Posted to alt.home.repair
LurfysMa

Default Artificial grass for home use?

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:55:46 -0500, Goedjn wrote:

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:34:01 -0800, LurfysMa
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 00:35:48 GMT, PaPaPeng wrote:

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 13:00:57 -0800, LurfysMa
wrote:

Has anyone had a good experience putting in artificial grass in a home
setting?

My yard is next to a schoolyard cum public park. The public park
grass has overwhelmed my Kentucky grass sodded lawn more than a decade
ago. I love it for its hardiness and low maintenance. I don't water
my lawn and had only applied fertilizer maybe four times over 25
years. In a dry spell it may look scrawny and brown. But it is never
bare dirt and the moment it rains the grass rebounds overnight and I
have to mow within a week. The recommendation then is to find out the
grass the local park uses and seed you lawn with that.

That is a good suggestion -- especially if I find a grass that is
doing well in a heavily shaded area. Thanks.

How long could you run grow-lamps for the price of the artificial
turf?

Probably quite a long time, but the maintenance would be at least
inconvenient and I doubt the wife would want it.

What else would grow there if you weren't bent on grass?

There are lots of options, of course: ground cover, ground cover
around stepping stones, wood chips or bark, gravel, concrete, ...

All of those have been considered, but we would really prefer grass
(or a grass substitute) because we do walk through there occasionally.

--
For email, use