Posted to alt.home.repair
LurfysMa

Default Artificial grass for home use?

Has anyone had a good experience putting in artificial grass in a home
setting?

I am mainly thinking about the back yard. It's a fairly shallow yard
surrounded by tall trees and a two-story house. It doesn't get enough
sun for a really healthy lawn. This is especially true on the side of
the house, which is a narrow strip that gets close to zero sun.

I would like to investigate putting in artificial lawn. Myabe I would
do the side of the house first and see how that goes. If we like that,
we could do the entire back lawn.

We live in the San Francisco bay area. The climate is mild. We have no
pets and the kids are grown, so it won't get a lot of use. Mostly the
occasional garden party.

Here are some links. Any experience with any of these?

http://www.foreverlawninc.com/
http://www.synlawn.com/synlawnhome1.html
http://www.sprinturf.com/

Thanks

--
For email, use
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

LurfysMa wrote:
[...]

Interesting idea, but I would worry about mold and moss if it is not in
the sun. Do you get any moss issues there in the shady spots?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

LurfysMa wrote:
[...]

Some communities have ordinances against it.

Is $10,000 for a 1000 foot lawn in your budget?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard Blaine

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
Has anyone had a good experience putting in artificial grass in a home
setting?

I am mainly thinking about the back yard. It's a fairly shallow yard
surrounded by tall trees and a two-story house. It doesn't get enough
sun for a really healthy lawn. This is especially true on the side of
the house, which is a narrow strip that gets close to zero sun.

I would like to investigate putting in artificial lawn. Myabe I would
do the side of the house first and see how that goes. If we like that,
we could do the entire back lawn.

We live in the San Francisco bay area. The climate is mild. We have no
pets and the kids are grown, so it won't get a lot of use. Mostly the
occasional garden party.

Only in San Fransissy would someone even think of doing that ;-)

Rick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
[...]

My daughter put it at their house. It is a smallish area, probably 750 sf.
They love it. I was skeptical, but it has weathered very well for being
two years old. This is in Las Vegas where the sun is brutal. No fading.
Yet. They did have two pug dogs for over a year, and their presence did not
affect the grass.

My SIL is the type who researches everything to death. In the process of
selecting a contractor, he learned that there are different grades,
different warranties, different substrates, different thicknesses of
substrates, etc. Not just a piece of AstroTurf you can slam down anywhere.

Somewhat spendy, or I would consider it for the 1,000 sf of friggin Bermuda
we have to dig out and poison out over the next few months until September
1. We may change our minds before Sept. 1, and just go with the lawn you
vacuum.

Ask your local contractors for satisfied customers you can contact. If they
don't have any, or won't provide any, that should tell you something about
that particular contractor. Don't buy from anything but a contractor. You
will pay more, but you will not be searching for them if something goes
wrong down the road. Shop around. Educate yourself on the different grades
and substrates. You will be spending a considerable chunk of ca$h, so
research it.

Steve
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
LurfysMa

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:59:33 GMT, Rich256 wrote:

LurfysMa wrote:
[...]

Which communities are those?

Is $10,000 for a 1000 foot lawn in your budget?

It might be.

--
For email, use
Posted to alt.home.repair
LurfysMa

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:10:54 -0500, "Richard Blaine"
rick@clubamericaine wrote:

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
.. .
Has anyone had a good experience putting in artificial grass in a home
setting?

I am mainly thinking about the back yard. It's a fairly shallow yard
surrounded by tall trees and a two-story house. It doesn't get enough
sun for a really healthy lawn. This is especially true on the side of
the house, which is a narrow strip that gets close to zero sun.

I would like to investigate putting in artificial lawn. Myabe I would
do the side of the house first and see how that goes. If we like that,
we could do the entire back lawn.

We live in the San Francisco bay area. The climate is mild. We have no
pets and the kids are grown, so it won't get a lot of use. Mostly the
occasional garden party.

Only in San Fransissy would someone even think of doing that ;-)

And what enlightened city do you live in, Rickie?

Rick

--
For email, use
Posted to alt.home.repair
LurfysMa

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 14:43:51 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Do you happen to know the brand of turn they ended up buying and the
approximate cost/sq ft?

--
For email, use
Posted to alt.home.repair
LurfysMa

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 00:35:48 GMT, PaPaPeng wrote:

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 13:00:57 -0800, LurfysMa
wrote:

Has anyone had a good experience putting in artificial grass in a home
setting?

