Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Drew

Default Basic Wiring Question - Duplex Outlet

I'm no electrician, so, if there's no easy answer to this, I'm calling
a pro. I'm trying to fix an electrical outlet in my house. Seems like
a wiring problem, though I initially suspected the outlet.

Measured voltages:
Black (hot) vs. ground = 120VAC
White (neutral) vs. ground = 0VAC
(so far, so good, eh?)
Black vs. white = 0VAC
(should be 120VAC, right?)

Any idea what would cause this other than wiring problem? All other
devices on this circuit work.

Thanks.

Rich Greenberg

In article .com,
Drew wrote:
I'm no electrician, so, if there's no easy answer to this, I'm calling
a pro. I'm trying to fix an electrical outlet in my house. Seems like
a wiring problem, though I initially suspected the outlet.

Measured voltages:
Black (hot) vs. ground = 120VAC
White (neutral) vs. ground = 0VAC
(so far, so good, eh?)
Black vs. white = 0VAC
(should be 120VAC, right?)

Any idea what would cause this other than wiring problem? All other
devices on this circuit work.

Somewhere between this outlet and the other end of the white wire is an
open. Check the previous outlet in the chain.

Drew

Thanks for your helpful and prompt reply.

When you say 'an open', I assume this could also mean a switch.

Rich Greenberg

In article om,
Drew wrote:
Thanks for your helpful and prompt reply.

When you say 'an open', I assume this could also mean a switch.

It could be, but if so, the switch is miswired. The switch SHOULD be
in the black wire.

The first place I would look is the previous outlet in the chain. It
should have 2 white wires on it, and one may be broken or have come off
the outlet.