Posted to alt.home.repair
nfalconer

Default toilet replacement question

I had my bathroom tiled. The guy was also nice enough to dispose of all my
old stuff including the toilet. What's left where the toilet once was is
the hole and a simple black flange that lips around the opening by about 1
inch. Its all black and i see no screws or bolts holding it in place. The
new flange I have is the same, but it has an additional metal ring
surrounding the lip where I can screw it down.

Was this old flange glued or am I not seeing the screws (it does have some
gunk around it, no wax though). Do I need to get in there and pry it out
with a screwdriver? I don't see how the original flange was keeping the
toilet in place, but maybe the worker removed a portion of it that I didn't
see.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , "nfalconer" wrote:
I had my bathroom tiled. The guy was also nice enough to dispose of all my
old stuff including the toilet. What's left where the toilet once was is
the hole and a simple black flange that lips around the opening by about 1
inch. Its all black and i see no screws or bolts holding it in place. The
new flange I have is the same, but it has an additional metal ring
surrounding the lip where I can screw it down.

Was this old flange glued or am I not seeing the screws (it does have some
gunk around it, no wax though). Do I need to get in there and pry it out
with a screwdriver? I don't see how the original flange was keeping the
toilet in place, but maybe the worker removed a portion of it that I didn't
see.

Why do you need to put in a new floor flange? Is there some reason you can't
mount your new toilet to the old floor flange?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
nfalconer

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...
In article , "nfalconer"
wrote:
[...]

Well there's not even a place on the old flange for bolting the toilet into
place.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

nfalconer wrote:
I had my bathroom tiled. The guy was also nice enough to dispose of all my
old stuff including the toilet. What's left where the toilet once was is
the hole and a simple black flange that lips around the opening by about 1
inch. Its all black and i see no screws or bolts holding it in place. The
new flange I have is the same, but it has an additional metal ring
surrounding the lip where I can screw it down.

Was this old flange glued or am I not seeing the screws (it does have some
gunk around it, no wax though). Do I need to get in there and pry it out
with a screwdriver? I don't see how the original flange was keeping the
toilet in place, but maybe the worker removed a portion of it that I didn't
see.

What you are looking at may not BE the flange.
The flange could have rotted away eons ago and
what you see is how it was "repaired".

I'm not there to see in person, but it's possible
that there is the remnant of a lead bend or cast iron
closet connection in the floor.

Dig out the black plastic and see if you can determine
what there is. If you have access below, you'll learn more.
Maybe take pics.

I advise you to tread very carefully and slowly.
Whatever repair is made to this situation has to
stand the test of time or you will have a leak
and will be re-doing your nice floor.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , "nfalconer" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "nfalconer"
wrote:
[...]

In that case, how was the old toilet fastened down?

Perhaps you misunderstand how a toilet is fastened to a floor flange. Here's
how it works: flange bolts are inserted, head *down*, into the slots in the
flange, and rotated 90 degrees so that the head of the bolt can't come back
up. The toilet (with wax ring in place) is then lowered over the bolts.
Finally, nuts and washers are applied to the ends of the bolts to snug the
toilet down against the flange.

--
Regards,

OT - Replacement Window Question Rob McConachie Woodworking 4 October 19th 05 06:01 PM
Toilet wax ring replacement JA Home Repair 13 May 26th 05 12:21 PM
Toilet Question Ollie UK diy 12 April 21st 05 07:17 PM
Question about New Kohler Toilet ... Linda W. Home Repair 11 March 10th 04 08:09 PM
Replacement Toilet BigWallop UK diy 3 July 16th 03 02:05 PM