My yard is next to a schoolyard cum public park. The public park
grass has overwhelmed my Kentucky grass sodded lawn more than a decade
ago. I love it for its hardiness and low maintenance. I don't water
my lawn and had only applied fertilizer maybe four times over 25
years. In a dry spell it may look scrawny and brown. But it is never
bare dirt and the moment it rains the grass rebounds overnight and I
have to mow within a week. The recommendation then is to find out the
grass the local park uses and seed you lawn with that.

That is a good suggestion -- especially if I find a grass that is
doing well in a heavily shaded area. Thanks.

--
For email, use

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kathy

"New & Improved - N/F John" wrote in
message news:ahtNf.5804$FE2.330@trnddc01...
How about a moss lawn? I heard it's the next big thing.

My front yard is mostly moss. It's wonderful to walk on most of
the time but right now it's littered with sticks and itchy-balls.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"LurfysMa" wrote
Do you happen to know the brand of turn they ended up buying and the
approximate cost/sq ft?

I will ask and post it. Surprising that one of the know-it-alls hasn't
posted that information yet. ;-)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Cato

--On Thursday, March 2, 2006 12:35 AM +0000 PaPaPeng

wrote:

Has anyone had a good experience putting in artificial grass in a home
setting?

My yard is next to a schoolyard cum public park. The public park
grass has overwhelmed my Kentucky grass sodded lawn more than a decade
ago. I love it for its hardiness and low maintenance. I don't water
my lawn and had only applied fertilizer maybe four times over 25
years. In a dry spell it may look scrawny and brown. But it is never
bare dirt and the moment it rains the grass rebounds overnight and I
have to mow within a week. The recommendation then is to find out the
grass the local park uses and seed you lawn with that.

You can also check with local landscapers or nurseries to see what they may
recommend. There are certainly blends of grass recommended for shady
locations. If you can't find one that you like, there are a lot of
non-grass alternatives that you may find aesthetically pleasing. Are you
set on having a lawn, or are you open to other sorts of ground cover?

I confess a prejudice against synthetic grass without a lot of research or
knowledge of the current products. If/when I go back to Vegas I'll check
out the installation at Wynn. If a product can look good and weather well
in that environment, I'd have to reconsider my opinion.

mark
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

wrote:

Has anyone had a good experience putting in artificial grass in a home
setting?

My yard is next to a schoolyard cum public park. The public park
grass has overwhelmed my Kentucky grass sodded lawn more than a decade
ago. I love it for its hardiness and low maintenance. I don't water
my lawn and had only applied fertilizer maybe four times over 25
years. In a dry spell it may look scrawny and brown. But it is never
bare dirt and the moment it rains the grass rebounds overnight and I
have to mow within a week. The recommendation then is to find out the
grass the local park uses and seed you lawn with that.

That is a good suggestion -- especially if I find a grass that is
doing well in a heavily shaded area. Thanks.

How long could you run grow-lamps for the price of the artificial
turf? What else would grow there if you weren't bent on grass?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

LurfysMa wrote:
[...]

Artificial "grass" is junk, IMO. My only experience with it was a
door-mat, which always wanted to blow away. We have a few spots around
the building where nothing, or very little, will grow. We used
landscape cloth and river rock to cover them; some also have large
stepping stones in the area. Very few weeds, water drains fine through
landscape cloth. You can stick some shade loving plants in the area, or
put pots on it. Much nicer than plastic ) I do not like lava rock,
for a number of reasons, which is also used as ground cover. River rock
stays in place if you use leaf blower to clean it off, unlike lava r.
The area is still usable, as chairs or barbecue can be placed on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
LurfysMa

wrote:

Has anyone had a good experience putting in artificial grass in a home
setting?

My yard is next to a schoolyard cum public park. The public park
grass has overwhelmed my Kentucky grass sodded lawn more than a decade
ago. I love it for its hardiness and low maintenance. I don't water
my lawn and had only applied fertilizer maybe four times over 25
years. In a dry spell it may look scrawny and brown. But it is never
bare dirt and the moment it rains the grass rebounds overnight and I
have to mow within a week. The recommendation then is to find out the
grass the local park uses and seed you lawn with that.

That is a good suggestion -- especially if I find a grass that is
doing well in a heavily shaded area. Thanks.

How long could you run grow-lamps for the price of the artificial
turf?

Probably quite a long time, but the maintenance would be at least
inconvenient and I doubt the wife would want it.

What else would grow there if you weren't bent on grass?

There are lots of options, of course: ground cover, ground cover
around stepping stones, wood chips or bark, gravel, concrete, ...

All of those have been considered, but we would really prefer grass
(or a grass substitute) because we do walk through there occasionally.

--
For email, use