Ollie

Default Toilet Question

This question might sound bizarre but i need to ask it.

We had our bathroom suite replaced about 2 years ago (the old one was
falling apart so we purchased a fairly cheap one from a local diy store).
The flush in the old toilet was fine, no problem. But the new one is really
starting to get on my nerves. It basically won't flush toilet paper. It
takes about 4 flushes to get rid of it. The flush seems really weak. Excuse
my stupidity because im not very good at DIY but is there anything I can do
about this ? Like i said, the old one was totally fine so it must be
something with the new toilet.

Thank you !

Alan

In message , Ollie
wrote
This question might sound bizarre but i need to ask it.

We had our bathroom suite replaced about 2 years ago (the old one was
falling apart so we purchased a fairly cheap one from a local diy store).
The flush in the old toilet was fine, no problem. But the new one is really
starting to get on my nerves. It basically won't flush toilet paper. It
takes about 4 flushes to get rid of it. The flush seems really weak. Excuse
my stupidity because im not very good at DIY but is there anything I can do
about this ? Like i said, the old one was totally fine so it must be
something with the new toilet.

Have you got a water saving flush mechanism? A short push of the handle
gives a short flush (for disposal of urine). Holding down the handle
gives a longer flush suitable for disposal of solid waste/paper.

Alternatively the water level in the system may be too low. Remove the
cover of the tank and check the level of the water with respect to the
overflow outlet. If the level is obviously very low then adjust the
level up a bit. Depending on the mechanism fitted, there may be an
adjustment on the float otherwise bend the float arm up a bit to give a
higher water level.

--
Alan

John Rumm

Ollie wrote:

We had our bathroom suite replaced about 2 years ago (the old one was
falling apart so we purchased a fairly cheap one from a local diy store).
The flush in the old toilet was fine, no problem. But the new one is really
starting to get on my nerves. It basically won't flush toilet paper. It
takes about 4 flushes to get rid of it. The flush seems really weak. Excuse
my stupidity because im not very good at DIY but is there anything I can do
about this ? Like i said, the old one was totally fine so it must be
something with the new toilet.

Sounds like you may have one of the modern "dual flush" water saving
WCs. They have two modes of flush, "inadequate", and "totaly inadequate" ;-)

Have you tried holding the flush leaver for longer? That will often get
the longer flush.

The modern versions of these are not too bad in that they give a short
but powerful flush that usually does the job, the older water saving
ones are not as good however. If you want to change something you may
find swapping out the valve for a modern design may help.

Is this a close coupled design? or one with separate cistern adn bowl
conected via a pipe?

--
Cheers,

John.

nightjar

"Ollie" wrote in message
This question might sound bizarre but i need to ask it.

We had our bathroom suite replaced about 2 years ago (the old one was
falling apart so we purchased a fairly cheap one from a local diy store).
The flush in the old toilet was fine, no problem. But the new one is
really starting to get on my nerves. It basically won't flush toilet
paper. It takes about 4 flushes to get rid of it. The flush seems really
weak. Excuse my stupidity because im not very good at DIY but is there
anything I can do about this ? Like i said, the old one was totally fine
so it must be something with the new toilet.

It could be the fact that modern cisterns contain less water. It could be
that there is a good reason why expensive WCs are expensive. However, it is
also worth checking that the drains and vent pipe are not blocked in any
way.

Colin Bignell

I used to have a so called water saving cistern that regularly took 3
or 4 flushes to get the waste away. Try telling the nutters that came
up with that idea that 4 flushes from a water saving cistern uses more
more water than 1 flush from a non water saving cistern. Presumabley
the same people that tell us all to save water but turn a blind eye to
25% of the supply being lost before it even reaches the user.

Kevin

Phil

I seem to have the opposite experience. Not long replaced our 'old' 9
litre bog with a dual 3/6 litre flush water-saving compact one. Now one
flush @ 6 litres almost always takes away what one/two 9 litre flushed
just used to send swirling round and round...
Don't know the make, but was of middle eastern origin.

zaax

The old adage comes to mind. If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown
flush it down.
--
zaax

Ollie wrote:
This question might sound bizarre but i need to ask it.

We had our bathroom suite replaced about 2 years ago (the old one was

falling apart so we purchased a fairly cheap one from a local diy

store).
The flush in the old toilet was fine, no problem. But the new one is

really
starting to get on my nerves. It basically won't flush toilet paper.

It
takes about 4 flushes to get rid of it. The flush seems really weak.

Excuse
my stupidity because im not very good at DIY but is there anything I

can do
about this ? Like i said, the old one was totally fine so it must be

something with the new toilet.

Thank you !

Whip your cistern cover off, adjust the float or fill valve so the
water level fills up as high as it can, ie within 1/4" of the overflow.
Makes all the difference.

NT

the flush system that I fitted in my house has a whole part way up
the syphon unit , This lets air in and means that more water is left in
the tank after a flush. I seem to remember that they idea is that you
can block the whole up if you want a longer flush ( or you just dont
have a meter fitted I suppose )

Simon

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie
This question might sound bizarre but i need to ask it.

We had our bathroom suite replaced about 2 years ago (the old one was
falling apart so we purchased a fairly cheap one from a local diy store).
The flush in the old toilet was fine, no problem. But the new one is really
starting to get on my nerves. It basically won't flush toilet paper. It
takes about 4 flushes to get rid of it. The flush seems really weak. Excuse
my stupidity because im not very good at DIY but is there anything I can do
about this ? Like i said, the old one was totally fine so it must be
something with the new toilet.

Thank you !
Hi Ollie
Its sounds to me its a fault with the syphon unit ,inside of it is a plastic sheet diaphragm,which when flushed lifts up sending water into the toilet pan ,

what you need to do is take the top off the cistern lid ,an have a look at the syphon unit ,some newer models can be taken apart insitu ,others need the cold supply turning off an the toilet flushed an the cistern emptied ,
I use an old sponge to soak up the water in the bottom ,then you must dismantle the syphon depending on you toilet ,

it may be close coupled (the cistern sits directly on the pan)or its a low level cistern on the wall with flush pipe ,which ever way you need to dismantle the syphon
you can then replace the diaphragm,or if you have problems get a new one they are cheap