombotts wrote:
Thank you for your response.

The sub-floor I removed was particle board. You can imagine how bad it was
after years of water damage. The floor tiles came up with no effort.
Under that is typical thick boards used in old houses.

I guess 1 " plywood would do the trick.

Thanx

Particle board substrate eh?

do a google groups search for posts from myself and one or two other
knowledgable folks like RicoJour, Dan C, Charles Spitzer, dadiOH and a
few others, regarding this and other tile issues.

And do not under any circumstances take advice from Rudy. He advocates
using for a substrate the very crap (particle board) you're removing.
Rudy's nothing more than an unhappy homeowner whose builder screwed him
on his tile installation (which he ignorantly and vehemently defends).
In order to nurse his wounds he attempts to give tile advice here.

Go figure...
G Henslee

Vinnie Boombotts wrote:
I just ripped out everything from an outdated bathroom, tile walls, tile
floor and tile shower.
I discovered severe water damage to the plaster - lathe and sheetrock in the
shower area. I would like to repair the damage and install new tile.

Where does cement board go in a bathroom?

Walls in shower and tubs. As a floor substrate.

If shower, how high? Should I
install cement board on the floor before installing tile?

Yes. Keeping a properly built subfloor in mind, I recommend HardiBacker.
Their 1/4" product affords greater density than the 1/2" cementious board.

Would plywood and
metal lathe work just fine on the floor?

In and of itself, no. A plywood subfloor that incorporates a 1" mortar
bed, yes.

Rudy

No, If you would READ the post, it says the GC around here advocates using
particle board over the sub floor.
I said I nixed that and used PLYWOOD over the subfloor. I am a satisfied
homeowner BTW but a "know it all" like you couldn't comprehend that.

And do not under any circumstances take advice from Rudy. He advocates
using for a substrate the very crap (particle board) you're removing.
Rudy's nothing more than an unhappy homeowner whose builder screwed him on
his tile installation (which he ignorantly and vehemently defends). In
order to nurse his wounds he attempts to give tile advice here.

Go figure...

Rudy

And do not under any circumstances take advice from Rudy. He advocates
using for a substrate the very crap (particle board) you're removing.

Since G Henslee is such a Newsgroup Wizard, I suppose it should be an easy
task for him to pull the quote/post..
Where I advocated using "particle board" and to repost it here.

The one in the thread I'm reading says PLYWOOD

G Henslee

Rudy wrote:
And do not under any circumstances take advice from Rudy. He advocates
using for a substrate the very crap (particle board) you're removing.

Since G Henslee is such a Newsgroup Wizard, I suppose it should be an easy
task for him to pull the quote/post..
Where I advocated using "particle board" and to repost it here.

The one in the thread I'm reading says PLYWOOD

Blah ,blah, blah. I know what you said. Your 'upgarde' to 3/8" ply is
is no better than the other crap. Neither are accceptable by any trade
or professional standards.

Your 'General' with his 500K roach motels and his 3/8" particle board
substrates is screwed and he screwed you. You hould have used 1/4"
Hardi. Have a meeting with your neighbors who got screwed as well and
consult an attorney when the grout starts cracking. Quit bothering
people with inferior advice.
Rudy

Blah ,blah, blah. I know what you said. Your 'upgarde' to 3/8" ply is is
no better than the other crap. Neither are accceptable by any trade or
professional standards.

This tile setter has done over 30 homes in the neighborhood, using the two
substrates previously mentioned.
I've asked several of the homeowners if they have had any grout cracking and
none have had any problems
Someof these homes are over 5 years old.

So when it comes to a choice of "what works" VS your "trade standards"
whining, I'll take what works,
but by all means, keep up your 'policing' of the newsgroup, Chief

Quit bothering people with your inferior advice

JAWOHL ! Oberleutnant.. The MAN has spoken !

BTW, how many tile floors have you installed in the last 5 years ?

500K roach motels..

Now theres an intelligent retort. Do you really want to get into a "my house
is nicer than your house" and "my Dad can beat up your Dad"
For someone that purports to know so much about everything, it actually
seems that your communications skills could use some work. After you pass
Communications 101, maybe you should sign up for a course in ASP 101 (anal
sand pounding)- but then you'd already know all about that too wouldn't you.

G Henslee

Rudy bleated loudly:

This tile setter has done over 30 homes in the neighborhood, using the two
substrates previously mentioned.
I've asked several of the homeowners if they have had any grout cracking and
none have had any problems
Someof these homes are over 5 years old.

30 homes??? When I had crewS we never got out of bed for less than 300
- 500 homes a year. Low end tracts to high end developments, not to
mention commercial projects.

My credentials don't mean **** to anyone in usenet, 'cept me. But at
least I have some. You're just an old squawking fool with your 3/8"
plywood and particle board substrates that will fail eventually.

So when it comes to a choice of "what works" VS your "trade standards"
whining, I'll take what works,

You took what the crook gave you.

Get this: ANSI A108/A118/A136-1999 American National Standard
Specifications for the Installation of Ceramic Tile

Oh wait, (Shaw Residential Internet) Hey no wonder you don't GET IT.
You're a Canuck! Nevermind, the aforementioned publication won't apply.
Your builder never had any standards to begin with anyway. You don't
either or you wouldn't insist on giving inferior advice to the unassuming.

- end of subject