Posted to alt.home.repair
homeguy

Default Oil Burner Questions

I have a Beckett head on a Bock Hot water heater. The heater was
shutting off and cavitating (pulsating). I changed the pump and nozzle
and the pulsating went away. However, the burner still shuts off and
trips the breaker on the controls. I've replaced the light sensor,
transformer, controls and checked the gap on the electrodes.
Everything looked fine. I'm wondering if the aquastat could be causing
the burner not to light at times. When I press the breaker button the
burner heats the ho****er to temp. Then for some reason, over night it
pops the breaker on the control. ALso, the boiler is on the same line
and it rund and shuts off fine. Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

The reset is not a breaker. If you push it and the burner starts, it means
the aquastat is already in the closed position. There are several reasons
why the primary control may be opening, all of which are best determined by
someone with proper testing equipment

"homeguy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Beckett head on a Bock Hot water heater. The heater was
shutting off and cavitating (pulsating). I changed the pump and nozzle
and the pulsating went away. However, the burner still shuts off and
trips the breaker on the controls. I've replaced the light sensor,
transformer, controls and checked the gap on the electrodes.
Everything looked fine. I'm wondering if the aquastat could be causing
the burner not to light at times. When I press the breaker button the
burner heats the ho****er to temp. Then for some reason, over night it
pops the breaker on the control. ALso, the boiler is on the same line
and it rund and shuts off fine. Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You may have air in the oil line. Check all connections to determine
if they are tight. Your burner and controls are doing waht they are
designed to do. If you do not find any problems with the connections
then you will need to call a qualified oil burner tech. to solve your
problem.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
homeguy

I guess I could have an air leak. The strange thing is that I have one
oil line coming in and then it's split between the furnace and hot
water heater with check valves. I'll check my connections. I was told
that the motor could be hitting a flat spot. There isn't much else it
could be. The only things not changed are the electrodes (look good)
motor and aquastat. So I giess it can only be these things or air in
the lines. But if there was air in the line wouldn't it sputter when I
press the control button or not start at all? Are there any test I can
do?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

Gee,

I thought we had to go over to alt.hvac to see those kind of

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:38:12 GMT, Bubba ReMoVe
wrote:

On 3 Apr 2006 04:09:36 -0700, "homeguy" wrote:

I have a Beckett head on a Bock Hot water heater. The heater was
shutting off and cavitating (pulsating). I changed the pump and nozzle
and the pulsating went away. However, the burner still shuts off and
trips the breaker on the controls. I've replaced the light sensor,
transformer, controls and checked the gap on the electrodes.
Everything looked fine. I'm wondering if the aquastat could be causing
the burner not to light at times. When I press the breaker button the
burner heats the ho****er to temp. Then for some reason, over night it
pops the breaker on the control. ALso, the boiler is on the same line
and it rund and shuts off fine. Any suggestions?

You haven't quite replaced enough parts yet. Keep trying. Once you
change them all, you'll find out that you still don't have a freaking
clue on proper combustion of an oil burner. Hopefully, we wont read
about you in the obituaries.
Bubba

Humm,
Perhaps I should discuss the time when I was out of the country on a
job, my furnace shut down and a relative called a pro to service it?
Two days after the "pro" serviced it, the burner puffed back so hard
it blew the stack pipe off, filling the house with enough soot to
cause an $18K insurance claim?

Or the time when I visited a neighbor hours after a pro serviced her
burner, only to find fuel oil spraying all over her basement floor?

Or the time techs from my local gas company replaced the delayed start
main gas valve on a furnace in one of my rental houses with an instant
start value? The flame roll out was indeed impressive.

etc, etc, etc

I've been installing and servicing heating equipment in my properties
for 31 years and have yet to endanger anyone.

My point is that are poor professional techs and good amateurs and
vice versa. Automatically giving someone such useless advise as the
above is pointless.

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ted Mittelstaedt

wrote:

[...]

We all agree with this.

Automatically giving someone such useless advise as the
above is pointless.

It is not useless advice. The automotice newsgroups are full of
people shotgunning also, and it's no more right there than here.

Have you even tried putting an ammeter on this to measure
current draw on this circuit? Or any other instrumentation whatsoever?

Is the oil tank underground? If so has it been checked for the presense
of water in the oil?

Ted

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 23:24:12 GMT, Bubba ReMoVe
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

All you have explained is that you and your neighbor dont shop for a
professionally trained licensed HVAC tech too well.
As far as your local gas company goes, Id just as soon have hired my
12 yr old neighbor.
Would you let "just anyone" baby sit your newborn and sibling
children? Of course not. You would check many many references before
hiring out that task to such precious "cargo".
So WHY OH WHY would you not do the same amount of investigating into
searching for a professional HVAC company? You are trusting someone
with your life and the lifes of those in your home to someone that can
burn your house down or fill your house with soot and carbon monoxide
in a very very short time.
Next time, do your homework a little better. Its obvious that you and
your neighbor didnt.
Bubba

Humm, another trite useless answer...
Oh well, I shouldn't expect more...

BTW, the guys mentioned above were licensed with good references, at
least in terms of how much can be checked out on a weekend with no
heat.

I've had so many bad experiences that I ALWAYS do my own work unless
I'm out of town and a tenant has no heat or it's a weekend and I can't
get a part. In any event, under no heat conditions in New England, one
can not spend a day or two checking references, especially if the
tenant has complained to housing code enforcement. Heat has to be
restored NOW!

I just made one exception because it was a warranty job. This past
week I had a well known company replace a boiler core this past week.
I've used them several times with good results.
And yes, they have many references.

This time their techs broke a sump pump adjacent to the boiler,
installed the safety relief valve drain tube so that it dumps its
output on TOP of the boiler and failed to reinstall the draft diverter
in the smoke pipe (it was left hanging ajar on one screw).
Those were the mistakes I found in the first 3 minutes of my follow up
inspection.

Maybe you get better help in your area?

Pardon my cynicism but it's based upon unfortunate experience.

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

Sorry Doug but you are explaining simple 3rd grade mistakes. This is
proof positive that you are doing nothing more than picking the
biggest yellow page ad or just plain calling until you find the first
or cheapest hack.
Spend time now, while you dont need a hvac guy to look for one that is
good. Its just like any other blue collar or professional industry.
There is good and there is bad.
You wouldnt keep going to the same doctor for a cold if each time you
showed up he wants to stick his thumb up your ass, would you?
Bubba

Bubba,

let me ask you something as a pro..

which kind of customer would you rather deal with...

they guy with a heat problem that doesn't know anything about
anything...

or they guy that understands how a furnace works and has a pretty good
idea about what the problem is but doesn't have the experience or
parts or tools to fix it himself?

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
aka-SBM

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Jumping in here, but as a pro, either is fine.

The one that has no clue, a REAL tech with integrity can come in, fix it,
EXPLAIN things, and unless hes one of those, "I dont care, make it work"
types, he will have a better understanding.

The one that has half a clue will be the one that gives you the most crap.
he knows half of what is needed and tells you what is wrong with it when you
get there.
Those, you can TRY to explain it all to, but if they start with the
instructions, then you just tell them that you will do it their way,
(depending on that way, and what is being done of course) and if it does not
work, then they get to pay for the parts and time that was wasted.
Works well.

Those that know, normally will sit back and watch. When you are done, they
will pay you gladly, and without question. They also tend to refer you to
more people, since they actually know why you set the oil burner up with
$2800 in tools, or more.