Rob McConachie

Default OT - Replacement Window Question

Greetings!!

I know that this is off topic but I figured that people who build things
with their hands would have some ideas on installation replacement windows
in my house.

I just got a quote from Anderson windows (and about had a stroke). Further
research indicates that it is possible that I could do a replacement myself.

But, I dont know where to buy replacement windows. Are they at Lowes and
HD? Do I order them? How do I get them to fit my openings?

I am overwhelmed by sheer number of choices (analysis paralysis) and any
help you could offer me would greatly help (and possibly save me money that
I could spend in my shop on new tools!!).

Thanks again.

Rob

You can get or order windows through any of the building supply stores.

You need the rough opening dimensions if you are replacing the whole
thing.

If your opening is not a stock size the windows are made to order.

Fitting the new windows can involve removing some of the siding in
order to get the new window properly seated.

Be very careful removing the old window so you don't have a lot of
interior repair work.

no(SPAM)vasys

Rob McConachie wrote:
Greetings!!

I know that this is off topic but I figured that people who build things
with their hands would have some ideas on installation replacement windows
in my house.

I just got a quote from Anderson windows (and about had a stroke). Further
research indicates that it is possible that I could do a replacement myself.

But, I dont know where to buy replacement windows. Are they at Lowes and
HD? Do I order them? How do I get them to fit my openings?

I am overwhelmed by sheer number of choices (analysis paralysis) and any
help you could offer me would greatly help (and possibly save me money that
I could spend in my shop on new tools!!).

Thanks again.

Rob

This may help:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...RepWindow.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
leonard

remember there is a reason for the price.I made the mistake of buying
standard vinyl windows from my local home center,(mind you there is nothing
wrong with them they are as designed low e glass with double panes high
efficacy ect) they're installed correctly. THEY ARE DRAFTY, ALLOW NOISE THRU
EASILY,AND CAN BECOME STIFF TO OPEN. but they kept the rain,snow out. I wish
I had spent the money for the better windows.

Len

Jonathan W.

Rob McConachie wrote:
Greetings!!

I know that this is off topic but I figured that people who build things
with their hands would have some ideas on installation replacement windows
in my house.

I just got a quote from Anderson windows (and about had a stroke). Further
research indicates that it is possible that I could do a replacement myself.

But, I dont know where to buy replacement windows. Are they at Lowes and
HD? Do I order them? How do I get them to fit my openings?

I am overwhelmed by sheer number of choices (analysis paralysis) and any
help you could offer me would greatly help (and possibly save me money that
I could spend in my shop on new tools!!).

Thanks again.

Rob

You could use "replacement" sash, instead of replacing the whole window,
if the existing window frames are in good condition. Much less wear and
tear on the installation.

In general, you remove the sashes) (the part of the window that slide
upand down) and remove the center stop between the sashes. The
replacement units, which have been built to order to match *exactly* the
opening in question, usually fit in snugly, the front edge up against
the stop that the upper sash used to slide against.

These systems come in several breakdowns as well. Some have loose side
pieces, which are fit in with headers and a sill, all 4 pieces
individually fitted and fastened, then there is enough spring type
tension to slide the sash into the new tracks, or:

Some are completely assembled, the entire rectangle fits into the inside
of the original window. It is fairly important to know that your house
is reasonable straight and level if you go that route.

Harvey Industries has an assortment of replacement sash, but you need to
show you are a "contractor" to buy from them. Open a checking account
in a DBA name will do it.

If you have an old house with a lot of ornamental trim around the
windows, it can be a nightmare to retrofit a new installation window
like Anderson, as you are disturbing finished surfaces on both the
inside and outside of the house.

Good luck,

Jonathan

--
I am building my daughter an Argie 10 sailing dinghy, check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr