Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Ceiling Wiring for Recessed Lights

First, you want to be sure the circuit you're planning to use has enough
capacity for what you're going to install. Once you've cut out your holes
for the recessed fixtures, you may be able to minimize the sheetrock cuts by
using a four foot extension with a spade bit, working through the recessed
holes, but be careful not to drill through the floor up above, not to
mention wires and pipes etc.

"ckyook" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I'd like to tackle installing 6 recessed lights onto my kitchen
ceiling. There is already a light fixture from which I will use to
draw my power and I will be using retrofit/remodelling light kits. My
question/fear is about running the wire across the ceiling joists. As
I will have to cross several joists to run 2 parallel rows of lights (3
on each row), I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on running
the wire while minimizing cuts to the drywalled ceilings. Is cutting
holes so I can drill the wiring through each joist inevitable? or are
there any special tools/techniques others are familiar with.

BTW, I can't go in from the floor above since it is finished--and my
skill level is a novice as a first time homeowner. Thank you in
advance. Greatly appreciate any insights or experiences.