Posted to alt.home.repair
caledon

Default question regarding wiring lights....

I am putting two antique very simple lights onto the chimney surface.
There were lights there previously, when the fellow did the drywalling
he took them off.

Is there a specific way that the wire should be joined? In the wall I
see one white and one black, both are capped. The light fixture itself,
has two wires, but both the same color. ..So..does it matter how I
connect the wires since there isn't any differentiation on the fixture?

thanks
janet

Posted to alt.home.repair

if you have a meter or can determine which of the two white wires feed
the center of the light socket for a standard bulb then connect the
black wire to that center feeding conductor.

that way the hot side isnt exposed as much to your fingers say when you
are screwing in a bulb

Posted to alt.home.repair
JGolan

There should be a series of ridges on one of the wires, that is the hot
which is connected to the black wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair
caledon

I will check that out. I don't think there was any difference between
the two wires. Will double check. Thanks
janet

JGolan wrote:
There should be a series of ridges on one of the wires, that is the hot
which is connected to the black wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

JGolan wrote:

There should be a series of ridges on one of the wires, that is the hot
which is connected to the black wire.

Looking for ridges is a good idea.
But I believe the ridges are the "identified conductor" which is the
neutral which is white.

bud--

FCU wiring question Geronimo W. Christ Esq UK diy 20 March 20th 06 10:58 AM
Basic Wiring Question - Duplex Outlet Drew Home Ownership 3 April 11th 05 12:20 AM
another wiring question JK Home Repair 3 April 6th 05 02:25 AM
Mains Halogen Lights - Loft Insulation Safety Question john UK diy 3 February 16th 04 12:47 PM
Wiring question - interior lighting - PIR-activated Allen UK diy 9 December 11th 03 09:59 PM