Posted to alt.home.repair
ckyook

Default Ceiling Wiring for Recessed Lights

Hi, I'd like to tackle installing 6 recessed lights onto my kitchen
ceiling. There is already a light fixture from which I will use to
draw my power and I will be using retrofit/remodelling light kits. My
question/fear is about running the wire across the ceiling joists. As
I will have to cross several joists to run 2 parallel rows of lights (3
on each row), I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on running
the wire while minimizing cuts to the drywalled ceilings. Is cutting
holes so I can drill the wiring through each joist inevitable? or are
there any special tools/techniques others are familiar with.

BTW, I can't go in from the floor above since it is finished--and my
skill level is a novice as a first time homeowner. Thank you in
advance. Greatly appreciate any insights or experiences.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HotRod

Since this sounds like you first DIY project I'll actually give you some
drywall advice instead, instead of trying to fish the electrical wire
everwhere just cut a 1 foot wide strip the length of the kitchen out of the
drywall. TRUST ME it's just as easy or easier to patch one big hole as itis
to fix several smaller holes. If you cut the hole right down the centre it
should leave room to run each wire down the sides.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

First, you want to be sure the circuit you're planning to use has enough
capacity for what you're going to install. Once you've cut out your holes
for the recessed fixtures, you may be able to minimize the sheetrock cuts by
using a four foot extension with a spade bit, working through the recessed
holes, but be careful not to drill through the floor up above, not to
mention wires and pipes etc.

"ckyook" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I'd like to tackle installing 6 recessed lights onto my kitchen
ceiling. There is already a light fixture from which I will use to
draw my power and I will be using retrofit/remodelling light kits. My
question/fear is about running the wire across the ceiling joists. As
I will have to cross several joists to run 2 parallel rows of lights (3
on each row), I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on running
the wire while minimizing cuts to the drywalled ceilings. Is cutting
holes so I can drill the wiring through each joist inevitable? or are
there any special tools/techniques others are familiar with.

BTW, I can't go in from the floor above since it is finished--and my
skill level is a novice as a first time homeowner. Thank you in
advance. Greatly appreciate any insights or experiences.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"HotRod" wrote in message
Since this sounds like you first DIY project I'll actually give you some
drywall advice instead, instead of trying to fish the electrical wire
everwhere just cut a 1 foot wide strip the length of the kitchen out of
the drywall. TRUST ME it's just as easy or easier to patch one big hole as
itis to fix several smaller holes. If you cut the hole right down the
centre it should leave room to run each wire down the sides.

I could go either way on that. I used a large hole saw that I also used to
make the cutouts for the recessed lights. I saved the circular cut out
pieces as they were already textured correctly. After the first hole, I was
able to predict where the remaining joists were.

When it came time to patch these access holes, I glued a flat piece of wood
(a door shim) inside and across the hole. When that glue dried, I glued and
screwed the circle of drywall back into the hole and patched with mud and
popcorn later.

I had layers of blown in insulation, so a larger hole would have made a much
larger mess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

there are electric auger bits for these applications 3 feet or longer
with a loop on the business end of the bit, to attach and pull wire
back if needed.,

Posted to alt.home.repair
mikeytag

I agree with HotRod that the easiest solution may be to cut one big long
strip. Once you patch drywall once you realize that its not too difficult.
I have an auger bit that hallerb is talking about. I think I got it from
Home Depot for around $15. They definitely come in handy for applications
like these as it is fairly easy to drill through all the beams you need to
go through. Personally I would vote for the drwall strip because it is so
much easier to actually see what you are doing. Do you have attic access?

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
ckyook

wow, thanks to everyone for the great advice. I hadn't thought of
cutting a large strip of drywall in the middle--but that makes a lot of
sense. I will also look into the auger bits--maybe I'll have to go
with a combination of both ideas. Really appreciate it!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to ckyook :
wow, thanks to everyone for the great advice. I hadn't thought of
cutting a large strip of drywall in the middle--but that makes a lot of
sense. I will also look into the auger bits--maybe I'll have to go
with a combination of both ideas. Really appreciate it!

One thing to check is whether the drywall is directly fastened to the joists
or is suspended on lathe. If the latter, you won't have to drill any joists.

Cutting a slot does indeed make things easy. Except... if the ceiling
is textured, you have to redo the whole ceiling.

If the ceiling is on lathe and you can arrange the pot fixture holes
conveniently (eg: on a grid), you won't have to tear anything out.
A fish tape will be all you need.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est